Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

crocodile

So Batman gets first billing?

Why is this sounding far more like a Batman film then the second Superman movie?

Well, in the comic book which inspired a lot of things about this film (including the costume) Batman beats the shit out of Superman.

Karol

Worst title ever?

I think it's too wordy. Man of Steel: Trinity and Batman & Superman: Dawn of Justice have a better ring to them.

So Batman gets first billing?

Why is this sounding far more like a Batman film then the second Superman movie?

Well, in the comic book which inspired a lot of things about this film (including the costume) Batman beats the shit out of Superman.

Karol

I don't do comic book logic. This movie is possibly going to be excruciating for me to endure if they go down that route. What a shame Cavill's Supes didn't get his own sequel.

I'm sure Superman will still have a legit sequel. I'm not seeing this as a direct sequel to Man of Steel, but more as a launch of a different series, or part of the Justice League umbrella.

It's the set up for the Justice League movie hence the "dawn" of Justice. Kinda like Captain America was the "First" Avenger.

Ok, but that one was still mostly a Captain America movie. Apart from the epilogue and the tesseract it was it's own thing.

BvS:DoJ will have to establish Clark Kent working at the Planet and his relationship with Lois, introduce a completely new version Batman and Wonder Woman.

It's like they wanna do Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger in one film...

DC is in a rush to get a Justice League movie out, to catch up with Marvel. I mean, no one knows how long this superhero fad will last, you know?

DC is in a rush to get a Justice League movie out, to catch up with Marvel. I mean, no one knows how long this superhero fad will last, you know?

You never know...but with all the reboots these Superhero films are getting these days it's gonna be put in the ground fairly soon here. This film may fail big time...

I don't know about this movie flopping big time. The film itself would have to rival Batman & Robin in terms of sheer awfulness (let's face it, even those who hate MOS aren't grouping it in with B&R), and Affleck wouldn't want to repeat that Daredevil fiasco soon.

The premise of the movie alone will get butts in seats. Now whether the movie has more to offer than the "Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman on screen together" novelty is another thing entirely.

Hilariously bad title. Kind of mind boggling that they went with that. All they really had to do was some permutation of World's Finest and call it a day.

The BvS movie is certainly destined to have a great opening weekend but look at ASM2. Terrible reviews, overall bad word of mouth (at least from what I can tell) and it still made over $600M.

Didn't we all read ages ago that Nolan is not really involved in this one? He wants to concentrate on only one project at a time. He's making Interstellar.

I'm not excited by this movie in the least, but I guess I'm the only one here who sort of digs the title. It's refreshingly unpretentious and free of the typical pomp Nolan introduced to the genre. It's pulpy and self-aware. After all these characters were originally superheroes from comic books and in that regard the title is completely authentic.

I'm not excited by this movie in the least, but I guess I'm the only one here who sort of digs the title. It's refreshingly unpretentious and free of the typical pomp Nolan introduced to the genre. It's pulpy and self-aware. After all these characters were originally superheroes from comic books and in that regard the title is completely authentic.

I think the title is mostly fine. It spells out the movie's premise, but making it a "vs." film -- people will think it's 2 hours of Batman and Superman duking it out. It should be Batman & Superman: Dawn of Justice or something to that effect.

I'm sure some fan boys creamed their drawers over the title!

Well, great movies have great titles, Joey! How good can this one be?

"What's your favorite film?"

"Batman v. Superman: Dawn Of Justice, man!"

I dunno, I don't hear me saying that yet.

Alex

It really doesn't have much of a chance of being one, does it?

Superhero films with too many heroes and/or villains never seem to work out. See Batman & Robin, X-Men 3, Spider-man 3, The Amazing Spider-man 2, The Avengers (though most seem to love that one)

I know many feel that way. it was funny, sure, and the cast was great, but... meh.

Alex

I'm sure in common conversation it will still just be "Batman vs. Superman" - same as people wouldn't answer the same question with "Dr. Strangelove or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, man!"

And I'm fairly sure nobody will call it their favorite movie anyway ;)

I know many feel that way. it was funny, sure, and the cast was great, but... meh.

(Y)

Alex

I don't expect this to be good at all Alex. I expect a train wreck or a ferry boat accident or flight 370.

He also loved MoS but he was going to watch it again to see if it held up. He's not reported back.

Batman Begins had a lot going on too, especially for an origins story, and that worked very well. By comparison, The Dark Knight seemed much more straight forward.

Admittedly, BvS is trickier because they have to establish the new Batman character, his world (Alfred, Gotham, etc) and Wonder Woman. It can be done in a way so the movie isn't terrible, but they probably should have scaled it back a little.

I would have done a new Batman movie in 2015, second Superman movie and Wonder Women movie in 2016, then Justice League in 2017

The timing is strange since they just wrapped up a wildly successful but very self-contained and closed ended Batman franchise and are now throwing that same character into another reimagined universe so quickly after the last film. You wonder if they will have an Affleck solo-Batman film out in the next couple of years. That would be weirder than the Amazing Spider-man reboot that a lot of people were against.

I would have done a new Batman movie in 2015, second Superman movie and Wonder Women movie in 2016, then Justice League in 2017

Yup, but DC is too desperate to catch up to Marvel to draw it out like that.

I think a standalone Affleck Batman movie would be a lost puppy of a movie, with no identity. Would it be a sequel to TDKR? If it's a soft reboot for the Man of Steel crossover franchise, it would be rather restricted. Better to just hit the ground running by bringing in Superman and not waste a film installment.

It really doesn't have much of a chance of being one, does it?

Superhero films with too many heroes and/or villains never seem to work out. See Batman & Robin, X-Men 3, Spider-man 3, The Amazing Spider-man 2, The Avengers (though most seem to love that one)

Chris Terrio is rewriting Goyer's script, so it could be decent once all is said and done. And with Argo, Terrio has worked with ensembles before, so it's not a big stretch for him. But I think Snyder will make or break this movie, in terms of execution.