John Williams at the Hollywood Bowl August 30 and 31, 2013

scallenger

Both days at 8PM and feature special guest... Julie Andrews? Not sure how she connects with John Williams, but I like her nonetheless! She is there for a tribute for director Blake Edwards and composer Henry Mancini.

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/john-williams-maestro-of-movies/2013-08-30

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/john-williams-maestro-of-movies/2013-08-31

I'm assuming tickets will be available at some later time. Since I missed out on this concert last year (and have been regrettably angry about it ever since), I MUST make it to this one on one of those days. Anyone else think they may go?

Well someone makes more money than me! Haha. ;)

I wonder if since it's the anniversary of Jurassic Park that he will play something from it like he did for E.T.? Imagine a live performance of Journey to the Island set to the images on a screen... that would be amazing.

Still looks grim for my part. Not only because I can't seem to get airplane tickets cheap enough, but also because the accomodation in Boston for 5-6 days was far more expensive than I had thought! As I've said before, I would need to combine this with a 2-week holiday covering Boston and New York. Otherwise, I can't really justify the trip across the half the globe!

I wonder how difficult it will be to sell a single ticket, even though the seat is nearly upfront. It's more than $100, after all. Usually, people are minimum two, so they would want to sit together.

Both days at 8PM and feature special guest... Julie Andrews? Not sure how she connects with John Williams, but I like her nonetheless! She is there for a tribute for director Blake Edwards and composer Henry Mancini.

http://www.hollywood...vies/2013-08-30

http://www.hollywood...vies/2013-08-31

I'm assuming tickets will be available at some later time. Since I missed out on this concert last year (and have been regrettably angry about it ever since), I MUST make it to this one on one of those days. Anyone else think they may go?

Well, they did this together:

I think tickets usually go on sale in May. I'm not sure if I'm going this year or not...

I wonder how difficult it will be to sell a single ticket, even though the seat is nearly upfront. It's more than $100, after all. Usually, people are minimum two, so they would want to sit together.

You have to collect this ticket when you get there, that's a policy for the overseas transactions.

But,.. you can just e-mail them and ask to cancel your order. If you really need to.

Karol

Thor, how much did you pay for your ticket for the Hollywood Bowl? What seemed to be the best price for the best seating possible for it?

I paid $112 including fees. However, the ticket is waiting for me in Boston...they didn't send it over here. So if I'm selling it, I'm not selling the physical ticket, but the pick-up confirmation number. The best seat I could get for it was Orchestra Section 101 Row: C Seat: 3.

You have to collect this ticket when you get there, that's a policy for the overseas transactions.

But,.. you can just e-mail them and ask to cancel your order. If you really need to.

Karol

Really? You can cancel it and get a refund? I assume that is up to a certain date?

• 2 months later...

Seems like group tickets are already on sale. They don't list an ETA when single tickets are on sale. Last year they were in May. Wonder if it will happen again the same time?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, bought my ticket! For it's price I think I got a pretty good seat!

Friday performance, Section H, Row 16, Seat 109. Wonder who I will sit next to? I got the LAST seat that was available in Section H. Glad I didn't wait too long to buy my ticket after the 4th.

http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0B004A7DB8F48C02?SREF=SLfbk-013_0B004A7DB8F48C02

Anyone else plan on seeing it at the Friday performance? I'm wondering if this performance will be recorded again like last year's Hollywood Bowl and then aired online? I still wonder if Williams will perform the Jurassic Park theme this year, since it's the 20th Anniversary.

• 2 months later...

BUMP! :)

This concert is hardly a month away! I can't wait!

My question still stands: For those who have been to this concert before, what is the BEST way to go about parking/shuttle transport to get to the Bowl?

BUMP! :)

This concert is hardly a month away! I can't wait!

My question still stands: For those who have been to this concert before, what is the BEST way to go about parking/shuttle transport to get to the Bowl?

I would actually park the car somewhere else entirely, take the tube to Hollywood Highland Center and walk up from there. It will take about 10-15 minutes, depending on your pace.

Where did you end up parking, or did you have a car at all when you came out here? You don't want to park just ANYWHERE in L.A, haha. ;)

From looking at the site options, it seems like parking at one of their shuttle locations is the best bet:

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/visit/getting-to-the-bowl/bowlbus-shuttle

I caught a ride with someone else myself, but I noticed the chaos at the lot before the concert. After the concert, a group of us simply strolled down to Hollywood Highland for a drink. Took about 15 minutes or so. I'm glad I didn't have a car.

But yeah -- that shuttle bus option sounds like a good alternative.

Thanks Indy4! But the special guest was already revealed to be Julie Andrews, there for a tribute for director Blake Edwards and composer Henry Mancini. While not Spielberg (hell that WOULD be amazing), I definitely think she is a cool actress that would be awesome to see!

I personally would park in the garage for the hollywood and highland mall, it's really not a very long walk. I'll be walking since I'm staying at the Loews hotel in the hollywood and highland mall and then I'm picking up my grandparents at Belmont village, which is on the way.

I personally would park in the garage for the hollywood and highland mall, it's really not a very long walk. I'll be walking since I'm staying at the Loews hotel in the hollywood and highland mall and then I'm picking up my grandparents at Belmont village, which is on the way.

That's a good tip. I had forgotten it was a garage underneath HH. As I said, it's about 10-15 minutes walk from there (slightly uphill).

That's the only good parking in the area. Walking up highland is easier than driving, it's a real mess, even more so during a bowl concert.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I just came back from it... what a cool concert! I accidentally left the program in my friend's car who met up with me there, so I'll just go by what I remember.

The first hour was purely devoted to a Henry Mancini tribute that featured a medley of his Peter Gun/Hatari!/Charade themes (set to clips), the Pink Panther theme (set to some funny video clips from the films), "The Days of Wine and Roses" sung by Monica Mancini, parts from Victor/Victoria, and even an arrangement of "Moon River" from Breakfast At Tiffany's. In-between all of this was the song "Whistling In The Dark" from the Julie Andrews film Darling Lili, although she didn't sing it herself (just the film's vocal). But she did appear and introduce many of the Mancini segments and told a couple of stories about the pairing of him with the director and her. It was overall a well-done and fun look at Mancini, and it ended with Julie Andrews being walked off the stage by a guy in a Pink Panther costume, who she kissed on the nose. Cute. ;)

Now onto Williams' work...

From what I recall, it started off with... Flight To Neverland (concert arrangement) from Hook! This was probably my favorite of the night. It was performed wonderfully, and it was such a joy to just feel the energy of one of my favorites pieces in person!

Then... there was a special little surprise. Much like how last year he performed the final 15 minutes of E.T. to the film, he did the same thing this time with the later part in Raiders Of The Lost Ark in the In The Idol's Temple/Flight From Peru scene! Pretty awesome! However, I honestly think he should have chosen a more impressive scene to perform live to than the film's opening (like maybe one of the later action scenes). It was then followed by Marion's Theme (concert arrangement) and then I believe the Raider's End Credits (which features clips from all 3 Indy films... yeah... they totally skimped out on the 4th. LOL).

After the Indy music, we were treated to With Malice Toward None from Lincoln.

And then... it was basically just all about Star Wars. He started off with Clash of the Light Sabres from Empire Strikes Back (but for some reason I think it was some arrangement of it). Then it was followed I think by Parade Of The Ewoks from Return Of The Jedi, which I don't think is a common one for him to do these days, is it? Then there was, of course, the Star Wars Main Title arrangement. For some reason I feel like there may have been one more of this set, but this may have been it. There was also this cute moment where Williams said "here is a video clip of a normal day for me at work" or something like that, and it shows a LEGO VERSION OF JOHN WILLIAMS on the piano with a Lego Darth Vader, and Vader is trying to tell Williams how he wants his theme to be played on the piano. It was REALLY cute.

Now onto the encores... we got three! The first one was Yoda's Theme from Empire Strikes Back. After that they performed The Imperial March from Empire, as well. The final encore was... Flying Theme from E.T.! Definitely some good encores here! The audience really wanted more but he made the "go to sleep" gesture, and that was it, lol.

I'm pretty sure the above is pretty accurate (despite me being pretty tired, lol). But I can verify tomorrow, hopefully. However... I was honestly a bit bummed there was no Jurassic Park music performed at all, considering it's the 20th Anniversary. :( And I wasn't the only one! I heard A LOT of people actually voicing out loud "Where was Jurassic Park?!" after it was all over. Maybe he is saving that for the San Fran concert with Spielberg? So yeah... honestly a bit bummed.

But hey, it was definitely a nice selection of themes. My only true complaint was that it was too Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars heavy. I mean, even two of the encores were Star Wars... I had only expected one of them to be. I wonder if tomorrow night's performance will have different encores? I won't be there to find out, but I know someone who will. I'll ask her tomorrow!

A friend who attended the concert did take some videos he may put on Youtube tomorrow. I believe he captured the entire concert (at least the Williams portions), although sadly his camera malfunctioned during the Star Wars Main Title part. :( Not that we haven't heard that performed a million times, though. ;)

There was also this cute moment where Williams said "here is a video clip of a normal day for me at work" or something like that, and it shows a LEGO VERSION OF JOHN WILLIAMS on the piano with a Lego Darth Vader, and Vader is trying to tell Williams how he wants his theme to be played on the piano. It was REALLY cute.

I guess it's this one:

That's made by the two sick geniuses Jon and Al Kaplan.

Yep, Maurizio, that was the lego video, haha! :D

And yeah, Indy4, I had a feeling Parade of the Ewoks at least was a rare one. I never would have thought that one would have been played, haha.

Btw, I found out through Facebook, unbeknownst to me, that composer Bill Brown attended the concert! Damn, I wish I would have run into him. You'll all most likely recognize his work on a lot of games from the 90s early 00's like many Tom Clancy games, Lineage 2: Chaotic Chronicle, Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth, many of the Wolfenstein games, Michael Crichton's Timeline game, and most notably for Williams fans Trespasser: The Lost World. He also does the music for CSI: NY. He was kind enough to send me promos of the Timeline and Trespasser score in the past. :)

I think it was. Hopefully when/if my friend uploads his videos of it I can show you guys for sure. He was able to get some good zoom-ins on the orchestra, too!

Ah on the main JWFAN page, looks like someone else has started uploading videos. Here is part of the concert with Mancini stuff, and it says more will be up soon.

Here are my friend's videos from the August 30th performance! He wasn't able to record everything due to camera mishaps. As noted, the Star Wars Main Title is cut off due to his camera's malfunction, so it doesn't start at the beginning, sadly. There is also some coughing from a guy closeby, but otherwise not bad.

Star Wars: Main Title (partial)

Yoda's Theme and Imperial March

Flying from E.T.

"Whistling In The Dark" (set to film vocal by Julie Andrews from Darling Lili)

Mancini Medley (Peter Gun/Hatari!/Charade)

Clash Of The Light Sabres

Star Spangled Banner (heh, why not?)

Ugh, I don't really like this new version. It's just a patchwork of other cues from the saga, very awkwardly stitched together. I guess he needed a cue that contrasted Yoda's theme with Vader's so the video would make sense. And the best parts of the original cue are gone.