New Williams Work: "Just Down West Street… on the left" - Tanglewood Music Center 75th Anniversary commission

Tom

I mentioned this is the KUSC thread, but perhaps it deserves its own thread: in that interview, Williams mentions that has been asked to write a piece for the 75th Anniversary of Tanglewood in 2015, which he hope to do and have Seiji Ozawa conduct. I could see him going any number of directions with this. At least we should be able to catch it on the broadcast of whichever concert it is performed.

As mentioned below, this is confusing, as this anniversary has already come and gone. I guess we will have to wait and see what he is talking about.

It is, of course, pure speculation at this point, but if he wants Ozawa to conduct, my guess is that it would be more of longer concert-type work like Tributes versus a short fanfare or such. I would love a concerto for orchestra. Given William's love of Tanglewood, I would expect a heartfelt piece, whatever it is.

I would love a piano concerto. I think piano is an instrument that he hasn't fully explored.

Well, we're still waiting for "Conversations" to get a recording somehow (and of course the 1951 sonata, but that will never see the light of day). That's a start. But yeah...like you, I'd love to see him explore his main instrument more now towards the end of his career.

I'm looking forward to this new piece, whatever it is.

I hope it's a long tone poem, or a trombone concerto. Regardless I'm excited!

I listened to the interview and somehow I missed this--thanks for starting the new thread!

I'm really confused. Why does Williams say that "2015 will be the 75th anniversary of Tanglewood"? Tanglewood's 75th Anniversary was two years ago!

http://artsfuse.org/65064/fuse-concert-review-tanglewoods-75th-birthday-shindig-boston-symphony-orchestra-tanglewood-festival-chorus-and-guests/

Perhaps he'll use the opportunity of the new Star Wars films to write the first love theme for the series and expand on that for Tanglewood's 75th anniversary.

I think Williams was speaking about Tanglewood Music Center student academy's 75th anniversary, which is in 2015.

I found this brief mention in the Berkshire Eagle.

Then what anniversary is he talking about?

The Tanglewood Music Center celebrates its 75th anniversary in 2015, having been inaugurated in 1940 as the Berkshire Music Center. Seiji Ozawa's involvement at Tanglewood preceded his tenure as BSO director.

(As Mikko has already stated.)

A Concerto for Orchestra would be a likable candidate... For several years, a piece like that was rumored as a farewell gift to Seiji Ozawa, when he left the BSO, but never came to be. Since Ozawa name is attached to this, and he was, of course, a big part of the TMC, I kind of find a long piece for orchestra to be the best bet.

A Concerto for Orchestra would be a likable candidate... For several years, a piece like that was rumored as a farewell gift to Seiji Ozawa, when he left the BSO, but never came to be. Since Ozawa name is attached to this, and he was, of course, a big part of the TMC, I kind of find a long piece for orchestra to be the best bet.

Williams has already written two pieces for Ozawa. What is it with their relationship anyway? ;)

Fingers crossed! And let's hope Ozawa is well enough to conduct whatever Williams writes for him! :)

Williams has already written two pieces for Ozawa. What is it with their relationship anyway? ;)

Ozawa was from the start, a great supporter of the Boston Pops, as opposed to previous BSO music directors who looked at it as a cash cow only, without much a artistic relevance to the main orchestra. He usually attended the late Arthur Fiedler concerts whenever he was around, and when Williams came on-board, they became close friends. Ozawa conducted Williams music with some regularity, and as mentioned some was even written with Ozawa in mind, or upon his request.

Williams was also the author of a foreword on a wonderful book of photographs celebrating Ozawa's tenure with the BSO. Back in 1991, Ozawa visited the "Hook" sets upon Williams invitation.

I hope Williams has the time to write the piece this spring/summer, so that he does not have to rush it after Star Wars and any other movies that might come up. If I remember correctly, he had to quickly write Tributes after the Phantom Menace score. Then again, that is one of my favorite concert hall pieces, so maybe quick writing is a good thing for Williams.

and in honor of Seiji (it takes a minute to get entertaining):

What is " Tributes"? Never heard of it

Also called For Seiji! it is a piece John Williams composed in honour of Seiji Ozawa's and Boston Symphony Orchestra's 25 year collaboration.

As the Concert Work section of the main pages says:

For Seiji!

Composed in 1999, as a gift o­n Seiji Osawa’s 25th year with the Boston Symphony

Premiered o­n April 22, 1999 in Boston (Seiji Osawa/Boston Symphony)

I don't know, but I think he's barking up the wrong tree.

I don't know, but I think he's barking up the wrong tree.

Hugging the wrong tree you mean?

When Ozawa was made music director of the Vienna State Opera, they announced that Williams would give a concert of his music here. That never materialised.

When Ozawa was made music director of the Vienna State Opera, they announced that Williams would give a concert of his music here. That never materialised.

Johnny's aversion to travel to his beloved Europe has long roots then.

Ozawa was the one who programed Williams' music from Star Wars for the 2010 Vienna Philharmonic's Summer Night Concert. Ozawa conducting duties ended up being replaced by Franz Welser-Most, due to his illness.

Why would the Vienna State Opera orchestra perform pop music?

• 11 months later...

The single mention of it in the KUSC interview is all we know about it. There has been no further information released about it.

The official site for his Tanglewood date this summer doesn't mention it

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/69830

The single mention of it in the KUSC interview is all we know about it. There has been no further information released about it.

The official site for his Tanglewood date this summer doesn't mention it

http://www.bso.org/Performance/Detail/69830

I think JW's work had to be part of this specific Tanglewood activity:

Celebrating 75 years of commitment to composers and new music, the TMC has commissioned some 30 works for performance during the 2015 season, including 15 world premieres. These will be spread throughout the TMC programs, with a special concentration during the Festival of Contemporary Music.

http://www.bso.org/brands/tanglewood/features/2015-tanglewood-season/tanglewood-music-center-75th-anniversary.aspx

Looking at the programs and press release, there is no mention anywhere of a Williams premiere so far, though.

In the KUSC interview, Williams mentions with a bit of enthusiasm that he had been asked to write a piece and he hoped to do it. Without knowing what he has left to do for SW7, the timeline involved, and his overall health, it is all conjecture, but I think he will write a piece for Tanglewood. His history with and admiration for the program is significant.