Incanus

The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16211 posts
  • Location:Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Posted Today, 04:31 AM

What the fucking hell is that?

Evangelos Odysseas Papathanassiou aka Vangelis.

Ars superior est vita hominum.

"We pop out and come into the world and music is there. We didn't invent it - it's all organised in the atmosphere by divinity or whatever. It's a miracle." - John Williams-

I think music is a stream of some kind. It could be blood. It could be water. It could be ether. Whatever it is it seems to be a living, organic force that’s in motion, that serves humanity and is part of humanity and part of what describes us as humans. We sing, play, dance, all the things that we do. And there is a vibrant and great literature we have been given. ... As musicians, we join the stream. We swim in the stream with all the other millions of music makers. It’s a life force, a strong one, surrounding us and we are part of it. -John Williams-

#42 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18727 posts

Posted Today, 07:44 AM

The synonyms are the giveaway.

Hmm, I still don't understand it. So according to the synonyms, Mr. Big thinks Empire Of The Sun is kitsch and tasteless? 

I have the impression that 'pretentious' is a hollow term that a lot of people like to use each time someone tries to aim higher. For instance, how many times has 2001: A Space Odyssey not been called 'pretentious'? A gazillion times! Is it because the director is only 'pretending' to create something with a deeper meaning, or is it because they simply don't get it and they don't like to feel stupid? Personally, I think it's pretty odd to use this expression the moment we are dealing with art. Every artist is pretentious. They need to be. Spielberg is no exception.

Alex - wondering why people think he is V

Television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable. - David Lynch

#43 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26658 posts

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

I think you're confusing pretentiousness with authenticity and conviction.

Hmm, I still don't understand it. So according to the synonyms, Mr. Big thinks Empire Of The Sun is kitsch and tasteless? 

If that is his opinion, then yes. Those adjectives possibly apply, as far as Mr Big is concerned. Just because you happen to disagree with his summary of the film doesn't change the dictionary definition of the words. I'm not disagreeing with you about a film here, but rather pointing out that what you think something means and what is actually dictionary fact, or 'gospel', are two very different things.

But by all means don't let me get in the way of your amending the English language to suit your requirements.

#44 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18727 posts

Posted Today, 09:12 AM

I think you're confusing pretentiousness with authenticity and conviction.

No, I don't. I just explained that it's a hollow term usually used by people who are quick to question anything that seeks out to aim higher.

Also, the synonyms say different things. "Kitsch" and "tasteless" is not the same as "attempting to impress by affecting greater importance or merit than is actually possessed".
Television is way more interesting than cinema now. It seems like the art-house has gone to cable. - David Lynch

#45 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26658 posts

Posted Today, 09:18 AM

Let's see what Koray thinks about it. He's normally good for a laugh with this sort of proposed ambiguity debate!

#46 Richard

Richard

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4940 posts

Posted Today, 09:24 AM

Nah, that's Duel.

THE BIRDS is a Hitch's masterstoke, and a powerful social allegory. DUEL is just a tribute act.

Allegory? Can you expand on that, Sharkey?

I prefer Alfred Hitchcock's "The Working Class".

#47 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26658 posts

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

Well, I suppose if you were that way inclined you could view the The Birds as a commentary on the Cold War and civilian paranoia: everybody looking up into the sky, worried about sudden danger, people scared to leave their homes, Jessica Tandy's distrust of the non-islander etc.

Not me though. I enjoy the film purely as a technical showcase in which a suspense master demonstrates his many tricks and sleights of hand.

#48 Alexcremers

Alexcremers

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18727 posts

Posted Today, 09:31 AM

Let's see what Koray thinks about it. He's normally good for a laugh with this sort of proposed ambiguity debate!

I dunno, guest2, Koray's famous definition of the word 'art' is only half the truth. In current English, the word 'art' has two meanings. Koray is only aware of one.

#49 guest2

guest2

Grandest Master

• Members
  • 26658 posts

Posted Today, 09:34 AM

Which is precisely why he should join in!

#50 Richard

Richard

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4940 posts

Posted Today, 09:44 AM

I dunno, guest2, Koray's famous definition of the word 'art' is only half the truth. In current English, the word 'art' has two meanings. Koray is only aware of one.

Most of the time, art is spelt with a silent "f".

Like "guest2" (yeah, right?! You do know that it has changed every avatar on every thread?) I enjoy "The Birds" for much the same reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users