Howard Shore's The Battle of the Five Armies (Hobbit Part 3)

Jay

One off-handed mention in the Hobbit and PJ came up with Dune-imitating giant stone eating earth worms. The man has such an imagination!

What would Freud have to say about those worms I wonder?

Whatever one thinks of the wereworms, they look incredible in terms of CGI. Indeed, I find it interesting that these rather peripheral creatures can look so good when others (like those ogre things) look questionable. Is it a time issue, or more a case of certain things being easier to do than others?

Whatever happened to The Nine theme anyway? Did Shore use it but it was cut?

The beginning of The Fallen is kind of similar to it.

I'm still undecided if the statement in the film version of the Dol Guldur sequence is tracked, or if it is part of the entire cue as recorded, and Shore decided to drop it on album because of repetition. There are so much SFX that it's impossible to tell.

What would Freud have to say about those worms I wonder?

I believe he would say

By the way, somebody in the theatre actually shouted "It was an Alaskan Bull Worm!" when the wereworms showed up the one time I suffered through BOTFA.

I would say that the Dwarf Lords not appearing can be explained pretty easily (we never hear of or see the seven Dwarf families post DOS Prologue)

You hope that might be because the sequence was radically edited for the theatrical release, and that, as you say, the EE could fix things. There seem to be a number of stopgaps in the current version of film (just look at the rehashed Radagast footage). Surely Jackson can't be happy with that.

I would say that the Dwarf Lords not appearing can be retconned pretty easily (we never hear of or see the seven Dwarf families post DOS Prologue)

That's not what retcon means.

I'm still undecided if the statement in the film version of the Dol Guldur sequence is tracked, or if it is part of the entire cue as recorded, and Shore decided to drop it on album because of repetition. There are so much SFX that it's impossible to tell.

I think it's tracked from a DOS cue, but they only kept the choir (it was recorded separately, right?), not the orchestral part, so that's why it may sound new.

Yeah to me it sounded tracked but perhaps they later decided to use it to connect to the appearance of the wraiths and did a quick insert for choir only. Who knows.

Surely Jackson can't be happy with that.

I'm not sure what Jackson is happy (or not happy) with anymore...

He has gone beyond good and evil, happy or discontended.

Surely Jackson can't be happy with that.

I'm not sure what Jackson is happy (or not happy) with anymore...

He certainly wouldn't be happy with you

I would say that the Dwarf Lords not appearing can be retconned pretty easily (we never hear of or see the seven Dwarf families post DOS Prologue)

That's not what retcon means.

You are right, but you could change the seemingly previously established fact of the theme being for Dain, to being for the meeting at Ered Luin, or the seven Dwarf Lords.

Who knows what kinds of scenes may be lying on the cutting room floor, not even present in the EEs of any films. We know there's still a ton of stuff unseen for LOTR.

We need more backstory on the dwarf lords in the DoS prologue, during the Battle for Moria flashback. Flashback within a flashback within a flashback. Flashed already?

As long as neither dwarf lords nor PJ flash at me!

:lol:

Oh the humanity! I had already forgotten that! Now you dragged it up again!

Ered Luin meeting flashback in the BOFA EE!

That's my idea! The film should have began with that. You could have segued into the current events with Smaug perfectly, with Dain delivering a chilling final warning to Thorin about unleashing Smaug. Not to mention we could have been introduced to Dain early in a sympathetic way, shown proper interaction between him and Thorin, seen more Dwarven culture, and been given exposition on important events to come (the Arkenstone, the coming of Dwarven aid later on in the story, even Smaug).

You know they really could have done more with the flashback stuff. I realize if it was two films we probably wouldn't have got any, so I am grateful. Furthermore, there are purist types who wouldn't even have this material in the films in the first place; I strongly disagree. But Azanulbizar - they should have stuck to the story, we should have seen Dain, we should have got the Balrog hint, explaining why they did not colonize Moria after that. And as for Thrain in the DoS EE, it was nice to see of course, but it just left me scratching my head to be honest. So you fought Azog, he cut off your finger and took your ring - but why are you in Dol Guldur? That jump was too much. They should have given us more explanation there. For me, a better version of events (consistent with the films) would have been this:

1) Thrain sees Azog behead Thror

2) He goes into a battle frenzy, charging towards Azog but being overwhelmed by his bodyguard; this is the last time Thorin, cut off from Thrain, sees his father

3) Thorin fights Azog and leads the counter-charge, as in the film

4) We later find out that Thrain was knocked out during the fighting, and awoke to see Azog being dragged into Moria, which caused him to angrily charge after him

5) Inside he looks for Azog but is ambushed (would have been a good chance to see more of Moria); Azog is about to kill him, but notices the ring on his finger. He knows his master will take interest in this, and so calls to bring him to Dol Guldur. Azog should not take interest in the ring for his own sake. It's silly.

And for the record, we really should have seen a flashback of Thrain giving Gandalf the map and key before the battle. I find it hard to believe they did not film such a scene. Should have been added in the EE, either as a scene with dialogue (this would be better) or some footage when Gandalf is talking to Thorin about it.

Delusions of grandeur I say!

The search engine is very easy to use. You can type one word and one username, and see every post where that user used that word.