BloodBoal

belatedly turning up to the party but personally I've always liked TSFS, certainly it has its faults but seemed to always watch it as a kid. Has some of my favourite Trek music and moments such as the loss of the Enterprise. It could've been more, yes but it always entertains.

belatedly turning up to the party but personally I've always liked TSFS, certainly it has its faults but seemed to always watch it as a kid. Has some of my favourite Trek music and moments such as the loss of the Enterprise. It could've been more, yes but it always entertains.

Agreed.

It's a strong entry but probably suffers from the continuity problem of having a new actress playing Saavik when they should have just created a new character and the visual effects in space aren't as arresting as TMP and TWOK because the ship exteriors are lit differently.

Enterprise does have more battle damage than from Khan's attack at the start of III. Some comic book explained it as a brush with the Mirror Universe. Were that canon (and of course it isn't) Kirk and co really had a run of bad luck after Khan :)

Enterprise does have more battle damage than from Khan's attack at the start of III. Some comic book explained it as a brush with the Mirror Universe. Were that canon (and of course it isn't) Kirk and co really had a run of bad luck after Khan :)

Funny actually I think it was the official book explained that it ran into some Klingon ships on their way home.

I honestly love this film. Then, again, I guess I love all 10 since I'd rather watch any one of them over most other films in existence. That's how I've always been. Even The Motion Picture, V and the guilty pleasure Next Gens, which are widely reviled.

Indeed. It's a weak first entry for the TNG crew. It's not engaging for non-Trekkies, but it's kinda too dumb for Trekkies (I've always had problems with it since I was lad just coming from watching All Good Things taped off the television on the VCR) and they clearly had no idea how to handle Kirk's character. But...it's entertaining?

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Interesting to note that in this film everyone one in Starflet who isnt part of the regular cast is portrayed as unsympathetic. From the ensign asking about a heroes welcome, to Admiral Morrow, to the captains of the Grissom and Excelsior and ofcourse "Mr. Adventure".

Closely follows TWOK in style and theme but it's not only Spock who is missed. The script, while having some interesting things to say about loyalty, sacrifice, death and rebirth doesnt have the poise and depth that Meyer's story had. Also plot wise, it really is a bit thin. Very linear in it's construction with nothing much in the way of surprises.

The absence of Spock really is felt in this film. This rather heavy handed film offers only a few moments of levity. This is perhaps appropriate considering the subject matter though.

One would assume that with Spock gone, the rest of the characters would get a bit more to do. But though Scotty, Uhura and Sulu all get a single scene to shine, they remain very much as familiar background figures. Bones gets more to do and the scene where he tries to get a transport to Genesis is quite a comic highlight. As usual Deforest gets some of the films best lines. I've always been fond of "That green-blooded sonofabitch, it's his revenge for all those arguments he lost" And lets not forget the gruff "I choose the danger....Hell of a time to ask!"

I do feel that there was more to be gained from a McCoy with Spock's mind inside him though....

Shatner is unusually subdued in this film also. Some have labeled his performance as boring. Certainly the swagger is toned down. But again it fits the film. And the moment where he learns of David's dead is very strong.

I dont dislike Loyd's Kruge as much as some. But he does have a tendency to ham it up as an actor. Which considering the costume an make-up might not have been the best choice. Ricardo Montalban had an outrageous look to, but he made Khan work by more often then not playing him in a very low-key way.

Robin Curtis is very unmemorable as Saavik. Like some other actors she feel into the trap of portraying a Vulcan by speaking in a even voice and having a blank stare. Thankfully Mark Lenard recreates his Sarek in an excellent way. The best actors who have played Vulcans have always had strong, distinctive voices. And Lenard uses his well to subtle suggest hints of resentment when meeting Kirk.

Design wise this is a very important film. It finalized the look of the Klingons, who in the 60's looked like this:

TOS-day_of_the_dove_klingons.png

And in Star Trek TMP looked like this.

KlingonCommanderTMP.jpg

Quite close to the eventual design, but with the ridges focused more to the center of the forehead.

The look of the Klingons in Star Trek III would be used in how they were portrayed in TNG and later DS9 and Voyager.

Also the Bird Of Prey introduced here would become their signature ship. Interesting how it was actually a Romulan design at first and now pretty inseparably connected with the Klingons. Also the first hints of the Klingon's strict honor system can be found here.

The film obviously had a bigger effects budget then TWOK which allowed for some new designs. The spacedock is a thing of beauty and I love the design of the Grisson. Excelsior became a fan favorite, but I honestly never thought it was a great looking ship. Quite fat and ungainly compared to The Enterprise.

The special effects in this film still looks very good.

Sadly a lot of the genesis scenes do not. There are a few good matte shots, but you never once get the feeling you arent looking at a big set. Nimoy's inexperience as a director rather let him down I guess.

Vulcan does look good though.

For his first film, Nimoy does a more then decent job, though, as with the script. I can't help wondering what might have been if Meyer had not turned down the offer to direct again.

This film is often lumped in with the other "bad" oddly numbered ones. It is never as flawed in either concept or execution as TMP and V are though.

It's main problem is that one of the lead characters is completely missing till the last few minutes. And it never quite knows how to compensate.

The last scene. Spock approaching Kirk, asking him why he did what he did may be the ultimate Trek fanboy moment, but on an emotional level it does work. And I like how the script mirrors the death scene from TWOK, bringing things full circle.

TWOK was the adventurous one, and this was the melancholy one....

Time to just kick back and have some fun....

• 2 months later...

Yes, society rejects Star Trek fans so much, they've been working for decades to invent space travel and leave the rest of you to rot on this dying blue marble. It's just a very slow plan.