Tanglewood Film Night Aug 22, 2015 [UPDATE: Williams cancels appearance]

Foxfan

Not that it's a big surprise, but I decided today that I will not be going to Boston or Tanglewood this year due to cost. Good luck to those lucky bastards who are attending either one of these events.

I saw they prohibit recordings and photography during the show. They can't prevent you from taking in a cell phone, and a point and shoot is OK, but cameras with removable lenses are probably prohibited, as are camcorders. So you just need to be clever.

• 3 weeks later...

I booked my flight.

I'll be arriving in Boston on the 14th of August and I will depart on the 25th.

11 days! I assume you're doing some sightseeing as well, not only the Tanglewood thing.

I'll be dividing time between Boston, Tanglewood and Maine.

Actually getting to Tanglewood is going to be quite a hassle. It's quite remote.

I know. I researched the public transportation possibilities a couple of years ago, and eventually disbanded those plans.

Maine should be good. John Williams' father was from there. And Stephen King. That's about it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is the lawn seating? I'm debating about driving up with my boyfriend then driving back down right after the concert. However, don't want to make the drive if it is not worth it.

The lawn kind of slopes down, almost like the opposite of stadium seating :P The time I had lawn tickets, I couldn't see much. But depending how long your drive is, it's probably still worth it, IMO! Sitting outside on the lawn at night listening to Williams' music is a unique and lovely experience.

The field is where the people with the baseball caps, shorts and t-shirts sit. Knocking back brewskies while belching to the tune of the Star Wars theme!

I'll be sitting in barn, wearing proper clothes. But i'll wave at you guys!

The only seats left are the left and right bench seats and the lawn. Anyone know what the viewing angle for the benches are? Symphony Hall includes a pictured view of each seat, which I like, but I can't find the same for Tanglewood.

Google Maps now actually has Street View inside the shed. You can see the benches stradle the interior and exterior edges of the shed next to sections 9 (left) and 10 (right). I bought my seat on the left bench for this year's concert. I sat on the rear bench a couple years ago, which was a bit far, but they are actually more comfortable than the wooden chairs inside the shed which are brutal on your back.

You might or might not have a pillar blocking some or part of your view. An unfortunate drawback of the left benches will also be having to endure patrons walking in front of you hoping to beat traffic before the concert actually ends. :pat:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be curious to see if Newman and Williams perform any tributes to Horner during Film Night at Tanglewood. Heck it would be quite something if they could get Céline who's currently in Boston to sing "My Heart Will Go On" in his honor.

• 3 weeks later...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

John Williams cancels Tanglewood Film Night appearance

A notable person will be missing from the Boston Pops John Williams’ Film Night performance on August 22 — John Williams.

Williams canceled his appearances due to a back ailment that requires him to rest over the next few weeks, according to a release from Tanglewood.

[...]

Andris Nelsons, the symphony’s music director, will lead the orchestra during the August 4 performance. Pops conductor Keith Lockhart will join the symphony’s conductor David Newman for John Williams’ Film Night on August 22.

I could be completely off track here, but I don't believe they are that "serious" (as in something seriously wrong that requires surgery). I just imagine at 83 writing and conducting for TFA is taking a lot out of him and requires him to rest whenever he is not working on it. Also standing up there for an hour and a half while only taking a few short breaks here and there is probably tedious for a man half his age so I can understand Williams no longer being able to.

I hope he does something like with the LA performance; I loved how he got up there to conduct the Imperial March. It was very classy move IMO.

I'll be honest and hope that is not the case!

I've been saving and planning since November. So there better be something seriously wrong with John Williams that he HAD to cancel!

Atleast Jerry had the good excuse of dying from Cancer when he canceled in 2004

It might even be the cross-country flight more than the actual conducting. Who knows.

Well guys, I would not buy tickets for a williams concert anymore. This is going to happen more regularly. Even if he lives many years, if his back is hurt (he is old, it's normal) maybe conducting is painful for him and he cannot do it on a regular basis, or ever again. Conducting must be very stressfull for the torso of an aged man.

I think this is the end of "....conducted by John Williams". But well i prefer it to be "Music composed by John Williams" for many years to come.

I'm confident these could be temporary health issues and maybe he will be able to resume his regular conducting activities in the future, like what happened to Morricone last year.