'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

So is the trailer music by John Williams?

Is that a serious question?

Yeah. It was mostly old material.

John Williams scored both trailers and is scoring the new film.

The trailers use 100% new recordings, NOT the original recordings from the 70s and 80s.

As with the first teaser, I just love how Williams completely re-contextualizes these snippets of earlier music. Very elegantly done!

Well put!

I think everything up to 1:20 sounds definitely new, everything on sounds a little bit like manipulated ESB stuff to me.

Of course if Jay has been told it's all new, then it is all new.

Also 0:37 to 0:52 reminds me of the choral chords (?) for Gandalf expelling Saruman in TTT.

Reminds me more of PADME'S FUNERAL.

If anything, I think it's written in the same tonality.

Disney should sell these trailer cues on iTunes for $1.29 each. But they are not smart enough to ever do that.

Also 0:37 to 0:52 reminds me of the choral chords (?) for Gandalf expelling Saruman in TTT.

Reminds me more of PADME'S FUNERAL.

If anything, I think it's written in the same tonality.

2:36 on.

Sorry KM. ;)

Takes me back to the days when film trailers were good :)

Don't insult the Hanz!

But those awful LA musicians... what an un-versatile sound.

True. Now that I think about it, it does sound pretty bad...

Where's the LSO when you need them?! :folder:

London Orchestras are lamenting over the loss of both Hobbit and Star Wars.

Amazing. I am getting more and more excited about this score. I don't really care much about the movie, but if it turns out good, it's a plus :)

Gimmicky and shit.

A montage of patronisingly curated edits of desperate, ambition-less pastiche.

Holding truly to the requirements of the modern, greedy machine that is Hollywood. *tuts*

If anything sets the overall tone in this trailer, it's the music.

Some thoughts:

0:06 - Interesting EMPIRE STRIKES BACK-like "gloomy" celesta figure.

0:16 - Very A NEW HOPE-like, nostalgic incarnation of the Force theme.

0:23 - The double basses seem to add depth and a little weight to the music - perhaps to accentuate the appearance of the gigantic Star Destroyer?
0:32 - Tender F# on the piano. Gloria Cheng got her part to play!
0:36 - Beautiful funereal chords orchestrated for low brass, quite perfectly fitting the dramatic imagery and lighting. The major chord at 0:48 comes quite unexpected and creates a sense of hope.

0:52 - The return to minor mode, however, resumes the dramatic, funereal mood.

1:01 - The Force theme is continued, again creating a sense of hope and nostalgia.

1:05 - A series of highly dramatic trumpet chords, accentuated by low brass, timpani and percussion and accompanied by high sustained strings and ad lib. harp glissandi set a tense, tragic atmosphere against the battle imagery.

1:18 - Finally releasing all previously built tension, the YODA AND THE FORCE fanfare majestically concludes the trailer cue, highlighting the nostalgia implied in Ford's line, pausing before it and reaching its climax afterwards to emphasize it so as to increase its dramatic impact.

It's the alternation between the hopeful and the dramatic that makes Williams's trailer cue so incredibly moving.

The percussion starting at 1:13 doesn't sound very John Williamsy.

I agree - one of the first things I thought whilst hearing the trailer cue. I can't really imagine Williams writing that.

Boy, the music for this has turned you into quite the conspiracy theorist.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2696027/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr393

Felix Erskine: credited for "additional composer: teaser trailer"

I believe this is mixing some of the LSO OST (but pitch shifted). There is clearly new material but some of the original is there too. Still loving it and salivating for more!

In all honesty, the percussion sounds like one of those big boom synth patches most percussion libraries have, whether Williams wrote it or not.

Boy, the music for this has turned you into quite the conspiracy theorist.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2696027/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr393

Felix Erskine: credited for "additional composer: teaser trailer"

It's the end of the end!

If anything sets the overall tone in this trailer, it's the music.

Some thoughts:

0:06 - Interesting EMPIRE STRIKES BACK-like "gloomy" celesta figure.

0:16 - Very A NEW HOPE-like, nostalgic incarnation of the Force theme.

0:23 - The double basses seem to add depth and a little weight to the music - perhaps to accentuate the appearance of the gigantic Star Destroyer?

0:32 - Tender F# on the piano. Gloria Cheng got her part to play!

0:36 - Beautiful funereal chords orchestrated for low brass, quite perfectly fitting the dramatic imagery and lighting. The major chord at 0:48 came quite unexpected and creates a sense of hope.

0:52 - The return to minor mode, however, resumes the dramatic, funereal mood.

1:01 - The Force theme is continued, again creating a sense of hope and nostalgia.

1:05 - A series of highly dramatic trumpet chords, accentuated by low brass, timpani and percussion and accompanied by high sustained strings and ad lib. harp glissandi set a tense, tragic atmosphere against the battle imagery.

1:18 - Finally releasing all previously built tension, the YODA AND THE FORCE fanfare majestically concludes the trailer cue, highlighting the nostalgia implied in Ford's line, pausing before it and reaching its climax afterwards to emphasize it so as to increase its dramatic impact.

It's the alternation between the hopeful and the dramatic that makes Williams's trailer cue so incredibly moving.

Thanks for the rundown! :16 is very reminiscent of "Tales of a Jedi Knight." I think something like that could have worked well for the new Lucasfilm opening.

The ESB ending used in the teasers and trailers have become a tradition, it seems.