'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' SCORE speculation

Ricard

I have nightmares that everyone in Australia has to go back to high school and re-sit their HSC exams, regardless if they have a degree or are working in a career. And they have to wear their old school uniform too.

Some Giacchino, here and there, perhaps.

If anything, I think Abrams has a lot of respect for Williams. Who wouldn't have?

Yeah, and I think he respects the process, and obviously Kennedy has spent her whole career around Williams and I'd imagine she's probably trying to approximate the Spielberg experience for him. As others have said, I think the more likely issue is that we'll end up with too much of the old stuff for our tastes, whether it's a corporate mandate or a questionable creative decision on Williams' part. "Luke's Theme" and "Force Theme" reprisals at big moments when something new would have been more appropriate, stuff like that.

Honestly, I think Rian Johnson is a bigger question mark on this point than Abrams, if Williams does end up scoring VIII.

If anything, I think Abrams has a lot of respect for Williams. Who wouldn't have?

Yeah, and I think he respects the process, and obviously Kennedy has spent her whole career around Williams and I'd imagine she's probably trying to approximate the Spielberg experience for him. As others have said, I think the more likely issue is that we'll end up with too much of the old stuff for our tastes, whether it's a corporate mandate or a questionable creative decision on Williams' part. "Luke's Theme" and "Force Theme" reprisals at big moments when something new would have been more appropriate, stuff like that.

Honestly, I think Rian Johnson is a bigger question mark on this point than Abrams, if Williams does end up scoring VIII.

Why's that? I'm not really familiar with Rian Johnson except he doesn't like the PT or the SE and appears to be a big supporter of practical effects.

As others have said, I think the more likely issue is that we'll end up with too much of the old stuff for our tastes, whether it's a corporate mandate or a questionable creative decision on Williams' part. "Luke's Theme" and "Force Theme" reprisals at big moments when something new would have been more appropriate, stuff like that.

We fear this because of Crystal Skull?

My biggest fear is still Williams having to accomodate the filmmakers.

I sort of agree - depends on what you mean by filmmakers. I think JJ and Kennedy are likely to enjoy what Williams comes up with, and that that will be a score we like too.

What I am afraid of is Disney execs coming in and hampering the creative process - whether that would mean having him redo some cues to be more Rapist OR go back to using old themes when JW had come up with something original, I dunno.

I wish this score becomes a Phantom Menace situation with loads of new stuff.

With all these badass JW snippets, like when the gates open and Darth Maul appears. You know, that kind of stuff.

I'd say the biggest downside to being a youngster here is having experienced only a meager bit of all the innovation Williams has underwent up until now. The only recent score releases of his I've witnessed are Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln and The Book Thief.

For me The Lost World was the first Williams score where I bought the OST as soon as it came out and listened to it before I saw the film

Why's that? I'm not really familiar with Rian Johnson except he doesn't like the PT or the SE and appears to be a big supporter of practical effects.

Well, me neither, which is why I said he's a question mark. :P It's just that we know more about Abrams when it comes to big movies and big scores, while Johnson has been doing smaller stuff this far. He'll most likely want Williams, but I'm just interested to know what his approach to the film and score will be.

As others have said, I think the more likely issue is that we'll end up with too much of the old stuff for our tastes, whether it's a corporate mandate or a questionable creative decision on Williams' part. "Luke's Theme" and "Force Theme" reprisals at big moments when something new would have been more appropriate, stuff like that.

We fear this because of Crystal Skull?

Well, yes, and the first Hobbit film. Retreads are just the obvious thing to do with a movie whose primary reason for existing is nostalgia.

For me The Lost World was the first Williams score where I bought the OST as soon as it came out and listened to it before I saw the film

A great 'first new score', at that!

Well, me neither, which is why I said he's a question mark. :P It's just that we know more about Abrams when it comes to big movies and big scores, while Johnson has been doing smaller stuff this far. He'll most likely want Williams, but I'm just interested to know what his approach to the film and score will be.

No doubt he would want Williams on board, but would Williams be interested? I certainly hope TFA doesn't burn him out and he'll score the remaining episodes. I thought Kennedy said Williams was on board for the entire trilogy in 2013, but he hasn't been officially confirmed.

Mine was Revenge of the Sith.

For me, The Lost World was the first Williams score where I ditched the OST packaging and put the CD in a jewel case.

Oh, right. Those came out earlier in the same year as TLW. But since they were re-issues of older films, TLW is still the first new Williams scored film I got the OST immediately.

I got into the SW and Indy CDs in the early/mid 90s, along with Hook and JP... But I don't think I cared about any new JW films from 94-96. TLW was huge though. I remember seeing it twice opening day.

Yea, it was awesome. I was 16 years old, a junior in high school, and actually skipped school that afternoon to go see it with one group of friends. Then saw it again that night after work with a different group of friends. Didn't really realize until later how disappointing of a movie it was. Then randomly in the years since, I've come around to liking it alot again. I guess it just wasn't what was expected when it came out.

I couldn't disagree more. I understand criticism of and disappointment with TLW, but in the end it's just a sequel you can forget about and does no harm to the legacy of JP. KOTCS ruined everything about Indiana Jones. I've tried. It's fucking impossible to forget.

I understand criticism of and disappointment with TLW, but in the end it's just a sequel you can forget about and does no harm to the legacy of JP.

There is no legacy of JP to begin with. It's just a shrewd, commercial movie with admittedly great imagery. LOST WORLD has it's share of childish junk but also singular scenes that are vastly better than anything in JP. Both movies are really on par if you see them today.

Hmm, I'm not sure. JKMS is posting a lot of photographs of sketches and full scores on Twitter and Facebook nowadays. I remember seeing part of his sketches for the 'PBS Great Performances' theme', the 'Trailer' cue for Hook and 'Aunt Marge's Waltz' for 'Prisoner of Azkaban' and a page of 'Tie Shoes' for 'Crystal Skull'.

Yeah, but that's all really, although I like Dean Cundey's pseudo-Robert Richardson smoky look.

No. The T-Rex attack and stuff like i. e. the raptors in the grass and some more atmospheric scenes are really good - much more ballsy than the originals' all-too-Disneyfied take on this material.

According to the following article, K. Kennedy says the recording of the score begins in June and will run throughout the summer.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-32382844

So Williams really is spending a lot of time on this score

But not necessarily. He may not be constantly writing during that period, but material may be incoming on and off from June to maybe September, with the actual amount of composing time amounting to more or less the average.

Yeah, but that's all really, although I like Dean Cundey's pseudo-Robert Richardson smoky look.

No. The T-Rex attack and stuff like i. e. the raptors in the grass and some more atmospheric scenes are really good - much more ballsy than the originals' all-too-Disneyfied take on this material.

There's nothing Disneyfied about the opening raptor pen attack in JP. Used to terrify me as a kid and still sends shivers down my spine. It doesn't resort to TLW's relative gratuitousness, but it works wonderfully.

Now that I think about it, the new trailer music doesn't really match up with the (removed upon request) conversation Stefan posted a few days earlier very much at all. This furthers my suspicion that it was recorded for a future trailer.