The Force Awakens begins recording at Sony in LA today

thx99

Apparently the TFA soundtrack is complete. According to http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-in-the-uk-star-wars-night-with-the-cbso, at a CBSO concert on October 16 announcer Tim Burden said the TFA soundtrack had been completed three days earlier (bolding is mine):

Throughout the evening, Marc Silk had come on stage to introduce various tracks, and again he appeared to give us some special news. The Maestro himself John Williams had sent a message from Los Angeles, wishing the CBSO the best of luck for the evening. With The Force Awakens so tantalizingly close (during the pre-concert chat, Tim Burden informed us that The Force Awakens soundtrack had been completed just three days earlier) and the promise of new music just weeks away, what could possibly be a better seal of approval than that?

I did some research, and Burden seems to be a reliable source.

If this news is true, then the soundtrack would have been completed before recording sessions finished.

I think you're assuming the word "soundtrack" means the actual CD program, when in this case it just means "the music recorded for the film".

The soundtrack CD program can now be put together from all the available recordings, whatever JW wants on there.

And there's no chance in hell it will contain the complete score recorded for the film.

I think you're assuming the word "soundtrack" means the actual CD program, when in this case it just means "the music recorded for the film".

The soundtrack CD program can now be put together from all the available recordings, whatever JW wants on there.

And there's no chance in hell it will contain the complete score recorded for the film.

But wasn't there a recording session less than a week ago? They couldn't have been finished recording the music by October 16.

I don't see how there's anything to really be concerned about. The music's been recorded. A CD will come out that we'll buy and listen to. What's to learn?

Really? I think the Tintin OST sounds great! If we hadn't known it was a combo of old cues and revisions, it would be hard to figure out what's what I think.

Oh! Well that has nothing to do with the pickup process; The film was simply re-edited again after the last round of pickup sessions.

I dislike JJ pretty hard - harder than most people - but he said in an interview he was pretty hands off with the music, which is good to hear. I love the prequel scores but the temptracking obviousness in them grates on me. I'm hoping Abrams didn't ask Johnny to crib anything too obviously. (Or insert awful modern techno music like he did in the last Star Trek)

Surely there will be a Beastie Boys song somewhere in there?

Ugh. Crap like that really sticks in my craw and I cannot tell you why. Watching pop culture reference its self is like watching two college aged dudes make a crappy in-joke that no one else will understand.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea - I'd rather they commission and record Williams-penned inserts / revisions, instead of just editing the already-recorded music to fit picture changes, like what happened with the prequels and all of JJ's other films.

This matches up with a recent Entertainment Weekly report (from the issue that was available on newsstands starting Friday, unfortunately this particular story is not online but several sites have reported the following paragraph):

The final edit of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is complete and has a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. Picture was locked on November 3rd 2015 at midnight, but JJ Abrams and crew will be spending the next few weeks finalizing the film’s visual effects, sound effects and a final scoring session with composer John Williams.

Today's session must have been that "final scoring session" mentioned in EW.