A while ago, when I was reading the new Nemesis news on ST.com, I read where John Logan (the writer for Nem.) was going to pen a script for Spielberg to shoot about the life of Abraham Lincoln. I haven't heard anymore developments on this, but I wondered if anyone else had heard this too?

From Steven Awalt's site

The following project is currently in development and does not imply that the film will ever be put into production or release.

Steven Spielberg and DreamWorks have purchased the rights to Putlizer Prize winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin's as yet unpublished biography on Abraham Lincoln. The book is set to be released in 2003.

Kearns Goodwin's book examines Lincoln's term as president of the United States, from 1861 to 1865. The book, promises Kearns Goodwin, is a new view of the famous man and President, as recounted through friends and colleagues memories of him. "I want to create a view of Lincoln through the people who knew him best. Relationships are always what interest me." Various writers in the entertainment press have stated that the book is a brutally frank portrait of the one of the nation's most famous presidents.  

The author has previously written works based on historical fact, including: "No Ordinary Time: Franklin And Eleanor Roosevelt, The Home Front in World War II," "Lyndon Johnson And The American Dream," "The Fitzgeralds And The Kennedys -- An American Saga" and "Private Lives of Our Public Figures."

A film version of the book, if directed by Spielberg would continue his impressive track record of historical fact based dramas which include SCHINDLER'S LIST, AMISTAD and SAVING PRIVATE RYAN.

Beyond Spielberg's purchase of the book, not much information as to his plans for it have popped up in the press. If and when news develops, spielbergfilms.com will keep you posted.

There you go!

~Harry

I also found this nice bit of info from his wonderful site:

The following project is currently in development and does not imply that the film will ever be put into production or release.

Steven Spielberg is being commissioned by the Mount Vernon George Washington Memorial to create a short 15 min. film focusing on Washington's war efforts. The film will be played at the visitor's center of Mount Vernon, and according to the Mount Vernon Memorial director James Rees, it will hopefully be "an action-oriented film, something downright exciting, to reflect the exciting personality of Washington."

The film will be a centerpiece of the new $85 million dollar museum celebrating the United States' first President and war hero.

The film is scheduled to premiere at Mount Vernon in 2006.

I wonder if there will be music to the piece. I bet I know who will score it!

~Harry

I could care less about this project, than anything else he could do. I would rather Spielberg do a A.I. 2 rather than a Lincoln biopic. Besides we know how it ends.

SPOILER ALERT

Lincoln gets shot in the head, by John Wilkes Booth, who then breaks his leg and then gets treatment from a Doctor Mudd, who gets convicted and causes the phrase, your name is Mudd. Its an American thing, if you don't understand it. Its not nice to have that said to you. Anyways Lincoln dies, and then 45 years later the Titanic sinks on the anniversary. HMMMMM, coincedence, maybe. I smell a conspiracy.

Joe, being sarcastic, and trying to be cynical.

How many of you guys liked The Patriot?

I'd like to say from another Civil War-era movie, "Quite frankly, you all, I don't give a darn." I can't WAIT to see a Spielberg movie about Lincoln. I really doubt that the score would be COMPLETELY like anything we've heard before. It should be quite good.

Me!!!! Possible spoilers follow.

I like both the movie and the score. I generally like war movies, as most are high in action. This movie featured two love stories that were worked well in the movie, I thought. I admired Ben Martin's want for a revenge for his son's death by Tavington. A loss of a child is terrible. In the end, everyone is happy again, even though so much and so many people are lost. The end shows that in the presence of so much loss, that it is time to love what you have and who you have, and live on with those things.

About the music. I like war music, just like I like war movies. I like the war drums and the war flutes from the Revolutionary era. The gentle love themes are wonderful, and the Olympic-esque theme that serves as the main title is also great.

I haven't listened to the score nor watched the movie lately, but I still can appreciate the wonder from both. I feel bad for those who don't enjoy the movie and/or the score as much as I do.

~Harry

I'd rather see Spielberg doing Geisha   :)

Well, he is producing and cowriting it!

:mrgreen: fighting for dough from Far and Away

I could care less about this project, than anything else he could do.  I would rather Spielberg do a A.I. 2 rather than a Lincoln biopic.   Besides we know how it ends.  

Minority Report almost is AI 2 :)

Joe, being sarcastic, and trying to be cynical.

Ha, poor attempt :) You overshadowed it with sillyness :)

haven't you guys seen the stuff on the similarities between the Lincoln and Kennedy assassinations?

:roll: Why would I want to? Is someone trying to prove it was all part of the same conspiracy? :roll:

It was ok. With a brilliant villian. But it's overly cliched and lacking an interesting story.

I'll never understand why people pick things apart the way they do. I, for one, used to, but don't anymore. Therefore I enjoy stuff more because I de-trained myself from nitpicking stuff apart. "Overly cliched and lack of interesting story". Please... Sure, it was overly cliched, but hey...it was still good! The story wasn't as complex or surprising like Minority Report, but it was still satisfying. Oh wait...Minority Report's a bad example because it's got so many plotholes, even though it got 4 stars and I loved it fine by watching it within its own rules, not another movie's.

Dan--who still loves good movies, even if they're not perfect.

Spielberg is only executive producing Geisha.  He's not scripting it, that's Akiva Goldsmith (Oscar winning writer, Batman & Robin--see an oxymoron?).

First of all, it's Goldsman, not Goldsmith. That's a huge difference, as Goldsman is a jewish name, while Goldsmith is really not.

Spielberg said, on Oprah, that he was going to produce Geisha, and he decided not to direct it because he worked on developing the script, and wanted to give someone else a chance to take part in the movie.

But Jerry Goldsmith is jewish  :)

Really? I had no idea! :)

I am jewish, and Stefancos, what you say is generaly true, but Goldsmith is, at least from my expirience not a strictly jewish name.

Morlock- who's 100% jewish

:) Leonard Bernstein's chichester psalms

Sorry about the wrong name on the writer, but does his race even really matter?

And Spielberg developing the script and writing the script are two entirely seperate things. He contributes alot of ideas and "writing" to the majority of projects he works on, but that doesn't make him the film's writer.

Sorry about the wrong name on the writer, but does his race even really matter?

Does his music really matter either? :roll: But it's nice to know.

Morn - Who is not even sure that jew is a race

PS here is a list of jewish film composers I found on FSM :mrgreen:

Goldsmith

Herrmann

Rosza

North

Bernstein

N. Riddle

Menken

Previn

D. Shire

J. Mandel

Kamen

M. Gore

M. Gould

Hamlisch

V. Young

Bacharach

Tiomkin

Friedhofer

G. Fried

Fielding

Rosenthal

Rosenman

Horner

Shore

Goldenthal

Newman (Thomas and David are only half)

Steiner

Korngold

Rabin

Elfman

Glass

Glasser

Salter

Dunno if it should be trusted though 8O

This can't be true.... almost every great film composer is jewish?

Careful with your language...it may be mistaken for a revelation of bigotry. Try thinking of a gentler way of expressing your incredulity..

This post has really changed,

from what I can gather

Abraham Lincoln is a jewish film composer that will be doing the music for Steven Spielberg's biopic on John Williams

biggrinyoyoA.gif

This can't be true.... almost every great film composer is jewish?

Careful with your language...it may be mistaken for a revelation of bigotry. Try thinking of a gentler way of expressing your incredulity..

I was assuming people would understand the context, which is, as I said, that I am jewish, and proud of it.

I just find it surprising that almost every great film composer is a member of a minority which I happen to belong to.

Mmmmm, seems like some #@%! crybaby was not happy with the Nixon/Clinton similarities... [expletives] there´s worst stuff being said Geez!

I hope the crybaby sends me a private at least :mad:

• 2 years later...

****SPOILERS****

John Wilkes Booth shoots Lincoln in the head, and he dies awhile later after clinging to life.