38 replies to this topic

#1 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:23 PM

Why You Should Allow Pop Ups On This Site

That will allow you to see the PM window and it will let you use the chatroom.

How To Post Photos

Use the IMAGE tags.
Clicking the "Img" button, then typing in the URL and then clicking the "Img" button again will do this for you. The code looks like this:
Posted Image

How To Post Text as Links

The code for that looks like this:
JWFan
In this case "JWFan" will be blue and underlined. Clicking it will take you to "www.jwfan.net".

How To Quote People

Click the "Quote" button in the person's post you wish to quote.

To make things easier I recommend using the Firefox web browser and the BBCode extension.

http://www.mozilla.o...oducts/firefox/
https://addons.mozil...info.php?id=128

Neil

#2 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:30 PM

Yay! JWFan.net for dummies!

Allow me to add this:

If you have quoted someone and broken up their post and want all quote boxes to have the heading "#user# wrote:" above it, open your quote with this:

Replace username with the screenname of the member in question. Make sure you add the " at the beginning and end.

End the quote with the usual

- Marc

Marc = best MB dutchie ever!

#3 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19852 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:45 PM

And a little bonus tip: Don't use UBB tags for formatting when you have disabled UBB for your post.

Marian - ;)

#4 robthehand

robthehand

Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5423 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 05:49 PM

What does the Firefox BBCode extension do?

#5 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:13 PM

What does the Firefox BBCode extension do?

It does all the code for you. Highlight the word or words you want to be a link and tell it to paste URL here. It's very easy.

Neil - giving away his tricks

#6 robthehand

robthehand

Superfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5423 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 11:04 AM

Thanks Neil.

#7 king mark

king mark

Supreme Priestmaster of JWfan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25531 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:17 PM

I think whoever starts a topic shouild be able to put a 30 second clip of music of his choice to accompany the thread.Is that possible?

K.M.

#8 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:37 PM

Nope.

"11 - Avoid posting VIDEO or MUSIC files and/or promoting pages containing VIDEO or MUSIC files such as MPEG, Windows Media, RealMedia or MP3 unless they are from your own creations or compositions. You may provide links to pages (not direct links to files) that LEGALLY use video or sound clips for promotional purposes (review sites, online stores, mp3.com artists...)"

Neil

#9 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4801 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

How come the Quick Reply "easy bar" (meaning the bold, italic, and underline functions) don't work? When I highlight a word and click on one of the buttons it doesn't do anything, but if you use the "Post Reply" option they will?

Tim

#10 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:27 PM

Works in FireFox. :)

#11 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:03 PM

Works for me too with Firefox.

Neil

#12 ridan

ridan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:05 AM

Ditto

#13 nightscape94

nightscape94

The Goggles Do Nothing!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4801 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 03:31 AM

I don't have Firefox...

But why shouldn't it work outside of Firefox? Was the website constructed with Firefox in mind?

Tim.

#14 ridan

ridan

Regular Poster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 788 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:45 PM

I don't think so, but Firefox is immensely superior to any other browsers.

#15 Marian Schedenig

Marian Schedenig

Miss the Point

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19852 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 02:26 PM

I prefer Konqueror.

Marian - who only starts Firefox when Konqueror has troubles with Flash stuff, or when an evil website behaves badly because it has non-standard scripts tailormade for IE and Firefox only.

#16 John McClane

John McClane

The Die Hardest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 12:01 AM

Where's My Signature?

Using "Quick Reply" will not include your signature.

I use FireFox, and using "Quick Reply", and checking the "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)" box, I have my signature displayed in my quick replies too. :mrgreen:

Don't know if it works with Internet Explorer, thought.
Matt Farrell: What's the plan?
John McClane: Find Lucy and kill everyone else.

- Live Free or Die Hard or F*** Off -

#17 Lurker

Lurker

Lurker

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 11 November 2005 - 06:15 AM

Then please explain why this post doesn't have a signature.

Neil - who knows this is a glitch with the board software and not dependant on the broswer being used

#18 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 01:49 AM

Why would I want to use firefox on osx though?
A 30 second clip is not a whole file.... can't you bend the rules a little for them.
And why don't the read thread flags work anymore? How am I to know what thread I read, hey?

#19 John McClane

John McClane

The Die Hardest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:02 AM

Why would I want to use firefox on osx though?

Because FireFox is da browser, da way to go.

A 30 second clip is not a whole file.... can't you bend the rules a little for them.

The copyright laws are applied to soundclips too. You can't put any audio or video, being 2 seconds or 3 days long.

And why don't the read thread flags work anymore? How am I to know what thread I read, hey?

It's not our fault if you came here once in a month.
Till few days ago there was a sticky announcement by Andreas in which he said the site is on a new place (or whatever else).
Notice the address of this site. Isn't .net anymore, right? That's appear to be the thing that caused the orange flags problem.
Matt Farrell: What's the plan?
John McClane: Find Lucy and kill everyone else.

- Live Free or Die Hard or F*** Off -

#20 Morn

Morn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8790 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:37 AM

I thought you were allowed to use clips and previews for copyrighted stuff. How do all these review sites get away with it.

#21 John McClane

John McClane

The Die Hardest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 03:01 AM

They have permissions, or they just outlaws.

*western music starts to play after the word "outlaws" has been spoken*

#22 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 11:02 AM

Poll guide:

When you select "New Topic", the poll stuff is right below the "Add Attachment" feature. You'll see the following:

Poll question
Poll option
Run poll for

Enter a question pertaining to the poll you want, like "Do you think...." or "What is your favorite...." and so on. Next to the option line, put the choices one at a time, such as "yes", "no", etc, or specific tracks, or whatever your poll is about. Every time you input an option you have to then hit the "Add Option" icon. Once that is done you will see a new option line. Put in the next one and then hit "Add Option" again. Continue to do this until all of the options are completed.

Tim

#23 Damo

Damo

Frequent Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2231 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:09 AM

How To Enter The Chat Room

On the left you'll see a link called Chat Room
Click on the link and your web browser will open another page from jwfan.net
When the page is finished loading, you'll see a rectange box.
The rectange box will shows you the list of how many users and guest are in the Chat Room.
On the right bottom side of the rectanage box, you'll see a link called "[ let's go ! ]"

Before you click on the the link called "[ let's go ! ]" You must Allow Pop Ups On This Site if you have pop-up blocker, which you must turn it off. Otherwise you will not be able to get in the Chat Room.

If you still having problems opening the Chat Room and the pop-up blockers is turned off from your web browser, check to see if your Norton AntiVirus or any type of AntiVirus you have installed on your computer which may have pop-up blockers as well as the pop-up blockers from your web browser. Turns these pop-up blockers from your AntiVirus off as well.

You should now be able to Enter The Chat Room without any problems.

I Just found out that I have pop-up blockers in Norton AntiVirus 2005 that im using. So this is why I posting this, which might help other people for those who are having problems entering the Chat Room.

#24 John McClane

John McClane

The Die Hardest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4759 posts

Posted 18 December 2005 - 12:07 PM

The BBCode extension for FireFox Neil provided the link is very easy to use and very useful.
It's great for lazy people like me too. :)

#25 Hitch

Hitch

See it from the beginning.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12135 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:56 PM

I finally got around to finding this thread. 05/16/06. So this is what I've been doing wrong all these years.

#26 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

A bit of FAQ dealing with the mysterious "Veteran" status:

On this board the ranking currently is as follows:

1 - 100 posts: Occasional Poster
100 - 1000 posts: Regular Poster
1000 - 5000 posts: Frequent Poster
5000 - 10000 posts: Veteran
10000 - 15000 posts: Master
15000+ posts: Grand Master

Then there is a number of Special Ranks.

There is the "Moderator" rank, which is currently only held by myself (for obvious reasons).
There is the "Site Admin" rank, held by Ricard and Andreas, our Great Overlords, if you will (Ricard manages JWFan.net and Andreas hosts the entire JW Music Network).
Neil (Indysolo) briefly held the "Moderator Emeritus" title after passing the torch to yours truly, but is now simply a Master.
The special "Veteran" rank was assigned at the start of this version of the message board (back in May of 2002) to people who had been visiting since at least two inceptions of the MB before (someone correct me or confirm here - it is from before my time). This is why some people with less than 5000 posts are also labeled as "Veteran" (such as Hitch above me here).

I hope this explains it, and I'll never have to hear anyone ask about this on the board again. ;)

I also want to point out that a while back, we had the "shorten URLs in posts" option turned on for these boards. This means that if you post an URL without the "URL" tags (but with the http:// intact), it'll automatically get shortened if it's longer than an x number of characters. This helps prevent horizontal scrollbars (which suck).
So if you're going to copy/paste a link, don't bother with the "URL" tags. If there is an http:// opening intact, the board will automatically make a link out of it anyway, and the tags prevent the auto-shortening (which may cause horizontal scrollbars, which suck).
Although making a proper textual link out of it (see original post) is still my preferred method for linking.

- Marc

#27 ADigitalMan

ADigitalMan

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 97 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:02 PM

I'm feeling the pain expressed in this thread, to be sure. Though I admit I haven't given Neil his nickel. (I do give him his credit, though.)
I am fluent in over six million forms of procrastination.

This signature now complies with JWFan.net's policy of maximum 250 pixels high.

#28 Sandor

Sandor

Member since 1999..!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3904 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:10 PM

The special "Veteran" rank was assigned at the start of this version of the message board (back in May of 2002) to people who had been visiting since at least two inceptions of the MB before (someone correct me or confirm here - it is from before my time). This is why some people with less than 5000 posts are also labeled as "Veteran" (such as Hitch above me here).

And me... Sadly; I'm overlooked in this regard. I'm one of the longest running posters on this board. I have been actively part of its history. I know my post count isn't that high, but still... I'm member # 10.
Posted Image

#29 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

Your member number on the current forum is irrelevant to that.
Unfotunately though, the special veteran ranking held by several members on the previous board was lost in the transfer to the new board.

#30 Miles Prower

Miles Prower

Deserved the Best Picture win

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1222 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:47 AM

There is the "Moderator" rank, which is currently only held by myself (for obvious reasons).
There is the "Site Admin" rank, held by Ricard and Andreas, our Great Overlords, if you will (Ricard manages JWFan.net and Andreas hosts the entire JW Music Network).
Neil (Indysolo) briefly held the "Moderator Emeritus" title after passing the torch to yours truly, but is now simply a Master.

I hope this explains it, and I'll never have to hear anyone ask about this on the board again.

I also want to point out that a while back, we had the "shorten URLs in posts" option turned on for these boards. This means that if you post an URL without the "URL" tags (but with the http:// intact), it'll automatically get shortened if it's longer than an x number of characters. This helps prevent horizontal scrollbars (which suck).
So if you're going to copy/paste a link, don't bother with the "URL" tags. If there is an http:// opening intact, the board will automatically make a link out of it anyway, and the tags prevent the auto-shortening (which may cause horizontal scrollbars, which suck).
Although making a proper textual link out of it (see original post) is still my preferred method for linking.

Would this have anything to do with personal ranks (ex., yours is "yo daddy", Neil's "Carbon Based Unit", etc.) In other words... how do I change mine from Occasional Poster?
Posted Image

#31 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 26 February 2007 - 02:58 AM

Go to My Controls > Edit Profile Information.

You can input your personal rank in the "Custom member title" box.

#32 indy4

indy4

Grand Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17392 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:32 AM

I noticed this:

Known bugs:

- When you are clicking on "John Williams Fan Network" Link you recieve
a error message!

So how can you link something like that?
Recently Purchased CDs:
1. Midway (Original Recording) - John Williams 2. Tchaikovsky: Symphonies 4-6 - Herbert Von Karajan and the Berliner Philharmonic 3. Williams: Violin and Flute Concerto - Leonard Slatkin and the London Symphony Orchestra 4. On the Town/Anchors Aweigh - Various

#33 ASW

ASW

Occasional Poster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:32 PM

Sorry, I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this but is there a way to change your username without setting up a new account?... I looked up the help topics and found something about an feature that lets you change your display name, which I couldn't find on my control panel. But is that the same as changing your username? Thanks.
"Joey, do you like movies about gladiators?"

"During the third reconciliation of the McKetrick supplicants, they chose a new form for him...that of a giant sloar!....many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the sloar that day, I can tell you!"

#34 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:32 PM

The display name function has been disabled for this board.

If you wish to change your name, however, simply send me a PM and I will change it for you. This will also change your login name.

#35 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32146 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:02 PM

I hope this explains it, and I'll never have to hear anyone ask about this on the board again.

Would this have anything to do with personal ranks (ex., yours is "yo daddy", Neil's "Carbon Based Unit", etc.) In other words... how do I change mine from Occasional Poster?

Go to My Controls > Edit Profile Information.

You can input your personal rank in the "Custom member title" box.

I don't see that option.

#36 John Crichton

John Crichton

The Doctor in America

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16472 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

I think you still have to hit 1000 posts before you have that option.
The First Question. The Oldest Question in the Universe, hidden in plain sight...

#37 Mr. Breathmask

Mr. Breathmask

Do the Han Dance!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17784 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Correct.

#38 fommes

fommes

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5850 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 11:59 AM

Can we not archive personal messages anymore to a html-file or so? (Or am I just too dumb to find the function?)

#39 Jay

Jay

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32146 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 02:11 PM

As far as I can tell, you can no longer archive PMs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users