Morn

Best 00 score  

40 members have voted

1. 1.

• The Patriot
    • AI
    • Harry Potter
    • Attack of the Clones

I was listening to The Patriot again today, and I have to stand by my opinion that it's a great score. I don't see how many people don't like it.

~Harry

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.) The Patriot & AOTC (tie)  

A.I. is gorgeous, innovative, and completely unlike anything else I have heard.

How dare you put AOTC down with The Patriot :) And, if you think AI is that innovative, you don't know much modern classical music :) Rather than being innovative, it's in the style of modern classical music.

AOTC is more innovative.

Here is my list for the movies.

1. AI (Don't baaaaaaaa! me Joe :roll: )

2. Tie Harry Potter/Attack of the Clones (neither was perfect I think)

3. The Patriot

3.) The Patriot & AOTC (tie)  

A.I. is gorgeous, innovative, and completely unlike anything else I have heard.

How dare you put AOTC down with The Patriot :mrgreen: And, if you think AI is that innovative, you don't know much modern classical music :music: Rather than being innovative, it's in the style of modern classical music.

AOTC is more innovative.

Here is my list for the movies.

1. AI (Don't baaaaaaaa! me Joe :roll: )

2. Tie Harry Potter/Attack of the Clones (neither was perfect I think)

3. The Patriot

Yes I dare to put AOTC with The Patriot, I like them equally. :tongue2: And you're right, I know nothing about classical music. By innovative I meant that to me, A.I. sounds very unique compared with many other of Williams' scores. You say AOTC is more innovative, that's fine. To me it sounds more like his other scores than A.I.

Ray Barnsbury

I mean it, listen to The Arena at 3:50-4:05 never heard anything quite like that before. Much of the action music is very original.

Morn, despite our mutual disdain for eachother, I agree with you.

Movie-wise:

1. A.I.

2. Harry Potter/Attack Of The Clones

3. The Patriot

Dan - having to leave soon

:mrgreen: "Bonding" from Stepmom

Goodbye, dear friend. I will see you at your end!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Dan - who said that with a haughy British accent

:mrgreen: "The Shuttle" from SpaceCamp

1 - AI

2 - The Patriot

3 - Harry Potter

4 - AOTC

IMHO, AI is the best score so far. It works brilliantly in the film and is the ultimate example of Williams versatility. The Patriot comes close behind. I don't understand why people bash it so much. I love the themes, the action cues and the sentimental ones. It's one of my favourites Williams scores and one that I listen the most. As for Harry Potter I think it is vintage Williams, beautiful themes, great orchestrations and a sense of magic as the film requested but still not has good as The Patriot (I know this is odd for some of you, but don't forget that this is highly subjective and personal). AOTC, well... it's groing on me but I think it will always be the weakest Star Wars score for me, sorry. :lookaround: It failed to astonish me like the others did and that had to do with the absence of new themes.

I was listening to The Patriot again today, and I have to stand by my opinion that it's a great score.  I don't see how many people don't like it.

Harry, I agree! My ranking would be:

1. Harry Potter

2. AOTC

3. The Patriot

4. A.I.

Mari

Yes - I know it is a minority opinion. :lookaround: I've listened to A.I. several times and it doesn't move me the way The Patriot does. I really enjoy a few of the tracks, but not the whole CD.

Mari

1. The Patriot

2. A.I. Artificial Intelligence

3. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

4. Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones

It may seem as though I'm simply listing the scores chronologically, but that wasn't the intention. Until recently, I'd've switched #2 and #3, but Harry Potter is gradually sounding less and less impressive to me. Like Episode II - Attack of the Clones, it features a slew of themes, most of which, unfortunately, are mediocre. It's as though Williams is employing the leitmotif out of obligation instead out of inspiration. Grade on orchestrational complexity all you want; it's not really a priority in film scoring.

I don't really find A.I. that "innovative." Williams explores a bit of fairly new territory (for him) with the minimalism, the post-modern dabbling, and the vocalise. Much of the score is simply Always rehashed. What makes this score stand out for me are the stunningly lyrical themes. When I first heard "Where Dreams Are Born," I was floored. Some call it "schmaltzy"; I call it classic. Then there's the theme for the Blue Fairy, David's theme, and the "Abandoned in the Woods" theme...

Still, all that beauty doesn't pack the emotional punch of The Patriot, which, taken as a whole, beggars Williams's comparable work for Born of the Fourth of July. ("Susan Speaks." Need I say more? :D) The only nagging aspect is the unarguable derivation of the main theme from "Dry Your Tears, Afrika" or from "American Journey."

Hector -- "Hornerishly fake"??? IF it weren't directed towards me, I would crack up and congratulate you on a funny. However....... :evil:

Dan - laughing, deep, deep, deep down inside

:) "Night And Day And Night" from Pay It Forward (T. Newman)

Grade on orchestrational complexity all you want; it's not really a priority in film scoring.

No, but the detail can add to enjoyment.

And what do you mean Harry Potter lacks good themes? Yet I think Monica's Theme is a pretty poor theme.

"Monica's Theme" is a poor thing??? Are you out of your mind? It's only Johnny's 2nd most beautiful theme ever!

Dan - thinking Morn in a poor scab

:mrgreen: "The Legend Of The Pianist" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

Hector -- "Hornerishly fake"??? IF it weren't directed towards me, I would crack up and congratulate you on a funny.  However....... :evil:  

Dan - laughing, deep, deep, deep down inside

:mrgreen: "Night And Day And Night" from Pay It Forward (T. Newman)

Sorry man, I couldn't pass up the opportunity :music:

Hector - who thinks Monica's Theme is beautiful!!!

I had to say HP. After reading the books, I sincerely think that JW did a FANTASTIC job fitting his 'take' of the books to music. everytime I read the books, I hear his music

When I was re-reading Book One, I was listening to the score and it was awesome! The "Diagon Alley" cue was going perfectly with what I was reading. Something about "The Chess Game" during the Christmas stuff didn't fit too well, though. he he he

Dan - wondering why Ren changed her avatar (again)

:music: "Playing Love" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone)

(IN NUTE GUNRAY VOICE)

Ah! Hector! We meet again!

Dan - interested in seeing what develops

:music: "Chateau D'If" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

It's interesting looking at the votes as they now stand - because that's exactly the way I feel - a three way tie between Attack of the Clones, Harry Potter, and A.I., but The Patriot far down below. I don't dislike The Patriot score, but I really haven't listened to it since the week I bought it. It doesn't inspire me. Harry Potter and A.I., on the other hand, had been wearing holes in my CD player until Attack of the Clones was released.

Since I had to choose one, I chose Attack of the Clones - but I really think it's a three-way tossup for me.

(IN NUTE GUNRAY VOICE)

Ah!  Hector!  We meet again!

Dan - interested in seeing what develops

:) "Chateau D'If" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

what is "nute gunray"?

Why, the Viceroy of the Trade Federation, of course. You know -- the one with the cool Jafar hat.

Dan - certain Hector will know what he's talking about now......right, Hector??? :)

I didn't know he had a name. At least a given name for reference.

I also never understood why they gave the ewoks names. How sure were they that was their names? Can they even pronounce them?

Well, I'm sure every Ewok comes from the same family. They all have the same last name. Didn't you know that? They're all named Lucas!

Dan - being cruel to George again

"Monica's Theme" is a poor thing???  Are you out of your mind?  It's only Johnny's 2nd most beautiful theme ever!

Dan - thinking Morn in a poor scab

It's way way too sappy. Plus it's not that catchy either. Now Blue Fairy, there is a great theme.

Yes "The Blue Fairy" theme is gorgeous, but the simple beauty of "Monica's Theme" is so calming and gentle, not to mention romantic. I love it.

Dan - who will include it in his "Salute To John Williams" montage/arrangement.

Not like Monica's Theme? I'm not sure I understand those words! I agree with Dan, it's one of Williams' most beautiful themes ever, possibly #1 for me. Since you said it was #2, Dan, what is your #1?

Ray Barnsbury

Well, Ray -- in my opinion, Williams most gorgeous melody is "The Blue Fairy" theme...even though "Monica's Theme" rivals from time to time. His most thrilling melody is "Flying Theme from E.T" in my opinion.

Director - who could go on and on about his "favorites" from Johnny

Agreed, E.T.'s Flying Theme is his most thrilling theme, just as it says on the liner notes of the Greatest Hits Album.

Ray Barnsbury