The "Next Williams"?

Director

Who do you think will be the "next John Williams"?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Dave Arnold
    • Don Davis
    • John Debney
    • Danny Elfman
    • James Horner
    • James Newton Howard
    • Howard Shore
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other

I would have to say 1 of these 3;

Silvestri - Mummy Returns really showed what he is capable of.  Massive orchestra with good orchestrations and major themes.  Love him.

JN Howard - again..love him. Dinosaur, Atlantis then onto Devils Advocate etc.  Very versitile and can do small, intimate scores then onto large scale scores (like Silvestri).  Great hummible themes too,

Broughton- why doesn't he work more?!?!  Yes, Lost in Space is FANTASTIC!  Everyone chant "Broughton needs more work"

These 3 have the talent, the diversity, and just plain know how to compose great movie scores that WORK for the film.

Jamesyboy -who also likes pretty much all the others mentioned, but besides Williams,  always has a disc or two of one of those above 3 in his CD bag.

:)

Director - loving the above post

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, why not Bruce Broughton. Anyone who has heard his score for "Rescuers Down Under" or "Lost In Space" knows what he is capable of . TRDU is, in fact, the most memorable film score I´ve ever heard outside John Williams.

He really needs more work - he is underestimated.

Other composers that could very well be the next John Williams are :

John Debney - remember "Cutthroat Island " and his recent "Scorpion King"??Then you know what he is capable of.

David Arnold - he`s wasting much of his time on low-budget scores but when he is given the chance, he is really fantastic (like ID4 and Stargate)

James Newton-Howard - a very diverse composer, but his recent scores "Atlantis" and "Dinosaur" outclasses most film music of the 21st Century.

Klaus Badelt - his score for "The Time Machine" is reminiscent of Indiana Jones, and he is capturing the right rhytms to become a new Williams!

Basil Poledouris - has developed much of an own style, but if you`ve heard "Conan" and "The Jungle Book" you know what he is capable of. In fact, I long thought John Williams had scored "The Jungle Book" until I noticed Poledouris names in the main title sequence.

Hmm, Broughton. He's one of the best around today, but I don't see him as the next master.

• 4 weeks later...
David Arnold - he`s wasting much of his time on low-budget scores but when he is given the chance, he is really fantastic (like ID4 and Stargate)

Perhaps he should have been chosen for Harry Potter help. Maybe he should do JP4 if there will be one and JW will not be doing the music.

~Harry

• 1 year later...

Perhaps we don't know the answer to this, but from discussions I have had with some members, and a clip from a movie I saw, seems this new Santa Klaus guy could be the next Jerry :P

And by the way, I hope Cliff Eidelman associates himself with at least a couple of movies every other year as he becomes one of the most important composers of the future.

:thumbup: Williams Jaws (Film Score)

Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Joel McNeely

Yes, as soon as he started to do symphonic scores people knew this wasn't your average Joe in the street. The composers in the list aren't sending any similar vibes of being destined for greatness. I'm sorry for the soundtrack loving world.

----------------

Alex Cremers

In the 60's when people were wondering who the next generations # 1 composer of big orchestral scores was gonna be, they were not thinking it was gonna be Johnny (Guide For The Married Man, How to Steal a Million and Gidget Goes to Rome) Williams.

And another thing. Are you suggesting that Zimmer just needs a few more Gladiators to practice or to developed his talent before he achieves greatness?

LOL ... :thumbup: ... :angry: .... :P .

In the 60's when people were wondering who the next generations # 1 composer of big orchestral scores was gonna be, they were not thinking it was gonna be Johnny (Guide For The Married Man, How to Steal a Million and Gidget Goes to Rome) Williams.

nobody wondered this because film music's popularity was virtually nil.

there was no internet, so all of us fan boys didn't exist. people didn't sit around speculating. They actually had LIVES

I've often compared Mike Giacchino on here to JW, but I mean in terms of composing style.

I am not trying to compare Mike's work to John's. At least ..... not yet! :sigh:

Please keep Giacchino topics to the assigned thread.

Justin - :sigh:

Well I just brought it up in here, because people had mentioned about me making that comment and I wanted to clarffy is all.

IMO NO ONE in Hollywood is ANYWHERE close to being the next Williams.

I don't even know if I will see anyone on that level again in my lifetime.

Has anyone ever encountered an expanded (or full) version of Broughton's Lost in Space? It was my first film score 6 years ago, and relistening to the short album I have has made me realise how good his work is. I crave more. Can anyone help?

Please keep Giacchino topics to the assigned thread.

Justin - :sigh:

Well I just brought it up in here, because people had mentioned about me making that comment and I wanted to clarffy is all.

IMO NO ONE in Hollywood is ANYWHERE close to being the next Williams.

I don't even know if I will see anyone on that level again in my lifetime.

That's better. For a minute I thought we were losing him.

Dan - who thinks Bruce Broughton has the closest style to Williams, along with Silvestri.  Broughton's actually an incredibly cool cross between Goldsmith and Williams, I think.  Anyone heard the full score to Lost In Space??  Wow....

I only heard The Robot Attack and it was the first time in my life I misjudged a piece as written by Williams while it wasn't...

That does bring up a good point though.  

Will we ever see someone in our lifetime's with a legacy equal to that of JW?  

Doubtful to say the least.

That would be Mr. Jerry Goldsmith.

Justin - Not kidding in any manner whatsoever.

That does bring up a good point though.  

Will we ever see someone in our lifetime's with a legacy equal to that of JW?  

Doubtful to say the least.

That would be Mr. Jerry Goldsmith.

Among film music afficionados, probably so.

I don't concider muzak to be a big factor of someone's legacy. I guess we define legacy differently, but for me, it's first and foremost body of work, and I believe John Williams is ahead of everybody in that field. I think Goldsmith probably had more influence on current film scoring, but I don't know what the means on a grand scale as the majority of current film scoring isn't very good.

Williams is a great composer and has written plenty of memorable film scores, but a touch of genious for him was to obtain the conducting post for an orchestra, but not just any orchestra, but the Boston Pops, one of the most famous orchestra, and in the time Williams joined, it had television coverage. Now that was genious.

In fact, I've often said it that one of the current composers should get a music director post at an orchestra, I think Cliff Eidelman has been conducting but I don't know if he's in a particular orchestra. Also Horner could take a break from composing, conduct and he'll be back fresher than ever, but that's another subject altogether.

Right now Zimmer's legacy on film and TV scoring is a lot bigger then Williams ever was, but unfortunatly that's mostly a negative influence.

What exactly has Williams brought to film music that was not already there?

I think no more or less than Goldsmith, save writing amazing music to popular films, which made film music popular again. Goldsmith may have contributed, but he never had a knock out punch like Star Wars, Raiders or E.T. (I'm not talking quality wise, just on bringing film music to a much wider view). I think with out the Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and E.T. scores, film music would have a small percentige of the exposure it has now.

I think that if you take Goldsmith's entire body of work out of the picture, film music would, at least looking in, look the same. And I could go into that forever- but that's more of a discussion of the effects of film music on the way movies are today. But when it comes down to it, Horner has had a much larger part in popularising orchestral film music than Goldsmith. Most of the public has no idea who Goldmisth is, and if you played them some of his best music, they'd know a tiny percentige of it. Only recently have I really come to appreciate Goldsmith, and I've been collecting for years.

I also think that comes back to Goldsmith's filmography- the vast majority of his films range from ok to forgettable to bad, and that's why he never had the exposure and IMO missed out on a lot of the opportunities Williams had.

But his best scores- Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk, Kings Row, Captain Blood, Elizabeth and Essex, are for his best films.

Not sure where you got that from, I could also easily come up with a dozen great Goldsmith scores. But he has been involved with very few great movies, and most of those have not had great scores.

I think no more or less than Goldsmith, save writing amazing music to popular films, which made film music popular again. Goldsmith may have contributed, but he never had a knock out punch like Star Wars, Raiders or E.T.  

Or the two notes from Jaws, the five notes in CE3K,....the celesta in Harry Potter,....

Great Goldsmith films

Patton

Planet Of The Apes

Chinatown

Papillon

Omen, The  

First Great Train Robbery(maybe)

Alien

Poltergeist  

Gremlins

Total Recall  

Basic Instinct  

L.A. Confidential

Great Goldsmith films:

Patton

Planet of the Apes

L.A. Confidential

Alien

Chinatown

Arguably Great Goldsmith films:

Great Train Robbery, The

Papillon

I don't think he's been part of any other great films, and IMO only Patton had a truely great score, as in one of Goldsmith's best.

And most of his best scores are obviously not represented.

Morlock- who feels uncomfortable that he has to repeatidly say seemingly negative stuff about goldsmith

Excuse me, i don't wanna dis your personal opinion, but generrally in the film score community the scores from:

Planet of the Apes

Alien

Basic Instinct

The Omen

Poltergeist

Are considered genuine classics.

And that's not including his brilliant scores for lesser films, TMP for instance.

The Omen and Potergeist are great, but I concider neither even nearly great films. I don't know Basic Instinct, but don't think the film is great, and I respectfully disagree with the films scoring community about PoTA.

And I think I've made it clear that he's done many great scores for lesser films.

Planet Of The Apes IS a brilliant score, you just lack what it takes to appriciate it.

And it's a well known fact that Williams tends to score films that are held in higher regard then Goldsmith.

But i think Goldsmith's style of scoring, especially in the 70's and 80's was more innovative, and has influenced many composrrs of the new generation.

Especially his action writing.