The "Next Williams"?

Director

Who do you think will be the "next John Williams"?  

47 members have voted

1. 1.

• Dave Arnold
    • Don Davis
    • John Debney
    • Danny Elfman
    • James Horner
    • James Newton Howard
    • Howard Shore
    • Alan Silvestri
    • Hans Zimmer
    • Other

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK -- I added Davis and Arnold to the poll......and, dammit.....I was going to add an option for "other"...I shall do that.

Dan - who wanted to sign off after 275, but alas....

:music: "Conversation with Letterblair" from The Age Of Innocence (E. Bernstein)

CRAP! Because I had to move everyone down 2, my vote ended up on Elfman's spot. I voted for James Newton Howard, so we shall keep that in mind when we make the final tally, wee ones. Understood?

Dan - emulating Mrs. Doubtfire and Prof. McGonagall

:music: "Ellen at the Store" from The Age Of Innocence (E. Bernstein)

I dont quite get the main question Director.

Who will be the next williams??...Well..Nobody will.

Williams is Williams........and the next composer will be the next composer.

I would certainly hate to be a composer always being viewed as "The new..."

I think most composers would like to be recognized as themselves.

Or do you mean "Who will take over scoring many of Spielberg films etc?"

Yes, I know, I know. What I meant was, (and I think most will see it this way) is that who do you think will reach the same status as Williams?

Before Williams, Miklos Rozsa, Max Steiner, and Erich Korngold all experienced great popularity throughtout their careers. None to the extent that Williams has, of course.

So -- stylistically, who will most resemble Williams? Popularity-wise, who will most resemble him?

Who will be the most celebrated film composer of the next generation?

Does that make it clearer for you?

Dan - who hopes it does

:music: "Dr. Larch Dies" from The Cider House Rules (Portman)

The Musketeer was very good. I haven't heard any of his Bond scores, but I have heard ID4, though not enough to make a judgement on it.

Have you seen his latest project, Changing Lanes (Ben Affleck and Samuel L. Jackson)? It's great!

Dan - who knows one of the actors in that movie

:music: "Farewell and End Title" from Dances With Wolves (Barry)

David Arnold although Joel McNeily has the closest style to Williams.

What composer did you meet Director?

Justin -Wondering... :?

I met Silvestri after re-meeting Williams. Really down-to-Earth guys with wonderful personalities and incredibly nice.

Dan - who thinks Bruce Broughton has the closest style to Williams, along with Silvestri. Broughton's actually an incredibly cool cross between Goldsmith and Williams, I think. Anyone heard the full score to Lost In Space?? Wow....

Well this is a question I've always asked myself. What will we ever do if Williams stops scoring movies!! (although by the looks of it we won't have to worry for some time! 8O ) I've always had a place for David Arnold because when I heard parts of ID4 or Stargate I thought of Williams. He has a way of writing for the whole orchestra (although he is heavy on the brass :) ) that just reminds me of Williams. After Tomorrow Never Dies it sealed the deal He's on the top of my list with Williams, Elfman, and Goldsmith!

McNeely is such a close second I have to mention him! when I bought Shadows of the Empire I was expecting some hack job. BUT I was pleasntly surprised about how well McNeely seemed to have GOT the Star Wars Feel. It wasn't Star Wars yet it was. (go figure) I don't know if that was just him emulating Williams or that was his own thing but if he can do that on command then well He deserves the credit! I loved the playing with Vader's theme on the last track of Shadows of the Empire 8O

I don't think any of these composers will be the next master 8O

But the best are

Don Davis

James Horner

Howard Shore

Oh my God, Morn and I actually agree on something! Nevermind the fact there will never be another Williams, none of these guys are fit to lick his boots. Somebody like Elfman has a chance to be popular -- in fact he is, if only because he is associated with Tim Burton and is therefore the sound of choice for disenfranchised pseudo-Goth suburban kids everywhere. But he is no Williams, nor will he ever be able to hold his head high among the very greatest.

Ha ha, James Newton Howard. That is a very good joke.

Figo, depressed by the list of candidates.

Okay, I chose Horner. But reluctantly. I hope he doesn't see this poll. It will only encourage him to coast, and Lord knows he doesn't need any encouragement.

I think he and Don Davis are the most talented on the list. Just wish Horner wasn't so lazy! 8O He's wasting his gifts.

Anybody who named a name is wrong.

None of these guys is the next John Williams.

Not one.

They all have their own identity and their place, but none of them are John or ever will be John.

Don't you get it.

John is a unique talent. Every once in a while the cream rises tot the top.

Thats John. John is to filmmusic what Michael Jordan was to basketball, what Babe Ruth was to baseball. John is the once in a lifetime talent. Thats not to say some others are good, they are. John is just better than ever other film composer out there. He doesn't always compose the best music, but his overall portfolio is so far better than any others its uncanny.

When John Williams is no more I will not go looking for the next John Williams I will be content with my collection of his great music. As long as his music is reproduced he will never truely be dead. I will listen to my other film composers that I like but none will replace John.

I think that with "the next John Williams" it is clearly meant the next household name, the next composer who is generally regarded as the most prolific, the most famous of all film composers.

Nowadays; that position is clearly held by John Williams.

The "next John Williams" could be a totally different composer, but who shares Williams popularity.

I think this is what the Director meant in the first place.

My vote goes to James Horner who is, after Titanic, already halfway there.

Bye,

Roald

I think that with "the next John Williams" it is clearly meant the next household name, the next composer who is generally regarded as the most prolific, the most famous of all film composers.

Nowadays; that position is clearly held by John Williams.

The "next John Williams" could be a totally different composer, but who shares Williams popularity.

I think this is what the Director meant in the first place.

My vote goes to James Horner who is, after Titanic, already halfway there.

Bye,

Roald

I agree with Joe in the fact that NONE of these guys will be the next "Williams" and since it actually means the next HOusehold name, that title belongs to ... ME!!!!! :) I will be the next big composer and don't say I didn't warn you in advance!!!!!!!!!! :)

He doesn't always compose the best music, but his overall portfolio is so far better than any others

Any other *living* composer :)

However, I'd say that Goldsmith is a unique talent, but Williams is on another level that only a few film composers in the past have come close to.

:) ROTFL LOL HANS ZIMMER!!!

:) LOL

I've got to go along with Joe here... There will never be another John Williams... I voted for Howard Shore. His music is impressive and I enjoy it. I was tempted to vote for Alan Silvestri, but I was kind of disappointed in recent efforts.

HANS ZIMMER :roll:

Big Ken:who can't believe anyone would even suggest such nonsense ROTFL

I went with David Arnold only because of his potential. Although, ever since Tomorrow Never Dies, I've not been too impressed with his work. He started off with a bang with Stargate and ID4. He needs to go back to that style instead of that psuedo-techno stuff he has done recently.

Howard Shore was a close second.

I don't even think Horner should be on this list. He's had his chance and he blew it.

I don't even think Horner should be on this list.  He's had his chance and he blew it.

Perfectly put. When I first heard the score to Star trek II and Something Wicked This Way Comes, I thought 'this guy has got it and will be the next John Williams'... and then something happened along the way. James Horner has some skills, there is no denying that, but he just refuses to use them :?

Big Ken: :) Crime of the Century, John Williams (Superman)

:)  ROTFL  LOL HANS ZIMMER!!!

:)  LOL  

I've got to go along with Joe here... There will never another John Williams... I voted for Howard Shore. His music is impressive and I enjoy it. I was tempted to vote for Alan Silvestri, but I was kind of disappointed in recent efforts.

HANS ZIMMER :roll:  

Big Ken:who can't believe anyone would even suggest such nonsense ROTFL

calm down Big Ken or the next thing you know is you will need adult diapers.

Joe, who knows that Hans Zimmer is the 3rd leading cause of incontinence in the USA.

If James Newton Howard is given enough oppurtunities, he can shine. I think he is the best of the bunch named in this poll, though he hasn't, at least not in my opinion, had the cahnce to really show what he's got. he's definitely an amzing composer though and would love to see him score a huge epic. his sound is a truly unique one, and completely original.

Maybe, but he's definately not the best on the list!

Morn - Who think's he's overrated

I voted for other, because I think that there are countless numbers of composers who could become the next John Williams in the sense of popularity and ability, but I think that the style of these composers will be very different. I think that Don Davis has a chance because JW recommended him for JPIII, so he obviously seem to have potential in JW's eyes, and David mArnold makes very effective scores. They are all good, however, so it is tough to say. JAmes Horner will never be the next John Williams. We should be looking for a next James Horner. Not to say that he is as godd as JW, but he is so good that he can be considered one of the Composers we should be looking for a next one of. Yeah.

~Conor

Joe, who knows that Hans Zimmer is the 3rd leading cause of incontinence in the USA.

And the number one cause of noise in movie theatres...

Big Ken: who means no disrespect to those who like Hans Zimmer... some people like pickled pigs feet, too :(

David Arnold... started off with a bang with Stargate and ID4.

I mean no disrespect when I say that everything about ID4 sucked, and that includes the score. Believe me, I listened VERY closely, just to try and find SOMETHING to alleviate the tedium. Very obvious stuff (the movie and the music), and not very good.

My girlfriend has "Stargate" on tape (she has a huge video library), but so far I haven't seen it. It should be worth it, though, if only for Jaye "The Crying Game" Davidson. That, at least, ought to be a scream.

You know, I was wondering. . .

hmmmm, I wonder if any colleges out there have a John Williams Orchestration style class. I know at some colleges they have things like "Sinatra Phrasing" and "Mancini Orchestration". I wonder if people actually teach classes on the style of John Williams.

If there is. . .I bet it will inspire someone taking it now to follow in his footsteps and become a great composer. Then people will talk about how much his work is influenced by the works of JW!

I love James Newton Howard and think he's incredibly talented. Howard Shore is talented, but I don't think he can reach the level of Williams. I might be wrong, though...that has happened once or twice in the past 20 years. :(

Like I said, I'm not too familiar with David Arnold, so I can't really judge, but I'm looking forward to hearing more of his stuff now.

And I think Williams recommended Davis for JPIII because Davis was Horner's orchestrator. In my opinion, Horner's orchestrations are the best.....his melodies are --- hmmm...how should I say it? --- exasperating! Davis is clearly talented because he's an amazing orchestrator.

Dan - who thinks that's what Johnny felt.

;) "The Heartlands" from "The Beyondness Of Things" (Barry)

Davis is very talented! Have you heard The Matrix? He's not really good at writing themes though.

I have a few files from The Matrix on my computer, but I haven't really listened to them.

I wasn't too impressed with Jurassic Park III, but some moments were cool.

What else has he done?

Dan - wanting to expand his horizons

I've seen the score on CD here in the States.

Dan - who will go to this link later on because he has to leave and he's too busy groovin' to "Something for Rosa" from Earthquake

No, I'm pretty sure it's just a score CD. I was going to buy it on eBay not too long ago, actually.

Dan - who was outbid by a phantom menace

Alan Silvestri. I love his music. Forrest Gump is simply amazing. He has to be my second favorite composer.

Ray Barnsbury-who thinks it's cool that Dan met Silvestri

Ha! Tippett -- wonder if he's related to Phil. Hmmm..

Well, I'm definitely going to get some more Arnold scores and take a listen for myself. I'm happy to see that 3 other people voted for James Newton Howard. He's supposed to have 4 votes, but when I moved all the names down to insert a few, my vote ended up going to Elfman.

Director - who heard Elfman's Beetlejuice today and didn't remember it being that cool.

I would have to say 1 of these 3;

Silvestri - Mummy Returns really showed what he is capable of. Massive orchestra with good orchestrations and major themes. Love him.

JN Howard - again..love him. Dinosaur, Atlantis then onto Devils Advocate etc. Very versitile and can do small, intimate scores then onto large scale scores (like Silvestri). Great hummible themes too,

Broughton- why doesn't he work more?!?! Yes, Lost in Space is FANTASTIC! Everyone chant "Broughton needs more work"

These 3 have the talent, the diversity, and just plain know how to compose great movie scores that WORK for the film.

Jamesyboy -who also likes pretty much all the others mentioned, but besides Williams, always has a disc or two of one of those above 3 in his CD bag.

NONE! Williams is his own composer and anyone who wants to be on that level is going to have to break their own path to stardom and not try to follow in JW's footsteps.

At least if you mean "composing like JW".

If you mean AS FAMOUS as JW the answer is still NONE!

There is not one guy on that list worthy of the challenge.

-Rogue Leader who is thrilled he is alive during Williams career as a composer.

I interperate the question as who is going to be the next master. And I agree, none so far look like they could be.