Memoirs of a Geisha Complete Score

GoodMusician

That's the point.

That's why in that case the rule wasn't applicable.

Mirko - who'd like a Complete Memoirs of a Geisha Score (typed to not going too off-topic :) )

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have an FTP...

if you want WoTW... PM me... but this is the wrong thread to be talking about it in. there is a WoTW thread already.

as for forum rules... I'm going to follow them.

As far as Memoirs goes

It's really slow. I had to rip every chapter (all 28) and then put them in their own folders to keep htem organized and as I edit I have jump around and make sure the files go together well... and remember, that's 6 tracks of music by 28 chapters... not fun to deal with. lol

and the program is still being bitchy. You'll get an update today probably though.

Yeah but sometimes that's a lame rule.

Adam left the board because of that. :)

It doesn't matter, that's the rule and you guys need to oblidge by it. No other board that I visit allows the posting of links to copy righted music either so this board shouldn't be any different. If you don't like the rules then tough shit.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it took me a little while to notice this...

I was editing and I decided to see if the center track was clean. It had people talking.

So for a moment I thought to myself "What are they saying? It doesn't sound english. But I don't remember there being many scenes where they speak Japaenes."

Then it hits me. They are speaking english, but ... but the sound was messing up.

I'm begining to think that the dvd protection on the disk is whats keeping this rip from working.

It sounded as if someone took the soundfile and deleted every other half second, and then condenced them what was left together.

You get this jumbled up sound. ALL the tracks unfortunately have this.

SO....

What to do.

Well, I have some good news and Bad news. The good news is, my computer is set up to be 5.1 surround sound compatable ... and I have audio imputs... so I can use some cables, and trick the computer into recording what it is playing.

But I've tried doing it before and sometimes, especially in quieter moments, you get some hiss.

So, what I'm going to do is go back through the movie, and record the only the moments in the movie that have music in them, front and back tracks, and then go from there... see where that takes me.

This is definately turning into a BIG project REALLY quickly lol...

Sorry abotu all the problems

EDIT:

Oh, and I meant to ask... does anyone have a recording schedule for MoaG? That would be helpfull too.

Thanks

no no... not dead...

I just postponed it for the time being. I'll be picking it up again tonight probably. I had some other stuff I needed to do before I started playing around with my computers wiring to get to rip this. It also upsets me because it's not gonna be the best sounding rip eaither.

Just like the album, there will probably be a high wine.

GoodMusician,

I had some strange experiences with the Memoirs DVD myself, but I won't get into that now.

As far as getting the music from DVDs, I recommend using a set-top DVD player with analog 6-channel out. This way, you can physically chose which channels you want to record and plug in the corresponding RCA cables into your soundcard. You'll get better sound quality than from playing and recording from your sound card, especially if your using a "loop" set-up. I've only ever recorded music from DVDs using this method - with perfect results always. Just play from anywhere on the DVD, pause when you reach the end of the cue, "Save As...", and repeat until you've got all the cues you desire. Of course, you can also just make one film-length .wav recording and edit that.

The advantages recording using the DVD player method:

- more control over what you're recording (and when)

- no copy-protection issues

- .wav files are recorded in realtime, as you watch the film - making it easy to split the cues.

Matt, who may be willing to take on this project if need be....

Yea... I'm aware of that method. Problem is I don't have a DVD player with 6-channel... too expencive for my blood.

That's why I was happy to find a way to do it on the computer. That way I can get the files in maybe 30 mins rather than having to watch the movie like 6 times and record the channels lol...

thanks though for the tip. I would if I could.

GoodMusician,

I had some strange experiences with the Memoirs DVD myself, but I won't get into that now.

As far as getting the music from DVDs, I recommend using a set-top DVD player with analog 6-channel out.  This way, you can physically chose which channels you want to record and plug in the corresponding RCA cables into your soundcard.  You'll get better sound quality than from playing and recording from your sound card, especially if your using a "loop" set-up.  I've only ever recorded music from DVDs using this method - with perfect results always.  Just play from anywhere on the DVD, pause when you reach the end of the cue, "Save As...", and repeat until you've got all the cues you desire.  Of course, you can also just make one film-length .wav recording and edit that.

- .wav files are recorded in realtime, as you watch the film - making it easy to split the cues.

Have you noticed that this way your going from Digital to Analog and back to Digital, with quility drop in between?

And going full digital, you still mantain full control on what your doing.

GoodMusician,

As far as getting the music from DVDs, I recommend using a set-top DVD player with analog 6-channel out.  This way, you can physically chose which channels you want to record and plug in the corresponding RCA cables into your soundcard.  You'll get better sound quality than from playing and recording from your sound card, especially if your using a "loop" set-up.  I've only ever recorded music from DVDs using this method - with perfect results always.  Just play from anywhere on the DVD, pause when you reach the end of the cue, "Save As...", and repeat until you've got all the cues you desire.  Of course, you can also just make one film-length .wav recording and edit that.

Have you noticed that this way your going from Digital to Analog and back to Digital, with quility drop in between?

And going full digital, you still mantain full control on what your doing.

I have a DVD player with 6 analogue outs.I guess it depends how good these analogue outs are.Mine are kinda crappy(hey what do you expect from a 100$ DVD recorder),if the music is mixed low I get a lot of amplified machine noise or whatever,so I coundn't do PoA for example.Maybe the wire to my sound card was to long.Anyways the he digital rip I got from someone else is much better.

K.M.

• 2 weeks later...

So, does anybody know the chronological order of Memoirs? I saw the film today, and some tracks were definitely out of order, with "Sayuri's Theme" tracked in several places. "Dr. Crab's Prize" seemed to be absent. However, I can't recall everything from the one viewing.

• 1 month later...

So, I keep getting asked what the deal is with Memoirs... if it's still being worked on what have you...

Well, as we were talking about in the thread earlier, I had a lot of problems trying to rip the material. I could export to a VOB, but I couldnt convert that to wav without it getting many errors...

So I back burnered it.

Well, thanks to Miguel Adrande, this project is now going to continue forward.

Miquel somehow managed to get a DVD of memoirs that did not have these errors--I did try but it seemes he found one I could not--and is int he process of sending it to me. I will then begin working with that. He has also graciously been able to help making cover art for many of my complete scores--this one included--and has also found some source music from Memoirs that will also be included.

Thanks Miguel, this would not be able to happen without your efforts.

So, I will keep you all updated as things continue forward.

;-)

Actually haven't posted the discs in the mail yet... Sorry.

Will do on friday.

And I'll keep looking for the rest of source music, but there's quiet a lot of it, and not easy to find.

As for the covers, if there is interest in those, I can post them here, as I keep coming with the concepts for them.

By the way, the DVD bernie mentioned is a academy promo, without any menus or chapters... and aparently any copy protections :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Music that plays within the universe of the film. It can be on a radio or a TV, or played by a band in the film. Source music is diegetic sound. It can be either library music, or music written specifically for the film by a band or the film's composer.