Complete scores on itunes

lordskylark

I had an idea...

If they don't want to go through the production process releasing complete scores, wouldn't it be HIGHLY beneficial/profitable to just release all the cues (and alternates) on itunes? It woudl take them about an hour or so at the most to do this. All the music is already recorded and stored. They would just have to convert the wavs into itune format (or record the tapes to wav then to itune format).

They would make a LOT of money off of that for VERY VERY little work and it was satisfy all of us too.

Then if you didn't care about all the alternates too, you wouldn't have to buy them, But if you wanted them, then you could buy of all of them too.

Do you think a petition could be started for something like that? Would anyone sign that if one got started?

Thanks,

~Andy

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they really need to (re)master them? There's complete recordings of bootleg scores with alternates and everything and they sound awesome without any remastering work. Besides, aren't most mixed anyways for the movies? I don't think all the cues for the SW videogames were remastered and they sound fine. And even if they weren't remastered or whatever, is it better to have them unmastered or not at all?

~Sky

Of course it's better to have lower quality music than none at all. But unfortunately, I think news of poor sound quality are more powerful than news of a complete score.

It's a great idea, but it will never happen. iTunes obviously doesn't give a rat's hindquarters about film music.

Sad but very true!

I'm always asked why this can't be done, but I concur completely. You could spend a week with Steve Jobs and wouldn't be able to convince him to do that. There's only going to be a limited market for these things and there's far more profitable things to do with their time.

It's a real shame too, because this is the only genre of music which is far more imaginitive than 'normal' music, and yet we're at the mercy of the monkeys at the top, and the composers, with what we get to hear.... forever.

All about money, this world - not what people actually want. A$$holes :(

There's no chance of getting iTunes to release scores when we can't even get film studios to release decent, complete versions of scores (instead of just a collection of every song that might have appeared in a film). And then people in Hollywood have the balls to criticize fans who create bootlegs for infringing on a studio's copyright.

I guess it didn't state it correctly... Petitioning itunes is not what i meant (that would not to anything). I meant, petitioning the companies that release the scores to movies (or the production company) to release the fullscores on itunes.

~Sky

I won't touch iTunes from 50 miles away anyway, until I can get 320k mp3's for a helluva lot lower than 99p, and with no C.R.A.P. (the latest DRM acronym)

It's only in my dreams that record companies would recognize that by finding a low cost way to distribute this stuff, there's a huge source of revenue. Heck - I'm sure we'd be able to set it up given access to the music.

And we know from promos that they do have and are willing to release the music, but only to a select few, and for, obviously, promotional purposes. Well how much more promotional can you get than doing a reasonable run of these offered to fans? There's no sense in the industry whatsoever.

um its still alot of work. u need to work out royalties for iTunes, for hte musicians, jw, for the toher people that worked on the album etc. that will take alot of time for each complete score. and also how many people really want complete scores? like really? most people want the one star wars theme or the one harry potter theme. they dont care about the rest (this applies to most of popular music as well). so the work that goes into uploading it, doing royalties, etc might not be worth it. star wars 4-6 and lotr were so well recieved that enough people wanted a complete score to do. but say, minority report? not many people want it.

The cost of releasing music isn't a much in the manufacture of CD's then it is about licensing, re-use fees and costs for the (re)mixing/mastering.

Mr. Cosman speaks truth.

Well, there's trooth in that garbled sentence. ROTFLMAO

If only, if only...

Yeah, it is a pity that iTunes doesn't even have an ample selection of regular soundtrack releases. The sad thing is, most people don't give a baboon's hindquarters about film scores; the iTunes music selection reflects this lack of interest.

Better yet, just release every single cue on every single film score soundtrack the first time around. I don't think it would cost much more to put all the cues on the soundtrack than it does to put half of them on it, and then all the marketing people could go crazy with higher prices and COMPLETE SCORE in huge letters, etc. I'd still pay for an Episode III complete score release.