Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana

ashinyobject

on myspace on elfman's fanthingy they are streaming a movement a day of his latest Concerto(?).

http://www.myspace.com/dannyelfman

if anyone has a way to record the stream, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could do that for me or anyone else for that matter.

i do not believe you have to have an account to listen to it.

the 1st movement is called Pianos.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm loving the first movement so far

Edit: This is some of his best work if not the best work that Elfman's ever done IMO

Will this piece ever be released officially? I would think that he has a large enough fan base that it would warrant release. I'm very much enjoying this, though. It's terrific.

Ted

I read an article a few months back that stated "Serenada Schizophrana" was adapted by a female composer to an IMAX film, with Elfman's supervision or blessing, or something along those lines. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Tim

The sheet music for this piece can be rented at Schirmer:

However it is a big orchestra.

Please post if there exists a recording.

Danny Elfman : Work List

* Orchestra

o Serenada Schizophrana (2005) - 42 minute(s)

Chorus small female chorus in mvt. 5

Orchestration 3(2pic,afl).3(2ca).3(Ebcl,2bcl,asx).3(2cbn)/6.3.3(btbn)+btbn(cbtbn).1(Cimbasso)/timp(perc).5perc/hp.2pf(syn).syn/str (14.10.8.8.6)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great News. I was hoping for a release of this piece. A concert work by Danny Elfman makes me very curious.

Ted

Whats this actually? Btw I've always been curious. Where and how did Danny learn to write for orchestra? I know he is a rocker turned composer but I've never found anything detailed about how he managed to blossom into what he is now.

• 4 weeks later...

Elfman's next symphonic work from soundtrack.net

Grammy-winning, three time Oscar-nominated composer Danny Elfman will premiere his latest symphonic work, "OVERTURE TO A NONEXISTENT MUSICAL" on September 15, 16 and 17 at conductor John Mauceri's farewell concerts at the Hollywood Bowl.  

To help celebrate Mauceri's sixteen years of leading the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, Elfman has composed an eight minute work which the composer describes as "a big, fun, boisterous and slightly crazy piece written to bid goodbye to one of film music's biggest supporters. I imagined it as a grand overture to something that doesn't actually exist. Many themes... as if taken from a larger work... some kind of imaginary musical or ballet."  

John Mauceri and Danny Elfman's first collaboration was for Sony Classical's upcoming recording of Elfman's "SERENADA SCHIZOPHRANA", a full length symphony which had its world premiere at Carnegie Hall last year. The Sony CD will be in stores on October 23.

• 1 month later...

If you go over to soundtrack.net, there's an ad on the top right of the page under the banner for the cd, it has previews for all the tracks in good sound quality. Or just go here to play it

You can order it here

Last track is called Improv for Alto Sax, it's not numbered as part of the movement, a surprising and welcome addition!

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard the whole thing yet? I'm still in the first movement, but I really like it so far.

Ted

Damn, I forgot this was released already. Ordering it now!

Nice cover art...

csonm89780saow2.jpg

It's no. 658 on the Amazon music sales rankings... that's not bad, actually.

Always nice to see film composers write for concert. ;)

Yes, it is. And it gives me something to throw in my music professors' faces when they say film composers aren't up to par with "classical" composers.... Some of them don't even know that JW wrote concertos.

I'm really impressed. Sincerely, I think this is the best thing Elfman has written since "Edward Scissorhands". I had read very good reviews when this was premiered, I expected something good and innovative, but not to such an extent. Definitely more interesting than most of the contemporary music.

The lyrics in Spanish in the 5th movement, "I Forget", were surprisingly funny ;)

Incidentally, the latest FSM podcast covers this. Haven't listened to it yet, but should be good.

- Marc, who thinks the FSM podcast should be far more frequent than it is now.

I'm also very impressed with this work by Elfman. I just watched HULK last night on cable television (the buggers CUT the desert tank battle though- what a bunch of idiots!) and I still think it was a strong effort for Elmfman, especially considering he had like 1 week to write the whole score....

I like the score to Hulk also. It may seem inconsistent or choppy if one hasn't seen the film, but within its intended context it fits very well.

Ted

I'm told I know nothing because I'm not familiar with the comic book, as if that has anything to do with the quality of the movie. I thought the movie was quite good as a character study as well as an action vehicle. Bana was terrific in the role. Ang Lee also did a remarkable job capturing the exhiliration of rage and destruction. The Josh Lucas character was a bore, but all the others were at the very least interesting, and I just loved Bana's exploration of the role. The final showdown was not anywhere near as compelling as the desert chase and surrender in San Francisco, which was the true high point of the film. But I agree with you, Merkel, I think my three favorite comic book character movies are Batman Begins, the original Superman, and The Hulk.

Ted