The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the trailer was great! Did what it was supposed to, show a bit of what's coming but not too much. The use of non-JW music was a bit of a negative... could they not have used some less-recognized (at least by the general public) but similar-in-tone music from an earlier Indy film? Oh well. Still, haven't been this excited to see a trailer in a long time. Is it May yet?? And when does the soundtrack come out?? :D

Cheers!

--Kevin

I think they are stretching the Indy here. It seems like they are going for more extreme, both in quantity and quality. There is a big differance than the booby traps in Raiders vs. how elaborate this Mayan temple is looking. It seems a bit too National Treasure or Tomb Raider to me. I can deal with reasonable extremities, but not this.

But what the hell is a Russian doing commanding US troops in Roswell, NM? And the "Damn I thought that was closer" was way cheesy and got an eye roll from me.

I thought the trailer was great! Did what it was supposed to, show a bit of what's coming but not too much. The use of non-JW music was a bit of a negative... could they not have used some less-recognized (at least by the general public) but similar-in-tone music from an earlier Indy film? Oh well. Still, haven't been this excited to see a trailer in a long time. Is it May yet?? And when does the soundtrack come out?? :D

Cheers!

--Kevin

As far as the opening music goes, they could have easily used the Map Room cue from Raiders. That would have given me goose bumps.

I see Saxman is his usual enthousiastic self.

K.M.Who just saw it properly and still thinks it's 99% awesome. (1% deducted for the MV music)

KM ---- look, I just tell it how it is......no fanboy hype. If you check the Dark Knight thread, you'll see a GLOWING review of the trailer from me when it first came out. THAT is good stuff. I don't poop on everything --- just the things that I think really suck when they for all intents and purposes shouldn't, considering the talent involved.

Yes, I hated most aspects of the prequels, especially because the Star Wars OT are 3 of my favorite movies. This trailer reminded me of the poor-quality, poor-editing/pacing, poor-dialogue/delivery, heavy unrealistic, cartoony CGI that plagued the prequels. Thus, I hated this trailer.

Did no one else think it was incredibly rushed and amateurishly spliced together?

Saxman is really out of line though...acts like one of these cynical AICN talkbackers that hate everything. How can anyone be so bitter about the SW prequels is beyond me

K.M.

probably because they are bad movie making, especially AOTC which is the worst movie of the 21st century(slightly ahead of A.I.) that John Williams has scored. I'll watch the trailer this weekend at the movies.

But what the hell is a Russian doing commanding US troops in Roswell, NM?

So certain they're US troops now, are we?

As far as the opening music goes, they could have easily used the Map Room cue from Raiders. That would have given me goose bumps.

Now that I agree with.

- J Dan, wondering how long before a savvy video editing Indy fan 'fixes' it.

I love it!

:D

I'm more excited about the original score, though . . . what new themes will John Williams come up with?

(This trailer kinda reminds me of the first PoA trailer . . . because the (very) best parts aren't shown at all! )

Is no one else critical of the use of the Raiders march through the quickly edited action shots in the later half of the trailer? It's... awkward.

Ted

It's... awkward.

Care to elaborate on that?

The Raiders March is instantly recognizable to almost ANYBODY . . . so it kinda stands to reason that this is gonna be used. It's like Luke Skywalker's Theme for a Star Wars trailer.

I had to watch it again because the music threw me the first time, but I really like it. That part where he swings forward on the whip but ends up falling backwards onto the truck is pretty classic Indy (regardless of how cheesy the line may be). Can't wait for May!

It's... awkward.

Care to elaborate on that?

The Raiders March is instantly recognizable to almost ANYBODY . . . so it kinda stands to reason that this is gonna be used. It's like Luke Skywalker's Theme for a Star Wars trailer.

The Raiders March by itself is fine, but its application to the style of these images is just off. The music of the trailer seems to fit into an older aesthetic of movie previews, while the quick-hit style of editing is thoroughly contemporary. And it results in a somewhat awkward mix. My faith in the movie is not shaken one bit, but the trailer (as a trailer) is not too good.

Ted

I have to say, I rather like that artwork, looks nicely old school.

It's good techniques, but the composition is awful (IMO). The lower part looks like Star Wars in some way, and the overall atmosphere just isn't Indy style. It's more like a Blade Runner Poster or so. When copying Struzan, one should do it good.

you do know(aparently you don't) that the Blade Runner poster was by John Alvin and not Struzan.

I mean this poster of course.

bladerunnerartdrewstruzan.jpg

I just watched the trailers for the first three films. They definitely don't do the films justice. Last Crusade's trailer hams up the comedic moments, making the jokes appear to be far worse than they are through editing. The Raiders March is used incessantly.

So by comparison, the trailer for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is fine. It has many of the same flaws, only it's done with obnoxious modern editing and sound design techniques. I'm underwhelmed, but that's okay. It's just the teaser. The full trailer will be something to really look forward to, especially since it will probably feature new music.

I just watched the trailers for the first three films. They definitely don't do the films justice. Last Crusade's trailer hams up the comedic moments, making the jokes appear to be far worse than they are through editing. The Raiders March is used incessantly.

So by comparison, the trailer for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is fine. It has many of the same flaws, only it's done with obnoxious modern editing and sound design techniques. I'm underwhelmed, but that's okay. It's just the teaser. The full trailer will be something to really look forward to, especially since it will probably feature new music.

Has there been a date announced for release of the official trailer?

Fair enough --- since it's just the teaser, I'll cut it some slack ---- there are some big red flags from this, though.

I really don't understand how someone could not be excited and thrilled by that trailer.

Harrison didn't sound stiff in the lines at all. He says them the way Indy ALWAYS said them. And just because CGI is used (not NEARLY as much as the prequels as you can see just in the trailer) doesn't mean it's used poorly.

The only complaint I have about the trailer is the use of Dune music when John Williams should have been used for the whole thing. It seems very very very out of place.

But when it gets down to business...how could anyone possibly not be thrilled? I dare anyone to list things they don't like about it, and I will list reasons why that very same moment is great.

I was reading a FSM thread...that the generic MV music is just to make it seem for a few seconds that it's another run of the mill Nationnal Treasure like action film...then you realise it's Indy.Makes sense

I was reading a FSM thread...that the generic MV music is just to make it seem for a few seconds that it's another run of the mill Nationnal Treasure like action film...then you realise it's Indy.Makes sense

Maybe...but the old footage is pretty instantly recognisable...

If you've seen the films a lot yes...but Indy's face is never shown untill after picks up his hat .So for non fanboys it might take a few seconds to place the scenes.

The music may be bad, but at least the tone is right. I'd really like this Indy to be epic. I'd like it to challenge and threaten its characters in a way Last Crusade did not (except for the abruptly dramatic climax).

Yep, in a way it's a great way to market it, especially where the kids of today are concerned. The bland intro music is aimed at the newbie crowd, then suddenly THAT theme kicks in and they all think Hey, I know that tune from somewhere. I think it's a deliberate juxtaposition.

It's not just the fans the film producers have to impress, indeed the fans are the least of their worries.

If you've seen the films a lot yes...but Indy's face is never shown untill after picks up his hat .So for non fanboys it might take a few seconds to place the scenes.

Hmm..yea. Maybe. :D

It looks like a "real" Indy film from the shots we see.Not a drastic difference like the SW OT and Prequels.

K.M.

To be fair, the Episode I trailer was kick ass (still my fav trailer of all time) and didnt seem like a drastic departure from the OT either (but then again the film itself was closest to the OT than the other two)

The cinematography looks stunning, absolutely spot on.

d. Slocombe style is what Spielberg wanted from Kaminski, not Kaminski style

Judging from the reactions here I expected the worst, but...

HOORAY!!! IT'S GREAT!!! INDY'S BACK!!

Although the cuts are very fast, this really looks like a big budget Raiders of the Lost Ark! :D What do we want more?

The old footage looked better than ever, and I think it's so exciting to see an Indy story unfold in crisp quality images!

Indeed, the intro makes the audience wonder which movie this may be. It's a producer's joke. I must say the low quality Raiders March record that follows sounds a bit corny after that smooth intro, almost like a comedy ;-)

And sadly, Williams' music is badly damaged in this trailer.

But promising overall, very promising!

PS: Which track is used for the intro? I hate to say it, but I think a Brian Tyler Indy score would be very interesting.

Yes Tyler's music would be fine if you like bland wallpaper scores in your films.

It's a teaser trailer folks, they aren't going to shoot their load the first time.

They have a whole new audience to promote this film to and get them excited about seeing it, even if it means spicing it up with MV style music just a little. It's a franchise that's returning after 19 years with 2 sequels that didn't even gross over $200 million each (Domestic figures) at the box office. So maybe the previews have to be a little more modern for some of our tastes.

And don't forget how many other movies previews have had other odd music choices.

Yes Tyler's music would be fine if you like bland wallpaper scores in your films.

No no, you mistake Tyler's music for being a Media Ventures product. It's different, and not only because Goldsmith and Williams have recommended Tyler to directors to score their films.

OK, I've watched it a few more times. Here's my ammended take:

It is an amateurly-spliced trailer ---- the trailer itself sucks in terms of the pacing, quick cuts etc.

Having said that, the clips that were shown, upon seeing them a few times on the computer and not on TV (airing during the Today Show), do look great and harken back to the old Indy movies. It's gotten me more excited with every viewing, even though I think it's a poorly-edited trailer.

The "damn I thought it was closer" line is cheesy, but yes like the old Indy movies. It seems awkward, though, because the "bad guys" in the truck just sit there while he's saying this loooooooong line. Maybe it will work in the final film.

I liked it. Rather inexplicable to have the Tyler in there....but it gets the job done. The one liner with the truck really gave me a good vibe.

The "damn I thought it was closer" line is cheesy, but yes like the old Indy movies. It seems awkward, though, because the "bad guys" in the truck just sit there while he's saying this loooooooong line. Maybe it will work in the final film.

Spielberg always does that.He often "stretches" time to get a reaction shot even if it's not too realistic in real time.Like those long gaping stares when the characters should be getting the hell out of some place,or in ToD the thuggies just stay the for a few seconds while we get the "gun joke"

Admittedly that line jarred me a lot upon first viewing. It reminds me of that moment in Raiders when the Egyptian labourer lands on the bonet (hood) of the truck and Indy and his Nazi passenger share a humorous, silent moment before Indy wipes the grin off of his companion's face with a swift punch to the face. Something inside me wishes Indy dealt with those ruskies in the same wry way, but after watching the trailer numerous times I think it might just work - within the context of the scene and I'm growing to like it fast.

Spielberg always does that.He often "stretches" time to get a reaction shot even if it's not too realistic in real time.Like those long gaping stares when the characters should be getting the hell out of some place,or in ToD the thuggies just stay the for a few seconds while we get the "gun joke"

It's exactly the reason why I prefer Richard Donner's much more 'natural-like' filmmaking. Sometimes Spielberg just is too 'fake'. Funny that 'the bad guys just sitting there' thing also pointed out to me. Well in an Indy movie maybe these things are not a big deal.

What is good is Indy still seems like Indy after all these years.

I watched The Godfather Part 3 the other day and It felt like Al Pacino was playing a different Michael Corleone altogether.I didn't want to get that feeling

Superb teaser - doesn't give too much away, and gives just a sweet morsel for us to sample.

Could have done with the MV beginning, but it does serve as an interesting contrast.

May 22nd couldn't get here any sooner!

It's exactly the reason why I prefer Richard Donner's much more 'natural-like' filmmaking. Sometimes Spielberg just is too 'fake'. Funny that 'the bad guys just sitting there' thing also pointed out to me. Well in an Indy movie maybe these things are not a big deal.

Donner? Is that a standard a director should aspire to? I mean, I like some of his movies, but.....

not only that.Often in Spielberg films objects like doors don't close as fast as they should to increase the suspense (the door in the Idol Temple ,the spike trap in ToD) .Arrows make exagerrated sounds ,and various objects don't behave like they do in real life in order to make the scene more effective.Sometimes it can be annoying like in War of the worlds where it's meant to look more realistic

Donner gets a bad rap. People speak of him like he's some sort of a hack, but I'll never forget the fact that he made two films which were amongst the dearest to my childhood heart. In fact count that three films since Superman 2 was amazing when I was kid. So he's faded, so what? The man has never made anything utterly trashy and I live in hope that he's got at least one more great movie in him. He's certainly capable, given the right material.

Good teaser. It was far from perfect what with the CG scenes and MV music, but honestly, I couldn't have not liked it. It's Indiana Jones!

saw the trailer in non bootleg quality too :)

Supercool <_<

I'm eager to watch this movie.

About the CGI...I thought they were not going gun-ho with it.

Maybe this is how old school effects would look like if they were still being done (and had improved over time) :)

There were a few scenes in there that looked VERY HEAVY CG......and not in the awesome Lord of the Rings way, but in the horrible Attack of the Clones way.

:rolleyes: , ok its fine not to like the over CGIed look of the prequels.

But please, LOTR has several CGI fails to be called awesome. Very good, yes. Awesome...just some parts.

People will always moan and whine about cgi in something like this when the only thing that really matters is whether the film actually works. The audience will accept EVERYTHING thrown at them as long as they are watching a good film. Try not to lose sight of that fact children.

That's not the point. The point is whether the CG shots in the teaser looked out of place, and to me, they kind of did. But who knows, the film itself may make good use of it.