The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

people, don't go crazy!!!

JW told us that movie is 7 reels long. I believe him since he is deeply involved in filmmaking.

BUT

1 reel is 20min MAX. Maybe here we have 17.5 min per reel and 17.5*7 = 123min.

btw i think we WILL have the final trailer within a week, it's allready too late. Rules of advertisment demand new trailer as soon as possible, Paramount ang Lucas people understand it - they are not fools

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 reel = 20 minutes, right? So 6 reels = 120 minutes and 7 reels = 140 minutes. The (rumoured) real movie length is 123 minutes, which is more than 120 minutes and would thus necessitate an additional reel, making for a total of 7 reels, which is what John Williams said, right?

Other option: John Williams recorded 140 minutes (=7 reels) of music, but that includes the concert suites.

A reel doesn't have to be 20 minutes. I think that's just the maximum. You often get reels shorter than that.

btw i think we WILL have the final trailer within a week, it's allready too late. Rules of advertisment demand new trailer as soon as possible, Paramount ang Lucas people understand it - they are not fools

On the other hand one trailer may be sufficient in this instance. We are talking about Indiana Jones, after all. It's estabished enough, you don't have to go to great lenghts with advertising that. especially is the mystery is really helping to set up the hype.

I'm starting to think that we're not going to get a second trailer at all...maybe just a few more TV spots. The more I think about it, I figure I'm OK with that, too. The movie will be here before we know it. We should all just calm down.

On the other hand one trailer may be sufficient in this instance. We are talking about Indiana Jones, after all. It's estabished enough, you don't have to go to great lenghts with advertising that. especially is the mystery is really helping to set up the hype.

well, if so, it will be the first time in history of BIG budget movies, guiness record :huh:

if we had a time machine and jumped in to the middle of may, we'd sank in the edless trailers, samples and tv-spots of indy. Mark my words. :o

You guys are the most craziest bunch on the net. :o

Really, you do believe we are serious now?

Unless it WAS 140 minutes 2 days ago,and they re-cut it again due to disastrous test screenings ,thus giving Williams score the TPM treatment

Lets hope thats not the case here.

Wow you arent complaining of THAT unfounded speculation? :huh:

I guess Williams scored a 140 minute version of the film and S & L just cut it down.

He said it was 7 reels. As pointed out, even with the film being 123 it would necessitate a 7 reel for at least three minutes worth of film. So therefore, I Williams wasn't lying and I doubt that they would cut nearly 20 minutes off the film after Williams had already scored the film.

Negative insider word of mouth,delayed teaser,no proper trailer. Something is amiss.

As much as I wanna see it, I think it would be pretty funny if they just cancelled the whole thing:

"We thought we made a great movie, but everyone we showed it to said it suxed, so we're just gonna throw it in the bin and forget about it"

No.

Heh, I forgot this is the Academy we're talking about here. Are there any Gustavo Santaoella scores this year?

Interestingly, not according to IMDB. Williams has a chance!

Negative insider word of mouth,delayed teaser,no proper trailer. Something is amiss.

KM the end of the world rests at your feet

1. what negative word of mouth, has anyone actually seen anything of substance

2. the teaser was not delayed

3. the trailer arrives next week

4. nothing is amiss, except your patience

by the way you can see some of the big dance number finale over at www.indianajones.com

also the actual ending it appears it this.

Indy, Marion, and their boy are asleep in their home when outside a mysterious cloud appears in the sky and these lights appear.

The radio comes on as does the tv, Marion rushes down to see her new electric stove on as a bright orange light envelopes the house.

Indy sticks his head through the little doggie door to see whats happening and he gets sucked out, though not before Marion and the boy give a tug at trying to save indy. then the mothership disappears in the atmosphere while you here williams interpolating When you wish upon a star.

I guess Williams scored a 140 minute version of the film and S & L just cut it down.

it is usually done the other way: first SS makes the final cut, then he gives the picture into 4 departments:

1. visual fx(ILM)

2. sound fx

3. JW's music dep.

4. re-recording of voice

the work of these 4 deps costs a lot of money, so they wouldn't just cut 20 mins of it and throw away

producers are able to count money :D

I dont know what world rests at your feet but its different that ours.

1. Even if its false and speculation...its still a little unsettling

2. The teaser was officialy stated for a thanksgiving release. If you cant trust Spielberg and Lucas in this matter, i dont know what sources do you believe.

3. We'll see, dont start speculating.

4. We'll see, when you watch the movie and its as fun (and good) as Last Crusade :D

I've got a feeling that this is gonna be the BEST Indiana Jones movie so far, with maybe the exception of RotLA. Spielberg is a far more accomplished director NOW than he was 20 years ago, IMHO. (Not that he was a slouch back then, God no.)

The trailer and TV spot say nothing: I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas don't want to show the best scenes so early.

The trailer and TV spot say nothing: I'm sure Spielberg and Lucas don't want to show the best scenes so early.

Yeah but there are many unimportant scenes in everymovie to make Teaser and Trailers at their due releasing times.

BTW by Lucasfilm Standards, we should have an teaser and TWO full trailers and it seems we are getting only one of the latter.

I'm not saying i have fears about this movie.

I know i will like it more than many people here.

Yeah but there are many unimportant scenes in everymovie to make Teaser and Trailers at their due releasing times.

BTW by Lucasfilm Standards, we should have an teaser and TWO full trailers and it seems we are getting only one of the latter.

I'm not saying i have fears about this movie.

I know i will like it more than many people here.

I wouldn't say that's cause for concern...

This isn't exactly a George Lucas movie. This is a Spielberg movie... I'm sure HE has the last word on everything these days (unlike 20 years ago).

Why are you guys still complaining about the lack of trailers possibly being because the film is garbage? Spielberg and co. have said dozens of times the reason for a lack of footage released thus far is because awareness is high enough as it is. It's been an intentional move from the beginning, and it's working isn't it? In a lot of ways I hope there isn't a second trailer, because a second trailer will have zero bearing on the number of people seeing this film. They'll either see it or they won't, and they'll make that decision the moment they hear the film is happening. As Spielberg said in his latest interview, he despises trailers that reveal too much, especially from the end of the film, because when you see the film itself, you always have that voice in the back of your head saying "there's still that part in the trailer that needs to happen!" And all that does is distract from the experience of just watching and enjoying the damn film on its own merits. Besides, we all know how the theatrical trailer will work. We'll start off with some spooky music, and someone will be talking about the crystal skull. We'll get some exposition, then intercut it with footage of Mutt and Indy adventuring, a few quips here and there, then a rapid montage of action shots to the beat of 'Desert Chase'. Cue title, then a quick post-title scene with some other quip (ala "Those people were trying to kill us!" "I know dad!" "Well, it's just a new experience for me..." "Happens to me all the time" in the LC theatrical trailer). So, really, does a second trailer have any bearing whatsoever on whether or not people will see this film? NO.

And I congratulate the smart son of a bitch for having the balls not to overhype the garbage out of this film and build expectations like Lucas did to Phantom Menace (to disastrous results). While studios like Fox willingly release every single joke, money shot, action sequence in their films just to get a strong opening weekend, Spielberg realises he's got that guaranteed, but needs strong word of mouth to maintain longetivity. And strong word of mouth only happens when expectations are met. And believe me, expectations are NOT met when every damn surprise and money shot has been revealed before people even walk into theatres. So, seriously, just, chill the hell out!

Spielberg has an old-fashioned view about how to market and promote his films. And that's a great thing, imho. Just read waht he says on the subject matter in that EW.com interview I posted a few days ago:

SPIELBERG: Well, here's my debate on that. I've always been stingy about the scenes I show in a teaser or a trailer. Because my experience has been - and my kids' experience has been, 'cause they talk out loud in theaters, like everybody else does today - that if a scene they remember from the trailer hasn't come on the screen yet, and they're three quarters of the way through the movie, they start talking. ''Oh — I know what's gonna happen! Because there was that one little scene they haven't shown yet in the movie I'm experiencing, and it's coming up!'' And it ruins everything.

The other Indy movies also came out two decades ago, before every last detail could be revealed and scrutinised over the internet, in high definition, frame by frame, on message boards, by internal leaks, etc, etc.

The other Indy movies also came out two decades ago, before every last detail could be revealed and scrutinised over the internet, in high definition, frame by frame, on message boards, by internal leaks, etc, etc.

Most of the sources for this particular movie are the same: Magazines, interviews etc.

But the spoiler leaks are coming from those pricks at CHUD and AICN.

We should be grateful we haven't had more as it is. I mean, within a week, we'll have JW's score leaked online as well.

http://www.aintitcoolnews.com/node/36476

I didn't even read the article, since aparently it contains heavy spoilers, but the so called reliable source calls this the best Indy sequel. I'll also take this with a grain of salt, but it should ease some of the more worried minds around here.

Yes. There are spoilers ahoy in that piece. Read if you dare.

... In fact, I'm beginning to see why they took down the tracklist.

Ted

It's tough to explain. It definitely hits on the Ravenwood controversy (trying to as vague as possible), and also seems to confirm a few other things hinted at in the track titles.

Most of the sources for this particular movie are the same: Magazines, interviews etc.

I think crumbs is referring to the somewhat different landscape for marketing, spoilers, and movie hype. We're in a totally new state were than we were 20 years ago, in spite of the fact that new media (i.e. internet) haven't displaced old media (i.e. magazines, newspapers). It's a different movie culture, simply, and Spielberg is trying to pull off the impossible: Keep positive buzz minimum because you've already got your built-in audience. Then you cash in on the very positive word of mouth. To me, all that we've seen and read these past weeks has indicated to me that Spielberg and co. have great confidence in their movie. As do I.

Ted

I dont know what world rests at your feet but its different that ours.

1. Even if its false and speculation...its still a little unsettling

2. The teaser was officialy stated for a thanksgiving release. If you cant trust Spielberg and Lucas in this matter, i dont know what sources do you believe.

3. We'll see, dont start speculating.

4. We'll see, when you watch the movie and its as fun (and good) as Last Crusade :lol:

if its as fun and as good as LC then I will be sorely disappointed.

Luke you don't understand what I was saying to KM, I don't think you even have a real clue what my first line to him was about.

To me, all that we've seen and read these past weeks has indicated to me that Spielberg and co. have great confidence in their movie. As do I.

Ted

on the other hand Lucas is already warning people that this is going to be like TPM, a hate or love bussiness, because many people will be dissapointed.

Lucas is following suit with this strategy. Part of it may be Menace backlash, but I think it is pretty consistent with what I stated in my post, which is that they are deliberately downplaying the movie.

Ted

look as much as I disrespect Lucas as a director I think he is a fine producer.

He gives Spielberg all the support he needs without being meddlesome.

And Lucas is human afterall, and he's naturally tired of the criticism he deservedly received for the prequels, but in this case he's wrong because I don't think fans and critics have prejudged this film yet.

It is the most anticipated film in several years. It should have a huge opening day, and opening weekend. It will be review proof the opening weekend.

How it does afterwards depends on the quality.

And Lucas is human afterall, and he's naturally tired of the criticism he deservedly received for the prequels, but in this case he's wrong because I don't think fans and critics have prejudged this film yet.

What are the comments 'This movie should never be made' then?

I remember a small uproar when it was announced.

Ooh:

* "The best of the Indy sequels."

* "The film has the strongest supporting cast of the sequels."

* "There are many breakneck set pieces,

with a protracted jungle chase being particularly memorable. As well as being evocative of the truck chase from the first movie."

* "…an ending that any longtime diehard fan of the films could only dream about. Expect a particularly resounding reaction in the theater."

What are the comments 'This movie should never be made' then?

I remember a small uproar when it was announced.

those were before the film was made, once it was started most of us who thought they shouldn't make the film hope that since they were they'd make it as good as possible. you're memory is very selective.