The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

A couple of good quotes there. This is promising. It's not going to be goofy with self-references.

And I just realized that we seem to be without many crucial smilies, unless they still work with code. I need my thumb up smilie.

It's right here.

:mrgreen:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A couple of good quotes there. This is promising. It's not going to be goofy with self-references.

And I just realized that we seem to be without many crucial smilies, unless they still work with code. I need my thumb up smilie.

That's emoticon.

Latest report from Spielbergfilms is that Connery is checking out the script to see if it's good enough for him.

And in related news Koepp is in talks to write Spidey 4.

Latest report from Spielbergfilms is that Connery is checking out the script to see if it's good enough for him.

What? How exactly do they plan to make us believe he is a day older than Harrison Ford?

Makeup, like they did for LC, or Lucas will have ILM CG it. Although it would be funny if Connery looked at the script and said "this is crap, I'm not doing it."

At this point,I hope nothing unforseen prevents the film from beeing made.So there set to shoot,what if Connery says no?I mean then they have to change the script,which took years to approve,then it will be delayed infinetly.

K.M.

Makeup, like they did for LC, or Lucas will have ILM CG it. Although it would be funny if Connery looked at the script and said "this is crap, I'm not doing it."

Well, he did do The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

And he said in the interview that, in essense, that movie single handedly turned him off acting and movies. So perhaps he's learned his lesson.

At this point,I hope nothing unforseen prevents the film from beeing made.So there set to shoot,what if Connery says no?I mean then they have to change the script,which took years to approve,then it will be delayed infinetly.

K.M.

If Connery says no, then that means the film really wouldn't have been good at all, and we would be glad they're reworking it.

And he said in the interview that, in essense, that movie single handedly turned him off acting and movies. So perhaps he's learned his lesson.

Even though the film was crap, I think Connery's problem had more to do with the director, who clashed with him constantly.

True enough. God knows what a good director might have done with that excellent material.

That's been said about many a film around these parts.

To be faithful to it might have been a good start.

:unsure:

Yeah like that would happen in Hollywood.

I personally don't really see any need to have Sean Connery in Indy IV. I liked him a lot in The Last Crusade, but I think they can make a better Indy IV without relying on the past too much. The only character I really want to see make a return, apart from Indy himself, is Sallah. I would also like to see Marcus Brody again, but Denholm Elliott died, so that wouldn't work. I don't think that having Henry Jones, Marion, Short Round and Willie Scott in the fourth film is going to make it a much better film. They'd probably all have little cameos that don't have much to do with the story. Although it would be great if they could bring in these characters into the story in a believable way that really contributes to the story. Still I'm very much looking forward to Indiana Jones IV.

True enough. God knows what a good director might have done with that excellent material.

League is a curious project. It has literallty nothing to do with the original comic book. Just like The Lost World, which was even weirder adaptation.

Karol, sorry for Alan Moore.

I've heard Koepp explain why they made the changes to Lost World but I've still never heard why LXG was changed so radically when they could have used the infinitely better first volume.

League is a curious project. It has literallty nothing to do with the original comic book. Just like The Lost World, which was even weirder adaptation.

Thats not the only time that Moore been screwed over by the film industry. He's been put off so much by hollywood that he refused to endorse V for Vendetta, which was actually a good film.

The reason for the actors returning should be continuity and story relevance.

There are two bad situations that could happen: A) A half-baked "Oh, Dad's out of the country because Sean Connery wouldn't go for the script" excuse for the character to be absent--or worse yet, with no reference (Sallah worked in TOD because he wasn't in the area, and there was no reason for Indy to sit by the fire saying, "I wonder what Sallah's doing right now..."). Not cool. Sequels constantly disregard continuity, often after setting up characters as being major in the first film ("Oh yeah, I love Vicki, and I told her I'm Batman and...why is she missing? Uh..."). It's retarded, and I hate it. B) A character is brought in, not because it makes sense for him to be in this story instead of disappearing pointlessly, but because "Oh, wouldn't it be funny if that character was there? Hee hee, let's find some hokey, bogus reason for him to come in, hee hee!" Also terrible and goofy.

Now, what should happen, is we see how Indy and father are doing in real life. If there wasn't a fourth movie, there would be no need, but there is. If Henry is relevant to the remainder of the story, he should be there. If not, then handle him appropriately. The fan script "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Moses" had a good way of handling it--Henry's in the hospital, and he essentially sends Indy out on an adventure with his blessings and a warning. If none of this applies, then unless something else works, then Henry should be dead, along with Marcus. Now Indy has lost his father and his mentor. It's essentially down to him and his peers. Interesting setting to move forward in. But I wouldn't mind seeing Henry again. Whatever works best.

Thats not the only time that Moore been screwed over by the film industry. He's been put off so much by hollywood that he refused to endorse V for Vendetta, which was actually a good film.

He is just in general against his films being adapted. IIRC, he didn't endorse From Hell either, another good movie.

...where no good deed goes unpunished.

Hey, I didn't know you where into musicals, too.

I've heard Koepp explain why they made the changes to Lost World

Would you still have a link to that?

Thats not to say that a movie based on a book has to be faithful to be good. Just look at Batman Returns, which a fantastic movie, but a bad Batman movie.

Thats not to say that a movie based on a book has to be faithful to be good. Just look at Batman Returns, which a fantastic movie, but a bad Batman movie.

So you really mean its a fantastic and bat movie?

I've heard Koepp explain why they made the changes to Lost World

Would you still have a link to that?

Heard it in person

There are two bad situations that could happen: A) A half-baked "Oh, Dad's out of the country because Sean Connery wouldn't go for the script" excuse for the character to be absent--or worse yet, with no reference (Sallah worked in TOD because he wasn't in the area, and there was no reason for Indy to sit by the fire saying, "I wonder what Sallah's doing right now..."). Not cool. Sequels constantly disregard continuity, often after setting up characters as being major in the first film ("Oh yeah, I love Vicki, and I told her I'm Batman and...why is she missing? Uh..."). It's retarded, and I hate it. B) A character is brought in, not because it makes sense for him to be in this story instead of disappearing pointlessly, but because "Oh, wouldn't it be funny if that character was there? Hee hee, let's find some hokey, bogus reason for him to come in, hee hee!" Also terrible and goofy.

Now, what should happen, is we see how Indy and father are doing in real life. If there wasn't a fourth movie, there would be no need, but there is. If Henry is relevant to the remainder of the story, he should be there. If not, then handle him appropriately. The fan script "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Moses" had a good way of handling it--Henry's in the hospital, and he essentially sends Indy out on an adventure with his blessings and a warning. If none of this applies, then unless something else works, then Henry should be dead, along with Marcus. Now Indy has lost his father and his mentor. It's essentially down to him and his peers. Interesting setting to move forward in. But I wouldn't mind seeing Henry again. Whatever works best.

Henry, Sr. (if Connery doesn't approve) is dead. Sallah is back in Egypt, tending to his family.

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me. Does every character-to-character relationship have to be spelled out? Fifteen years or so pass between Last Crusade and this one; a lot could happen. I guess, if you actually keep up with the comic book/game continuity, a lot does happen. Sallah's a relic from the past. Can't we have some new characters and plots for once?

So you really mean its a fantastic and bat movie?

I meant that Batman Returns is a bad Batman adaptation, but a great film nonetheless.

Henry, Sr. (if Connery doesn't approve) is dead. Sallah is back in Egypt, tending to his family.

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me. Does every character-to-character relationship have to be spelled out? Fifteen years or so pass between Last Crusade and this one; a lot could happen. I guess, if you actually keep up with the comic book/game continuity, a lot does happen. Sallah's a relic from the past. Can't we have some new characters and plots for once?

Right. That makes perfect sense. I'm just hoping they don't go with some cheesy thing about Henry just not being around. You've got it. No Connery? Henry's dead. Really I don't anticipate that--I was more venting within an appropos topic. But you've got it--the bottom line is if you can't come up with a good reason for them being there, then there are plenty of good reasons for them not to be there--don't crap it up.

I would like to see Sallah considering this is going to be the last one...I think.

I really doubt they would write in Henry Sr. if Connery hadn't agreed to it already. It has to be that either he isn't in the script, or he is and we just haven't heard official word from Connery yet. I seriously doubt they would go to all this trouble polishing the script with Henry in it if Connery wasn't completely willing.

This thinking almost leads me to believe that Henry won't be in it. :eek: But hey, we'll see.

I know Lucas likes to bring all these characters together, but TOD functioned just fine without any previous characters being included. I'm sure it wouldn't kill IJ IV if it was just Indy and a new cast of characters.

The fan script "Indiana Jones and the Staff of Moses"

Indy already found that staff in a book. :eek:

And it was Aaron's staff. (his brother) Even if moses used it, it was aaron who gave it to him. remember moses told aaron to use his staff in the pharaoh's magicians snakes...

Indy already found that staff in a book. :P

Which one was that?

I actually think that would be pretty cool in a film. Imagine Indy dropping the staff and it turning into a snake! ;)

EDIT: I would make a new post, but I know that's frowned upon and they would probably be merged anyway. Oh well, consider this a new post:

Looks like there may be hope for Connery yet:

Story at IGN

&

scotsman.com

I particularly enjoyed this quote in the latter article:

There are only 14 years between them - Ford is 64 and Connery 76 - but that was part of the charm.

^_^

Indy already found that staff in a book. :huh:

And it was Aaron's staff. (his brother) Even if moses used it, it was aaron who gave it to him. remember moses told aaron to use his staff in the pharaoh's magicians snakes...

I know that, and you know that, but I don't think the writer(s) knew that. ;)

Indy already found that staff in a book. :huh:

I know that, and you know that, but I don't think the writer(s) knew that. ;)

amateurs ;)

I think David Koepp is worse than Lucas at writing dialogue. His scripts for Spielberg have very un-natural sentences. I really hope the script doesn't matter too much due to the collaboration between Spielberg and Lucas.

I think David Koepp is worse than Lucas at writing dialogue. His scripts for Spielberg have very un-natural sentences. I really hope the script doesn't matter too much due to the collaboration between Spielberg and Lucas.

Koepp's work can be lame at times, but that's really harsh.

Yeah, The Lost World is a really good script.

The dialogue flows naturally ("let's get this movable feast on the way!"), the gags are organic to the story (Vince Vaughn's "Come on, guys, let's get the hell out of here" after Ludlow's attempt at getting the group of mercenaries to move), the conflicts are well resolved ("you say they kicked you out the gymnastics team?") and the characters are fascinating (Dieter Stark for instance).

I think Koepp was secretly trying to make the first Jurassic Park look like a masterpiece.

Yeah, The Lost World is a really good script.

The dialogue flows naturally ("let's get this movable feast on the way!"), the gags are organic to the story (Vince Vaughn's "Come on, guys, let's get the hell out of here" after Ludlow's attempt at getting the group of mercenaries to move), the conflicts are well resolved ("you say they kicked you out the gymnastics team?") and the characters are fascinating (Dieter Stark for instance).

I think Koepp was secretly trying to make the first Jurassic Park look like a masterpiece.

IMO The Lost World's script is the worst element of a film where everything (apart from the score) is painfully bad. ;)

:huh: James Bond Suite (John Barry, RPO)