The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

I think Davy Jones was slightly lost on me because I knew his face was cgi. Amazing effects ruined by lack of immersion.

I think in that you are in the relative minority. Even the most CG-savy people I know were sure that it was a makeup/CG combo, not all CG.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you, yes. I had an easier time accepting Davy Jones than I did accepting Gollum. I love very facet of Davy Jones- the character, the actor, the performance, the story, the dialogue, the design, the CG.

Of course, that's not saying anything about Gollum, as he had the disadvantage of being a superb part of a very good film, as opposed to Davy Jones, who was (for me) the only superb part of a subpar film. Without him, the film would be absolutely dreadful.

Yeah, Davy Jones was pretty much the best thing in Dead Man's Chest, and I liked the film. There are a few scenes that I swear aren't CG. The best CG characters of all time:

1) Davy Jones

2) Gollum

3) King Kong

4) T-Rex (first Jurassic Park)

5) Yoda (Revenge of the Sith)

I think there were better CG creatures in the SW prequels than Yoda. I think the problem with Yoda is that we're so used to the puppet, no matter how good it becomes, you're always going to be thinking about the puppet. You don't have that with any of the other creatures (like the Kaminoans or Grievous), so there's a far smaller frame of reference, so you're far quicker to accept the creature as a living, breathing character.

It's kind of the same reason why E.T. didn't need any enhancing. There's no real reference for a creature like E.T., so all the little quirks that came from the animatronic just became part of the character to the audience. And all the scenes with the animatronic worked so well (for a variety of reasons), you're never even really bothered that you're watching a puppet.

I think there were better CG creatures in the SW prequels than Yoda. I think the problem with Yoda is that we're so used to the puppet, no matter how good it becomes, you're always going to be thinking about the puppet. You don't have that with any of the other creatures (like the Kaminoans or Grievous), so there's a far smaller frame of reference, so you're far quicker to accept the creature as a living, breathing character.

It's kind of the same reason why E.T. didn't need any enhancing. There's no real reference for a creature like E.T., so all the little quirks that came from the animatronic just became part of the character to the audience. And all the scenes with the animatronic worked so well (for a variety of reasons), you're never even really bothered that you're watching a puppet.

Which is why I put it in last place. I've said it before and I'll say it again, Yoda in his puppet form was genius and honestly the best acted role in the entire saga.

I probably should've put Hulk last. :(

You are indeed deserving of your moderator status.

I will agree Davy Jones has some of the most convincing CGI I've seen in awhile.

I think Davy Jones was slightly lost on me because I knew his face was cgi. Amazing effects ruined by lack of immersion.

I think in that you are in the relative minority. Even the most CG-savy people I know were sure that it was a makeup/CG combo, not all CG.

You mean that people thought it was not CGI at times (when it always was), right?

For me, sorry but Gollum fails when he doesnt interact with his enviroment.

King kong is amazing, though :(

I think Davy Jones was slightly lost on me because I knew his face was cgi. Amazing effects ruined by lack of immersion....

It is very obvious to tell that it was CGI...

I don't think it is. You can tell it's an effect, since there aren't any real-life squid-faced actors on this planet (not that I know of, anyway), so right away you assume there's some trickery involved. But what exactly they did and where the blends are is nearly impossible to tell - the hallmark of great eye-popping effects work.

I don't think it is. You can tell it's an effect, since there aren't any real-life squid-faced actors on this planet (not that I know of, anyway), so right away you assume there's some trickery involved. But what exactly they did and where the blends are is nearly impossible to tell - the hallmark of great eye-popping effects work.

There are no blends at all. Its all CGI (not that i noticed either...)

The director wanted the eyes real, thus the make up on the actor but in the end he was so impressed with ILM eye work that they did him completely digital.

As told somewhere here (if i remember correctly): ILM

Hah!

The MOVIEmeter from IMDB went down 25% since last week for Indy IV.

I'll bet you anything he'll be cast as Indiana's son.

I agree.He's on SNL now and he kind of looks like a teenage Harrison Ford

I guess that why they picked him to act in the Indiana Jones IV, if he has been offered...

Hah!

The MOVIEmeter from IMDB went down 25% since last week for Indy IV.

I'll bet you anything he'll be cast as Indiana's son.

I agree.He's on SNL now and he kind of looks like a teenage Harrison Ford

I guess that why they picked him to act in the Indiana Jones IV, if he has been offered...

According to the E! network, LaBeouf has been confirmed! Just how reliable is this "update" from E! though?

Fine then you poop heads! Don't reply to a thing I post. I don't care anymore! As far as I'm concerned, we're through!!!! All I need is my bong. My bong is my only friend!

And P.S: I faked every orgasm.

According to the E! network, LaBeouf has been confirmed! Just how reliable is this "update" from E! though?

Er, did you guys read my post above? The one that has the article that he's officially signed?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, the ewok movies are great... for kids. I loved Battle for Endor, and still have a soft spot for it. Although I always thought Ewok Adventure was a bit boring.

I found and watched a copy of the Christmas special online once. Ouch. Star Wars meets Willy Wonka meets Broadway.

How was he capable of something so atrocious in his prime?! Attack of the Clones was bad, but a masterpiece compared to that special - which is definitely not special in any way. Give me Jar Jar and wooden dialogue any day.

Anyway, this maybe explains the 'two movie' thing: TheForce.net - 2, Hour Long Live Action Movies For TV?!?

Considering the live action TV series is supposed to be made up of hour-long episodes these hardly seem like "movies". It didn't directly quote Lucas, so I assume the person misinterperated what he said and maybe what was actually meant was 2 seperate live action series' of hour long episodes...or 2 1 hour long tv pilot episodes.

is this the Indy 4 thread or the new star wars thread??? hmmm

well thats best because we'd have people talk about 5 films that are definately not named Star Wars

Plus it gets talked about enough everywhere else, so there's no point to really make a whole thread devoted to it. And besides, it would probably get locked anyway.

I don't think we will hear anything new for Indy IV for a while until they start production on July 18, 2007 maybe. Although the latest relevant source on the net say that Steven Spielberg thinks they can keep it as a whole secret for Indy IV even though Lucas doesn't agree with that considering it's impossible nowadays.

I don't see the point trying to keep it as a secret considering sooner or later they're going to reveal it anyway once they released the film...or a hint from the trailers on what it going to be about...

I don't see the point trying to keep it as a secret considering sooner or later they're going to reveal it anyway once they released the film...or a hint from the trailers on what it going to be about...

Yeah, I wonder why Spielberg didn't thought of that first.

Why don't we just go ahead and post the whole script on line and not even have worry about the first trailer, which is probably months away.

Somehow, I doubt that the New Haven Register has the inside dope on Connery's casting. I'm sure some reporter did some research online and printed the rumor.

Yes, this still seems to be the latest on Connery. He says that "they're still working on it." If he indeed means the script, which we know was done months ago, I figure this means they may be doing rewrites for Connery. But hey, whatever works. Just get him in this film!