The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More official news:

Indy IV Winding Down- Spielberg himself offers production scoops.

On Tuesday, October 9, 2007, IGN visited Universal Studios in Hollywood, Calif. for a conversation with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull director Steven Spielberg. The filmmaker spoke briefly to journalists about the production, which he said was two days away from completion, and offered a few insights about the methods by which the film was shot.

According to Spielberg, he is shooting Indy IV on film instead of using digital video, despite producer George Lucas' encouragement to use the newer technology. The reason for this, Spielberg said, was because he wanted the film to remain true not only to its predecessors in the series but also to the original serials which inspired Indiana Jones' initial creation. Additionally, he said that the effects work was approximately 70 percent practical and 30 percent CGI, although the computer-generated work will be obvious (presumably backdrops and large set pieces).

Spielberg also confirmed that the Russians are the villains in The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, which he said is accurate given the film's 1950s time period. He said that from the film's opening shot you can immediately tell who these villains are and why.

When asked about actor Shia LaBeouf taking over the mantle of action hero from his co-star Harrison Ford, Spielberg coyly said that LaBeouf has a lot of big things in his future. At the same time, he indicated that LaBeouf has to make multiple Tranformers movies before he can move over and take on the fedora and bullwhip of Indiana Jones.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/826/826026p1.html

“Is Drew returning for the poster?” Without missing a beat Spielberg said without a doubt. He said he can’t make an INDIANA JONES movie without John Williams’ score, he can’t make one without Michael Kahn editing and it wouldn’t be an INDIANA JONES movie if Drew Struzan didn’t do the poster art.

Well, Douglas Slocombe did the cinematography on the first three. I'm confident that Spielberg will give Kaminski good direction on keeping the look pretty much in line with the previous films--not only the fact that they're using film.

According to Spielberg, he is shooting Indy IV on film instead of using digital video, despite producer George Lucas' encouragement to use the newer technology. The reason for this, Spielberg said, was because he wanted the film to remain true not only to its predecessors in the series but also to the original serials which inspired Indiana Jones' initial creation. Additionally, he said that the effects work was approximately 70 percent practical and 30 percent CGI, although the computer-generated work will be obvious (presumably backdrops and large set pieces).

And this is why I have faith in the production. Thank you for keeping it grounded, Spielberg!

Ray Barnsbury

“Is Drew returning for the poster?” Without missing a beat Spielberg said without a doubt. He said he can’t make an INDIANA JONES movie without John Williams’ score, he can’t make one without Michael Kahn editing and it wouldn’t be an INDIANA JONES movie if Drew Struzan didn’t do the poster art.

Yay, yay and YAY!

Though...he did forgot amsels work on Raiders :)

Well, at least all three movies have been posterized by Struzan...

raiders3.jpg

Additionally, he said that the effects work was approximately 70 percent practical and 30 percent CGI, although the computer-generated work will be obvious (presumably backdrops and large set pieces).

Wait, that sounds like a bad thing...

Yeah, especially since there are absolutely no obvious effects in TLC. The airplane sequence: totally convincing. Wouldn't be able to see any blue screen effects used there. The tank diving of the cliff: another flawless effect. Totally not obvious.

Oh, and Indy and the gang sailing that rubber boat of the mountain in TOD: why can't they make effects like that anymore...?

Darn CGI... :rolleyes:

The only unconvincing effect I remember from Temple of Doom is the explosion of the plane. And some minor matte lines. The rubber boat sequence in general? Awesome.

Yeah, especially since there are absolutely no obvious effects in TLC. The airplane sequence: totally convincing. Wouldn't be able to see any blue screen effects used there. The tank diving of the cliff: another flawless effect. Totally not obvious.

Oh, and Indy and the gang sailing that rubber boat of the mountain in TOD: why can't they make effects like that anymore...?

Darn CGI... :rolleyes:

Nice to see you again Roald, always such a pleasant poster. :rolleyes:

And some minor matte lines

Stating that the matte lines are minor is like saying that the CGI animation in Sound Of Thunder is spectacular....

:rolleyes:

Great news. I'm looking forward to the poster almost as much as the score and film themselves.

And some minor matte lines

Stating that the matte lines are minor is like saying that the CGI animation in Sound Of Thunder is spectacular....

:rolleyes:

it was Roald, it was spectacularly bad!!!

but yet I liked the movie, I did, I admit it, guilty pleasure, whatever, I liked it.

The only unconvincing effect I remember from Temple of Doom is the explosion of the plane. And some minor matte lines. The rubber boat sequence in general? Awesome.

The miniatures and especially stunt doubles are pretty obvious in that scene, though.

I'm looking forward to the make-up most of all. Then movie, then lighting, then score.

Ray Barnsbury

Well call me crazy but I'm all in a tizzy over that editing.

heck, i was joking...no pun intended

Woops; sorry. Hadn't caught that. :rolleyes:

There is some worthwhile stuff in the various set reports shown on this page:

http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_indy4.php?id=339

It also includes information on the future Steven Spielberg Tin Tin project. Sounds good. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to the make-up most of all. Then movie, then lighting, then score.

Ray Barnsbury

Well call me crazy but I'm all in a tizzy over that editing.

1. Movie

2. Score

3. Acting

4. Special Effects

Please. Everyone knows that the backbone of any good film production is the extras and their extraordinary acting.

Wasn't the Raiders posterart done by someone else?

Also, the Last Crusade poster really is not that good.

Do you really read my posts...or simply skip them? :)

Amsel did the Raiders posters (at least the most famous ones). I dont know who this this one or the TOD one used in the

soundtrack:

1981enbuscadelarca.jpg

Struzan did the 10 annyversary re-release poster, BTW.

Both artists were great.

Do you like this Crusade Poster more?

712Indiana_Jones_y_la_ltima_cruz-1.jpg

Someone convince me that Indiana Jones scores will be re-released. I was talking with my brother and he's positive it won't happen. I'm quick to disagree, but it still gets to me that there may be a chance of it not happening.

When were the original Star Wars re-released as SE? Was it in 1999, with the making of TPM, I don't rembember. I really really hope so, but something inside me says they won't. Although some guy (I forget who) did say that they were stocking up on Indiana Jones merchandise, perhaps the complete soundtracks are included.

When were the original Star Wars re-released as SE? Was it in 1999, with the making of TPM, I don't rembember.

No the original SE issue was '97 when the SE version of the films were made. Then they were rereleased by Sony in '04 I think, together with the first DVD release of the OT.

You would think Paramount or Lucasfilm would not let such a brilliant marketing opportunity slip, right?

On the other hand, they might feel that releassing 3 Indiana Jones scores around the same time a brand new one is being released would confuse customers, and saturate the market.

You would think Paramount or Lucasfilm would not let such a brilliant marketing opportunity slip, right?

A better opportunity would have been with the release of the box set trilogy, like when E.T. was remastered w/ the arrival of the new DVD.

A better opportunity would have been with the release of the box set trilogy, like when E.T. was remastered w/ the arrival of the new DVD.

No, E.T. was not remastered with the DVD release. It was remastered for the 20th Anniversary of the film and the rerelease of that film in theatres worldwide.

I would imagine that Redman and Matessino would be fighting to release them somewhere in the Indy IV rush, if they aren't already. Whether or not they'll be successful...

True. Are there other particular people of similar standing who have mentioned a desire for that? I know Matessino has. If enough people of clout push for it, this could stand a better chance. Heck, Intrada got Paramount to let them release The Monster Squad. Who knows?