The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See new Q&A with Shia Leboeuf talking about Indy 4 (spoilers):

http://movies.ign.com/articles/847/847209p1.html

Btw do we realize at this time John Williams is probably one of three people or so who have seen (the rough cut of) the movie? Seems Spielberg keeps thinks secret anxiously.

indianajoneminifig.jpg

I know the sets have been posted before, but I don't think a close up of the actual figure has.

Yes, yes. But will you be buying into Taters of the Lost Ark?

lltatersxlarge.jpg

Ray, that was quite funny, but I'm too depressed over the fact that there's going to be a Transformers 2 to laugh.

You just have to try and keep smiling through such bleak tribulations.

IGN: Is there any truth to you continuing the Indy franchise on your own?

LaBeouf: Am I into it? Who wouldn't be? I don't think that's reality. It's a fun rumor.

Well, at least THAT is a relief. :spiny:

Yes, yes. But will you be buying into Taters of the Lost Ark?

lltatersxlarge.jpg

Oh good lord, they are making every damn thing out of Mr. Potato Head.

All that's missing is Clovertater.

I talked to Conrad Pope last week and he said the music is written in the exact same style as the previous Indys. Very cartoonish (*not* mickey-mousing though!): lots of things happening in the score, quick licks in the woodwinds, etc... It really sounds like this Indy is going to be... a pure Indy film (at least in a musical sense ;)).

As a side note, we were looking at doing a recording session the first week of March in LA but it looks like there's a major hold for John Williams. Looks like all of LA's best players are on hold. Not sure if the recording is at the end of February and could go on for a little longer, or if it starts the second week of March and they wanted to have a few extra days before that just in case.

Anyway... I'm getting really excited.

I am SO excited about this film and score, I'm almost embarassed. My opera premieres just a couple of weeks ahead of Indy4, but truth be told, I am much more interested in this!

And I am unsurprised to hear that Williams has chosen to stick to the style established in the first three films, considering Spielberg seems to opt for a similar approach.

But I'm sure Wiliams has had tons of fun writing this, and that I'll be blown away!

And perhaps those claiming there's been a decline in Williams' writing (becuse they cannot shake their own nostalgia for his 70's 80's style) will be forced to eat their fedoras...

Here's hoping! ;)

I talked to Conrad Pope last week and he said the music is written in the exact same style as the previous Indys. Very cartoonish (*not* mickey-mousing though!): lots of things happening in the score, quick licks in the woodwinds, etc... It really sounds like this Indy is going to be... a pure Indy film (at least in a musical sense ;)).

As a side note, we were looking at doing a recording session the first week of March in LA but it looks like there's a major hold for John Williams. Looks like all of LA's best players are on hold. Not sure if the recording is at the end of February and could go on for a little longer, or if it starts the second week of March and they wanted to have a few extra days before that just in case.

Always nice to have a mole. Now if you can sneak in there with a mic, Hellgi... :)

Oh, man, this is fantastic! Every time KOTCS slips under the radar for me, something new pops up to get the excitement up again! Thanks for the heads up!

I talked to Conrad Pope last week and he said the music is written in the exact same style as the previous Indys. Very cartoonish (*not* mickey-mousing though!): lots of things happening in the score, quick licks in the woodwinds, etc... It really sounds like this Indy is going to be... a pure Indy film (at least in a musical sense ;) ).

Thanks for the news, Hellgi. Quite exciting indeed.

Thanks for the information, Hellgi! I was wondering if you could clarify one thing though: What do you mean by "major hold." I think I generally followed what you were saying about the delay, but I'm not sure what meant in terms of why things are held up. Do you think they'll be recording in March instead?

Ted

Yes, I think it's just in case they need more recording time for whatever reason.

What I love about this, is that when JW puts a hold on players, then you're basically screwed because he gets the best 100-or-so players in LA. So don't even think of recording at the same time, ah ah!

H.

Ah, thanks for the info, Hellgi, I'm even more super excited now!!

And perhaps those claiming there's been a decline in Williams' writing (becuse they cannot shake their own nostalgia for his 70's 80's style) will be forced to eat their fedoras...

Amen to that!

By the way, on a totally unrelated note, it's Lego's 50th Anniversary. I know this has little to do with Indy 4, but as a pic of Lego Indy was posted, and it doesn't deserve an entire thread, I might as well post it here.

indy4 - who wouldn't have known were it not for this: lego08.gif

Good news indeed. If I were to guess I'd say it will be closest to Raiders.

I hope it's closer to TOD - would love to hear JW be lively again after all this time.

I predicted it would be like that.

Spielberg would simply go back to a more 80's type of film,including the music,and not attempt to make Williams sound more contemporary(like Chase through Coruscant)or subdued because of fears Williams music is outdated or current trends in scoring

I think it's better to let Williams loose this time.

By the way, on a totally unrelated note, it's Lego's 50th Anniversary. I know this has little to do with Indy 4, but as a pic of Lego Indy was posted, and it doesn't deserve an entire thread, I might as well post it here.

indy4 - who wouldn't have known were it not for this: lego08.gif

It's actually the 50th Anniversary of the plastic LEGO brick. LEGO as a Company is over 75 years old

this is the best news I've heard about the films since I heard Spielberg told Kaminski he could not shoot the film his way, it had to be shot like he was Douglas Slocombe. It will be his most beautifully shot film since his beatiful B&W for Schindler's

Isn't all this imitation of the past like trying to reanimate a corpse? Instead of riding on endless waves of nostalgia, oughtn't we forge ahead into the wondrous and mysterious future of film making, building upon but not with the tools of the past?

Wait, I can answer my own question: HELL NO!

I don't think it ever says they're just for Raiders, I think they're just Indy toys. Still, if they're going to include small bits from other movies, they should have had a character like Dr. Jones instead of a random, nameless extra who gets shot within a couple waves of his sword.

Yes, but if they're going to have bits a pieces of props from other scenes (and even other movies), they shouldn't have all the actual figures be from one scene. Perhaps they aren't allowed to put a swastica on a childrens' toys, though.

I don't think it ever says they're just for Raiders, I think they're just Indy toys. Still, if they're going to include small bits from other movies, they should have had a character like Dr. Jones instead of a random, nameless extra who gets shot within a couple waves of his sword.

The Indiana Jones line is being handled by the same design team that works on the Star Wars line. As a result I think you can expect a good variety of main and (interesting) background characters throughout the line.

Hmm, interesting. (A titillating new pic included!)

I know there's a camp here which didn't like the jokey nature of the third film (I for one loved the lightness of tone) and a few here will likely moan and winge at this news, but I say bring the breeziness back again, I welcome it!

Indy + bazooka= superb comedy opportunity. ROTFLMAO

And, from the article, for those paranoid about last second editing:

"This picture is locked," Marshall told us of the current progress. "Steven's pretty much done editing. And we're going into the phase with John Williams where he starts scoring the movie. He's really writing now and then we'll start scoring in February".

I know there's a camp here which didn't like the jokey nature of the third film (I for one loved the lightness of tone) and a few here will likely moan and winge at this news, but I say bring the breeziness back again, I welcome it!

Well, that's what I'm expecting. I bet Spielberg, Ford & Lucas wanted to make a light-hearted, funny and escapist movie as The Last Crusade was. Of course I would prefer a Raiders-like film, but I'm quite sure that a movie like Raiders is somewhat a one-time wonder.

Personally, I do not have the highest expectations on this film. I just hope it will be fun, full of great action sequences and with a pretty decent script that will sustain the drama on the whole duration. The only thing I'm sure is that John Williams will deliver a dynamite score ROTFLMAO

Well, that's what I'm expecting. I bet Spielberg, Ford & Lucas wanted to make a light-hearted, funny and escapist movie as The Last Crusade was. Of course I would prefer a Raiders-like film, but I'm quite sure that a movie like Raiders is somewhat a one-time wonder.

Personally, I do not have the highest expectations on this film. I just hope it will be fun, full of great action sequences and with a pretty decent script that will sustain the drama on the whole duration. The only thing I'm sure is that John Williams will deliver a dynamite score ROTFLMAO

Nice observations. I, too, was hoping for a film more in the spirit of "Raiders," but somehow i've always known that "Raiders" is a film that will never be approached by anything Spielberg or anyone else does in related filmmaking. It just can't be duplicated. It's pure cinema, nearly perfect in movement, sound, and composition. While I appreciate "Last Crusade" for what it is, I think it really steered away from the adventure aspects that makes these films so special. While everything we know about the film so far indicates that it will be closer in spirit to LC, I am encouraged by the images of caverns, temples, and torches. That's what I want to see more of, and I'm hoping Spielberg can deliver a taught adventure with charm and humor, yes, but also (and more importantly) that sense of red-blooded adventure that was missing from LC.

Ted

I've never understood the apparent dislike of Crusade. The AICN talkback on this article is doom mongering as expected. The coming of the Four Horses Of the Apocalypse may as well be near as far as that heady bunch of film 'enthusiasts' are concerned. Idiots.

Raiders is classic, but to me so is Temple and so is Crusade. They each have there own contrasting, yet familiar tones and if Marshall's comments indicate that we should expect something along the lines of the third movie then I don't see the problem. I'll be freaking celebrating come May 22nd if the fourth film is at least as good as the third and why wouldn't I be? That means I'll be going on a rollicking comedy adventure with the sort of character banter that the Rush Hour movies can only dream of. So it may not have the slightly more serious (according to some) lets get down to business feel of Raiders? Well so what, the style of Crusade more than had it's fair share of assets in terms of what these films are all about: Popcorn cinema and the epitome of it. Let's not forget that these films, for all their rabid fandom are actually just extremely well crafted summer movies and nothing more. The fact that they have passed into the realms of movie legend is just sheer happy coincidence.

The Last Crusade was and remains a great adventure movie with some wonderful chemistry and witty, touching dialogue. Films of today would kill for it's magical ingredients, since pretty much everything thesedays simply pales in comparison. 'High Concept' action adventure of today isn't fit to sniff Indy and Henry's crap. If Indy IV touches anywhere near upon what Indy III did then we are in for a proper summer movie once again and at long last. May 22nd can't come soon enough.

Well, Last Crusade is pretty good. It's just not great. Moments like these drag it down:

INDY: Call Donovan, Marcus. Tell him I'll take that ticket to Venice now.

BRODY: I'll tell him we'll take two.

*dramatic music swells*