The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Donner gets a bad rap. People speak of him like he's some sort of a hack, but I'll never forget the fact that he made two films which were amongst the dearest to my childhood heart. In fact count that three films since Superman 2 was amazing when I was kid. So he's faded, so what? The man has never made anything utterly trashy and I live in hope that he's got at least one more great movie in him. He's certainly capable, given the right material.

First of all, the man has made some utter trash. Second of all, I do like some of his films (Maverick, Superman, a couple of the Lethal Weapons, The Omen (for all it's goofiness), and some of Concpircay Theory). But he has very little personality. The only way to judge him is on a film-by-film basis. I don't think he's made any great movies, and the good ones are not ones that couldn't have been made by coutless other solid-but-unspectacular directors. Identity is a must for a director in my book, and he hasn't got it.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That, I'm sorry, but that looked incredibly lame.

The only highlight was the putting on the hat shadow shot...which was also..very cliche.

As for the FX, I wouldn't worry yet, I'm 100% sure the film hasn't gone through timing and other post-processing yet.

We weren't talking about a film. We were talking about a director. That is precisely why I said I can like him on a film by film basis, but not necasserily care for him as a director.

We have to keep in mind that this trailer is being marketed to the masses - show some bang and pizazz and get the people's attention, that's the goal of this thing.

Oh yes.....I have just seen teaser trailer and am smiling like a dog in a hub-cap factory......

Yeah, ok, nothing particularly spectacular but the momet for me was the attempted swing on to the back of a truck....

"Damn, I thought that was closer!" Ha! I love that! Classic Indy sequence.

The rest was good too. It did everything the teaser needed to do. I'm scaring myself with how much I'm looking forward to this now.

Oh my God, that was FANTASTIC!!!

While the MV score in the beggining was a bit too dramatic for Indy IMO, it really really picked up when the Raiders March began. After that, I loved every second of it. The scene in the warehouse looks like the classic Indy scene, I expect it will be as good as the tank scene in LC or the Desert Chase in Raiders. And the "I thought that was closer!" was hilarious. That scene where Indy puts his hat on and you see his shadow with the hat gave me shivers, so perfect!! Wow, I am soooooo EXCITED, or my username isn't Indy4!!!

I couldn't wait so I watched it, love the line, are you a teacher, and Indy says part time.

no one does fun action and adventure like Spielberg

Mmm...yeah. John Williams score for Indy IV will be much better then the music you heard in the teaser trailer for sure. Good teaser. Looking forward May 22. Although the only big different in this new Indy movie is Indy old age especially the sound of his voice, which everyone was expected. Still I think it be another great adventure movie to watch.

The rest was good too. It did everything the teaser needed to do. I'm scaring myself with how much I'm looking forward to this now.

Do I need to bring a tranquilizer on March 7th?

Do I need to bring a tranquilizer on March 7th?

<_<

I think I'll be all right then. But I don't know if the Indy concert in May is before or after the movie comes out, better have one on standby then.

I also love the following bit where he elbows the Nazis. It does have a bit of the vibe from Raiders where Indy knocks a motorbike with the truck with a smirk on his face.

Given previous episodes where mass hysteria ensued because his name wasn't on the teaser posters, even though it was a given that he would score the film, I can't believe none of our paranoid members have mentioned that John Williams' name is in the credits.

Given previous episodes where mass hysteria ensued because his name wasn't on the teaser posters, even though it was a given that he would score the film, I can't believe none of our paranoid members have mentioned that John Williams' name is in the credits.

yes,Roald can't start a thread about Zimmer possibly replacing Williams. With the MV music at the beginning of the trailer...

Believe or not, I have quite a few communist friends who are pretty offended by the use of Russians as the villains, even though they are Indy fans <_<

the russians make great villians, remember red dawn, they have a great hiss factor only exceeded by Nazis and arab terrorist.

though it must be pointed out that the little french fellow in Raiders was hissable too.

Cool stuff. That scene with him driving on the cliff was too CGIy for my tastes.

There is no CGI.

looked like it to me

I am sure this has been discussed, but are they planning more than one Indy film, or is this supposed to be the end the those movies?

Colin Thomson

I doubt they'll make another. Ford once said that if the movie didn't shoot by 2008, he wouldn't be interested, so I don't think they'll make a new one. I personally don't want them too, despite my fanboyism towards the series. It would be stretching it too much. Mind you, I am perfectly thrilled about this one.

And was this the first Indy trailer to not use "Desert Chase?"

Believe or not, I have quite a few communist friends who are pretty offended by the use of Russians as the villains, even though they are Indy fans :lol:

the russians make great villians, remember red dawn, they have a great hiss factor only exceeded by Nazis and arab terrorist.

though it must be pointed out that the little french fellow in Raiders was hissable too.

I love politically incorrect Spielberg.

;)

SPOILER**** Maybe!?!

Did anybody else notice the "Electronic Ticking" sound in the trailer at the 1:26 mark, and "Roswell New Mexico 1947" printed on the side of a metal box; by the way the glasses is atracted to ti I'd Say a magnetic effect is to blame. ... Roswell??... the US Army?? Could Indy be going after an Alien?? I mean by the "aztec warriors" I might think that the crystal skull is the remains of an alien that contacted the aztecs a century or two ago. This is only my imagination. I haven't read anything yet. Just my opinion.... Just think about it. :lol:

Ford once said that if the movie didn't shoot by 2008, he wouldn't be interested, so I don't think they'll make a new one.

And quite rightly. There's something downright disturbing in the sight of a 60 year-old man carrying a whip.

Cool stuff. That scene with him driving on the cliff was too CGIy for my tastes.

There is no CGI.

looked like it to me

There is plenty of CGI in this trailer.

Neil

Looks a little like the desert chase cliff scenes from raiders.

It could be a dinamic (CGI enhaced) matte painting like the Mustafar background...

EDIT: oh and the SFX are clearly in production yet:

Look for these spoofs:

'i thought it was going to be easy' scene, a soldier appears from nowhere behing the soldier that is behing ray winstone in the left.

You can see a filming light lamp in the cristal of the truck (lower right) in the 'damn i thought i was closer' scene

Jesus that's pathetic and actually really sad. As for the American flag being pasted over, well I confess to being a bit irked when I first saw it - way to alienate the international audience Stevie. That's what I initially thought anyway. I'm glad it's the MPAA who had called for this addition and not Spielberg, even if it is one very bad decision, but hey, we'll live.

Oh and I think that edited JW trailer on the previous page is pretty bad to be honest. It makes the setup seem... stolid. I can think of a better Indy cue which would've done the job properly.

I think I'll be all right then. But I don't know if the Indy concert in May is before or after the movie comes out, better have one on standby then.

Well they are only doing the first 3 films so we should be ok.

Unf***ingbelievable.

I swear if the MPAA or other nanny-organizations ruin this movie by forcing artistic changes or other such nonsense in the name of "protecting the audience", i'm going to be royally pissed off.

If you look at the English trailer in the link above, and compare the scene of Indy and Ray being held up by guns with the US version, you see just how stupid the CGI alterations are (I KNEW there was something weird about that particular scene when I watched it the first time, like something not quite gelling right). I mean what the hell is the need for this? It's freakin E.T. and the walkie talkies all over again. If the MPAA feel the need to erase guns that are being pointing at a character, then frankly I am worried about their impact on the integrity of the rest of the film.

When will these idiots get it through their heads that we don't need them censoring images to "protect us", ESPECIALLY in a film with a character loved as much as Indiana Jones.

I hope this is remedied, and rightfully so there should be an outcry about this whole damned mess. Good on these guys for finding and pointing out this stupidity.