The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Jesus that's pathetic and actually really sad. As for the American flag being pasted over, well I confess to being a bit irked when I first saw it - way to alienate the international audience Stevie. That's what I initially thought anyway. I'm glad it's the MPAA who had called for this addition and not Spielberg, even if it is one very bad decision, but hey, we'll live.

Oh and I think that edited JW trailer on the previous page is pretty bad to be honest. It makes the setup seem... stolid. I can think of a better Indy cue which would've done the job properly.

Yeah why couldn't they have the UN flag or a One World Government flag so people don't get offended?

:lol:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with the American flag, but this talk of CGI gun removal is depressing. Just when I think the MPAA couldn't possible stoop lower, they manage to do it. Things are really getting out of hand...

Ted

It's possible that the guns were removed from the shot not for the sake of censorship, but because, being in the foreground of the frame, they distracted from Ford's first appearance. There are still a couple guns in the background, after all.

One has to wonder, though, why this was only done for the U.S. version of the trailer. Whatever the explanation, it's laughable, and also inconsequential. I mean, assuming that this doesn't actually end up in the film print.

The American flag is also jarring. It's clearly there to play up patriotism, something Indy isn't really about.

It's possible that the guns were removed from the shot not for the sake of censorship, but because, being in the foreground of the frame, they distracted from Ford's first appearance. There are still a couple guns in the background, after all.

One has to wonder, though, why this was only done for the U.S. version of the trailer. Whatever the explanation, it's laughable, and also inconsequential. I mean, assuming that this doesn't actually end up in the film print.

The American flag is also jarring. It's clearly there to play up patriotism, something Indy isn't really about.

yeah a flag on a US army base, how uncommon.

my only problem with it is it has 50 stars. clearly sloppy continuity.

Without looking it up I can't remember when Alaska and Hawaii were added as states.

I can think of a better Indy cue which would've done the job properly.

Which one would that be? I can give it another shot.

And for those that had mentioned "The Map Room," what section were you talking about? Because I tried that initially, and it didn't seem to fit very well.

There are a lot of cues that would have worked better than what was used. The Raiders March was employed for nostalgic reasons, but as musical accompaniment to this trailer, it's horrendous.

Ted

There's something about Indy's new costume. They have copied almost every detail of the costume from the previous films, however the trousers are substantially different. They're much wider than the old ones, which really makes for a different image. Older, I think. Which is probably intentionally.

Exactly how I felt about it. I'm sorry, but I almost thought I was watching a trailer for the new Michael Bay Indiana Jones film, simply because of the blatant flag in your face nonsense. Hardly subtle was it?

yeah a flag on a US army base, how uncommon.

Army base? What army base? All I saw was a flag covering the lens. The army base was not even in the same shot. It was blatant patriotism and it felt out of place in an Indy trailer. I can't help it if that was my instinctive feeling towards the sight of it in that instance.

As for the music question, I reckon the leap faith music from Crusade would've worked quite nicely.

That is normal though. Once you get older, you start to wear wider pants and they start to go...up.

If you say so :o

Look here for high resolution frames from the teaser trailer, new info and lots of spoilers!!

http://images.google.nl/imgres?imgurl=http...l%3Dnl%26sa%3DN

Frank Marshall, producer of the new Indiana Jones film, had this to say to Empire Magazine:

"This picture is locked. Steven's pretty much done editing. And we're going into the phase with John Williams where he starts scoring the movie. He's really writing now and then we'll start scoring in February."

"I would say it's [indy Jones 4] closest to the third one (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). It's all adults. I mean, you have the sidekick in Shia (LaBeouf), but you don't have a Short Round and I think the banter between the characters is as fun as it was in the third movie."

All this flag talk is so ridiculous! I knew people would bitch about it as soon as I saw it, but it serves to set the location as someone pointed out earlier, and Indy's an American hero. It's like showing a British flag in a Bond film, the nationality is a part of the character. Sorry if that gets in the way of your anti-American sentiments, but that's the way it is.

The gun removal is indeed needless, though.

What anti-American sentiments? I hardly think objecting to the usage of the American flag in the trailer is akin to saying, "I hate America."

MSM, supershadow.com is definitely not a reputable site. I wouldn't believe the plot summary (though I didn't read it for precaution's sake).

Frank Marshall, producer of the new Indiana Jones film, had this to say to Empire Magazine:

"This picture is locked. Steven's pretty much done editing. And we're going into the phase with John Williams where he starts scoring the movie. He's really writing now and then we'll start scoring in February."

"I would say it's [indy Jones 4] closest to the third one (Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade). It's all adults. I mean, you have the sidekick in Shia (LaBeouf), but you don't have a Short Round and I think the banter between the characters is as fun as it was in the third movie."

really old news, it was originally in Vanity Fair,

as for the change in pants, its is the 50's now not the 30's.

Styles do change.

People that wore bell bottoms in the 70's don't today.

What anti-American sentiments? I hardly think objecting to the usage of the American flag in the trailer is akin to saying, "I hate America."

MSM, supershadow.com is definitely not a reputable site. I wouldn't believe the plot summary (though I didn't read it for precaution's sake).

Ok. I kinda thought so :o

All this flag talk is so ridiculous! I knew people would bitch about it as soon as I saw it, but it serves to set the location as someone pointed out earlier, and Indy's an American hero. It's like showing a British flag in a Bond film, the nationality is a part of the character. Sorry if that gets in the way of your anti-American sentiments, but that's the way it is.

I'd expect that, from a paranoid American. Is that what you are? "Anti-American sentiment"? Nonsense. If that were the case I personally wouldn't care for an American hero like Indiana Jones. Thing is, as an Englishman I'd choose him over the very British James Bond any day of the week. Figure that one out...

is the great eye blind????

its clearly what some folks including you are doing, I applaud Ray for pointing out.

Well really, I don't know why else would someone become upset over seeing two seconds of the American flag in a shot of a US army base. Figure that one out.

Watching the trailer again, the sloppy hiding of the guns is hilarious. The guard in the background has a floating torso!

I've lost interest in this debate. And I'm concerned a yank from this forum might hunt me down and shoot me. No wonder the MPAA demanded the guns to be airbrushed out, damn reckless cowboys.

Flipper really does need a quality remake.

you didn't like the last one?

His name is Flipper, Flipper faster than lightning.

no one you see is smarter than he

You know that Flipper, Flipper, lives in a world full of wonder

flying there under, under the sea.

I dont mind the american flag at all.

i noticed (well got pointed out in another forum) that a soldier appeared from nowhere in the ray winstone scene. but wow, why would they erase the guns...

Lookig it better, the 'erase' effect in the indy shirt looks like awful old' wheel erasing in Luke's Landspeeder :D

Well really, I don't know why else would someone become upset over seeing two seconds of the American flag in a shot of a US army base. Figure that one out.

The flag isn't part of the shot. It's a digital insertion that's only present in the US trailer (compare).

It still look like they're panning over the Army base's flag ,which could actually be part of the film...lets say the previous scene was in India and they want to situate things

Well, I'm guessing it was "g--d---", but the point is, yet another edit.

As for the music question, I reckon the leap faith music from Crusade would've worked quite nicely.

Is that part of "The Penitent Man Will Pass"?

The flag isn't part of the shot. It's a digital insertion that's only present in the US trailer (compare).

Yes, I read that earlier, but it being added later is irrelevant to its effect. I'm just curious as to why it's so irksome, and no one's offered any reasons.

Because in the film he says Your a f***ing teacher?

:D Gosh, I hope so.

Did anyone else noticed that they also edited what Shia said? A word or two is missing between "You're a" and "teacher."

It sounds like LaBeouf was just hesitating.

Haha, perhaps.

As to the flag, it's only present in the US version of a trailer. Why? It's not like it was added at the last moment and there wasn't time to incorporate it into the international version. In the digital age, you can do that. Thus, it seems the only reason the flag is present is to stir up patriotism. Why is that bothersome? Well, imagine if an American flag was plastered over a trailer for, say, As Good As It Gets. Yes, Jack Nicholson is American, but the presence of the flag doesn't contribute much to the film's image! In fact, it would be inappropriate, as it is in the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull trailer. It equates Indiana Jones with America. It implies that pop icons and fictional stories symbolize our nation and that we are being patriotic by watching a movie. I find this vaguely offensive.

So, you see? I'm a patriot after all, and I only needed a ridiculously long-winded and overstated explanation to prove it.