The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

I studied Latin at school, but forgot almost everything of it again. I do wonder what we'd need Latin for though. Not that it isn't fun and interesting, but it doesn't really serve a purpose, does it? :mrgreen:

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I studied Latin at school, but forgot almost everything of it again. I do wonder what we'd need Latin for though. Not that it isn't fun and interesting, but it doesn't really serve a purpose, does it? :mrgreen:

You can use it at the Vatican city...

Its also useful for biologists (and the scientific names).

I can also help with meanings and understanding some words, if you come from a latin-derived language country.

Luke, who did not studied latin at school, though.

But i know many of those Scientific names :P

Sure it's more useful than not knowing Latin, but I can't see it being used for large-scale communication. I am still very happy I had some Greek at school though. I can now correct my navigation teacher when he says the kappa looks like an x. :mrgreen:

When do you think the soundtrack is going to be released

A. April 15

B. April 22

C. April 29

D. May 6

E. May 13

F. May 20

My guess if you want is May 20 is when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack releases. It sounds like everybody in this thread is saying John Williams is dead, but if he was it would seem like they would mention it on the news or something. Same if he were ill. I think he is well and alive and finished the recording to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Tell me your guess and why you think that. You can come up with your own date of release too. Thanks.

When do you think the soundtrack is going to be released

A. April 15

B. April 22

C. April 29

D. May 6

E. May 13

F. May 20

My guess if you want is May 20 is when Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull soundtrack releases. It sounds like everybody in this thread is saying John Williams is dead, but if he was it would seem like they would mention it on the news or something. Same if he were ill. I think he is well and alive and finished the recording to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Tell me your guess and why you think that. You can come up with your own date of release too. Thanks.

Obviously you missed the not-so-subtle sarcasm in the posts. Williams is alive and is working on KOTCS. I would expect to be released a week before the film is, just as ROTS was, if I remember correctly. Either way, I won't pick it up until after the film (as usual) as I like to hear the score before I actually buy it. Listening to it before sometimes ruins the emotions and context of it for me.

:mrgreen:

I actually wish it would be released just after the film, so I'd have to wait and hear it in the theatre first. As it is, it'll almost undoubtedly come out first, and I probably won't be able to hold out.

I don't think this high brow artsy fartsy crowd deserves it

Cannes, artsy fartsy? You must be confusing it with something else. The Cannes Film Festival is a mosh pit of celebrity excess and posturing. Don't kid yourself into thinking that is anything but.

I don't see how the high-brow crowd (as KM called it) don't "deserve" the premiere anyway.

Because they will bash the film

I can almost garuntee that some on this forum will bash it. Does that mean they don't deserve to see it?

In other Indy news, Paramount has announced all three previous Indiana Jones films will receive the Special Edition DVD treatment.

The films will be accompanied by new special features and be available seperately or in a boxed set.

This marks the first time the 1980s Indiana Jones movies will be available as seperate products.

No word yet on the price tag yet, or the possibility of an HD release (although I'm sure that'll happen eventually).

The Special Editions will go on sale on May 13, 2008.

Head over to IGN DVD or the Official Site for a list of special features.

Aw, the special features are one big happy family reunion. Strange angle for a double dip....but better than just repackaging, I guess.

Oh, but giving hints about Crystal Skull is very useful. I mean, the movie is being released a whole three days after this set, it should be amazingly effective at getting people psyched. I was worried that the last three days without any new spoilerish material would be the hardest.

Not nearly enough to get me to double dip. Most of those new features look like fluff, and I remember (though it's been a while since I watched them) the features on the current release to be very good.

They're pretty good, even though the very similar structure all Bouzeriou docs take, exhaustive and fun as they may, gets a bit tiring for my tastes. And Ford is in his comatose mode, which doesn't help the proceedings.

I'll rent 'em. Fluff or not...I don't think I'll be missing anything I can get on my favorite film series ever.

In other Indy news, Paramount has announced all three previous Indiana Jones films will receive the Special Edition DVD treatment.

The films will be accompanied by new special features and be available seperately or in a boxed set.

This marks the first time the 1980s Indiana Jones movies will be available as seperate products.

No word yet on the price tag yet, or the possibility of an HD release (although I'm sure that'll happen eventually).

:D The signs for rereleased scores are getting ever clearer!

I'm not sure if I'll get this. I'll have to think about it.

:D The signs for rereleased scores are getting ever clearer!

What signs?

K.M.Who couldn't give a crap about straight re-issues anyways

For those who think this is a sign that the expanded scores are coming I point you to M. Matessino's interview on the front page.

Don't get your hopes up.

I'm not saying we're going to get it for sure, I'm saying that this is only one more reason for Lucasfilm to release these wonderful scores in complete form.

What signs?

K.M.Who couldn't give a crap about straight re-issues anyways

Same here. I already have all the OSTs, I'm talking about re-realeases of a complete/expanded score.

Artwork added for those who're interested. I'm not double dipping unless it has an isolated score track, as I'm perfectly happy with the old set.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/indiana-jones6.html

Spielberg always jips the fans when it comes to extras, he's so tight with them.

Deleted scenes would make me want to buy the DVDs. Without them...eh...some of the features look interesting but...why is it so hard to just put on the freaking deleted scenes, man?! The OT has the same problem. I don't understand. Maybe we'll get them with the (I hope) inevitable four-film boxed set.

I too would have liked to have some deleted scenes.

I'm also of the opinion that a DVD set has to carry at least 2 discs in order to earn the "Special Edition" title. Although in fairness, the SE title doesn't seem to appear on the cover art at all.

Oh well.

I already have these films anyway.

Me too.already have the box set.

But it says Special Editions,maybe it has the opening of the ark sequence and mine car chase in CGI

We know there were deleted scenes shot. How many are left in what state, I don't know. The longer scene with Indy and Marion talking in the Raven was shot--in fact, if you go look at the back of your Raiders DVD, that picture is from that scene, near the end. In some incarnation of Raiders, the old man also read more of the inscription on the medallion, which says the Ark is not to be touched, nor looked at when opened. When Indy and Sallah find the Ark, Sallah is tempted to touch it, and Indy stops him. I believe this was shot, but I'm not 100% sure. They also shot the scene with a German soldier who is ordered to execute Sallah after Indy and Marion are trapped in the Well of the Souls. Apparently, this local student gave a wonderful performance, and everyone loved the scene, but it was cut for pacing. Also, if the bootleg cue is any indication, Williams scored something that went between Indy crashing the statue through the wall in the Well, and Marion walking through the mummy crypt. Indy's journey on the sub was at least partially shot, and the opening of the Ark was originally much longer (this is probably the scene that is talked about least that I most am interested in seeing). Marion originally had more trouble with not looking at the Ark, and I believe this was part of the longer cut of the scene.

In TOD, I'm pretty sure that the slave children's escape was longer, with them crossing over the lava pit on a wooden plank, and then Indy, Willie, and Shorty are forced to go back through the mine because the plank collapses. I don't recall if this scene was shot or not, but I know that originally, after Indy is put under the Black Sleep, Willie somehow gets back to her room, and--my memory's fuzzy here--in some order, she runs into Chatter Lal, who reveals his villainy in this scene, and Indy also corners her and (I think) his breath melts the mosquito netting, or something creepy happens. I'm not sure if much more was shot but cut, although the "Mine Cart Chase" cue would seem to indicate that its scene was originally a bit longer.

In Last Crusade, there was a comedy bit when Sallah and Marcus are running away in Iskenderun, where Sallah slaps a camel, making it spit at the goons--I don't remember if this was shot or not, although it was in the comic book. Also in the comic book was a longer scene with Indy and Donovan's men going from the school to Donovan's penthouse. I can't recall if that was shot, either. The zeppelin sequence was a fair bit longer. The "No Ticket!" cue shows that the sequence of Indy getting the suit and Vogel going to Henry was longer, and the final portion of the cue apparently scored the scene of Indy cutting the wires. In the Bonus Features, there's a brief shot of Harrison Ford and Pat Roach in (apparently) a more comic fight scene, which I'm assuming occured somewhere in the "No Ticket!" sequence. Also, when they escape the zeppelin, originally the WWI flying ace (seen in line before they get on the zeppelin), drunken and taken with nostalgia for the good old days, follows after them with a German, and upon getting into one of the planes, detaches it before starting the engine. It seems there was originally some footage of Indy and Henry arriving in Iskenderun. Also, there was originally a scene shot where Donovan has the men dynamite the entrance to the Grail temple to open it, and Indy, Henry, Sallah, and Marcus see the smoke. I'm assuming this is where the unused music from "Canyon of the Crescent Moon" was supposed to go.

And there's a good chance there's even more out there somewhere, but these are some of the notable scenes.

Spielberg always jips the fans when it comes to extras, he's so tight with them.

I wouldn't say that exactly, but his no commentary policy has always bugged me.

I wouldn't say that exactly, but his no commentary policy has always bugged me.

what else could you say, his extra's are pitiful, especially considering the wealth of material out there.

Just once Steven should look at what James Cameron does for his dvd releases, cameron puts Spielberg to absolute shame.

The extras for the last Indy boxset were the best extras I've ever seen. And Jaws is good too.

For me, the 2-disc release of the 1989 Batman movie are still THE best special features package I've ever seen.

And as for those cut scenes, maybe this upcoming book might have more insight (although, at only 300 pages, I wonder just how thorough it'll be):

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Making-Indi...9498&sr=1-2

You guys do realize Williams had a stroke in November, right? He's basically brain dead now. He had written a couple of themes and sketched out some cues, but this score is basically the work of Conrad Pope and John Neufield.

What??? Is it a bad joke or what???

Can anybody tell seriously and without joking, what is with williams right now and what is happening with score to indy4 ?

Zimmer is writing the replacement score right now

:blink: score fore indy4 ???

Don't worry. All is well. It is merely our macabre sense of humor playing tricks on you.

Welcome to the board, anyway. ;)

I would say Henry's macabre sense of humor, but oh well...

:blink:

The extras for the last Indy boxset were the best extras I've ever seen. And Jaws is good too.

For me, the 2-disc release of the 1989 Batman movie are still THE best special features package I've ever seen.

The bonus material for King Kong (1933), while re-created by Peter Jackson, is also up there as one of the best.

The bonus material on the Criterion CE3K laser disc boxed set was very good too.

Some news pertaining to the score here =

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...n-3251800.shtml

Interesting

Ahh, any news is good news.

But i'm a bit confused - is it being used in a "song" for the movie, or for the actual score itself? The article seems to be quite vague about that.