The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Some news pertaining to the score here =

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...n-3251800.shtml

Interesting

Ahh, any news is good news.

But i'm a bit confused - is it being used in a "song" for the movie, or for the actual score itself? The article seems to be quite vague about that.

I know what you mean, but I think they are referring to what we soundtrack fans like to call cues

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a case of ill-informed/misinformed journalism. Randy Kerber is employed by Williams (and others) as the main orchestra keyboard player, and also as an orchestrator, more recently.

And I'm sure the fact that Kerber plays this instrument as part of the texture of the score has been confused with "composition", especially given that Kerber is also a writing musician.

I highly, highly, highly, highly doubt that Randy Kerber has actually written something to serve as part of the score for Indy4.

Some news pertaining to the score here =

http://media.www.dailyillini.com/media/sto...n-3251800.shtml

Interesting

Ahh, any news is good news.

But i'm a bit confused - is it being used in a "song" for the movie, or for the actual score itself? The article seems to be quite vague about that.

I know what you mean, but I think they are referring to what we soundtrack fans like to call cues

After re-reading the article, methinks you are right sir.

Damn these people need to get up-to-date on their semantics!

So this Kerber huy is writing the score,"helped" by this Williams guy who "composed the song to Star Wars"

:blink: I liked that phrasing too. Even aside from that, it's kind of a poor article for a college level publication. Anyway, so this instrument is like a piano, but it transitions seamlessly from note to note?

The way they use the word "song" in terms of the Star Wars theme song leads me to believe, along with more info on page 2 of the article, it'll just be incorporated into the orchestral scoring of the film, not a song-with-vocals type of "song".

It sure does make me think of the theremin, and how that became synonymous with 50's sci-fi B-movies... which is what I think I read they were trying to shoot for with the latest Indy film (as opposed to the 30's Saturday morning serial feel for the original trilogy).

That Continuum Fingerboard well you know...John Williams does occasionally use synthesizers in his score.

Here's another whopper:

"According to Haken, the Continuum has been used in other movies such as "War of the Worlds" and "Superman Returns" for background ambiance. However, it was not yet been used in music for movies."

Er.... :dance:

OMG Indy 4 is composed in MIDI

The entire score is tracked from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

Not to that extent.

What extent? The article gave no details of the instrument's use in the score. I'm sorry to say it, everyone, but this isn't Williams's first foray into synthesizers. He's only used them in dozens of scores.

I meant with the device itself, it being something akin to MIDI. Synths are one thing, but that's something else.

As far as Mr. Rudess is concerned, I love the continuum. When it comes to a film score, I am really intrigued (and nervous) to see how Mr. Williams will put it to use.

As far as Mr. Rudess is concerned, I love the continuum. When it comes to a film score, I am really intrigued (and nervous) to see how Mr. Williams will put it to use.

True - but most times in these cases, the instrument is used for like 2 seconds. They only get coverage because they are unique and I guess they need specialized players for them.

So this Kerber huy is writing the score,"helped" by this Williams guy who "composed the song to Star Wars"

Actually, this Kerber fella, an Academy Award-nominated movie soundtrack composer, is writing the score, which will be performed in collaboration with this Williams guy, who composed the Star Wars theme song. :dance:

Hmmm wonder if maybe it's going to be a substitute for a theramin or maybe used for source cues.

I think they got Williams and Kerber mixed up in the article as far as composing and orchestrating, either that or it was just sloppy journalism. But it looks like he's work with Williams before.

mmm what is this thin g about a guy composing music into Williams material?

I mean, if williams wants to compose some synth passages is OK...but this other guy is going to write the notes?

:nopity:

Maybe that story about Williams having a stroke had some truth in it. :nopity: But hey, Kerber is an Oscar nominated composer! All Williams did was compose the Star Wars song! :(

Perhaps they're trying to use it to add an interesting sound to the crystal skull theme or something like that? The article sounds REALLY weird.

Are there any known deleted scenes, or are we just assuming?
Does this help?

http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/deleted_scenes.php

http://www.theraider.net/films/todoom/deleted_scenes.php

http://www.theraider.net/films/crusade/deleted_scenes.php

oh... question I always ask myself for 5 seconds while watching the film and forget after beeing distracted by something else:

How did Indy survive the sub ride?

now I know

I recall in the novelization Indy lost his hat AND the whip. He's got them in the later films though, so something isn't right there.

Here's a crazy thought....He bought new ones. :D

About the strange article, I wouldn't be surprised of the author was a total moron and got confused between composing and performing.

Now, with any luck, Williams will have a heart attack and die before he has time to assemble the original soundtrack album, thus leaving the job to somebody more capable!

With this news, it could be happening soon.

Of course, it is entirely possible that Spielberg and co. are trying to keep it under wraps until the release.

Ah, thanks for that, Pieter! A shame the new DVDs won't include those scenes, how hard could it be?

Looks like the recording session wraps today: http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories...05.40f2556.html

Yes! It is finished and done, we will be getting a score to Indiana Jones 4 by John Williams.

Here's that new instrument keyboard thingy mentioned previously.

It sounds kind of nice....in JW's hands maybe it has potential

Not a huge fan on synthesizers, but I trust John Williams to make good use of it (although I think back to Heartbeeps and shudder)

PLEASE let the official site have some sort of video on the recording sessions!!! Please please please!! We got ones for costume and set design....

Ooo, I hear ancient alien relics! Very suiting indeed.

Here's a novel new pic which once again makes one feel confident the old skool action antics of Indy Jones remain intact in the new movie: Clicky Use the magnifying glass :)

Ooo, I hear ancient alien relics! Very suiting indeed.

Here's a novel new pic which once again makes one feel confident the old skool action antics of Indy Jones remain intact in the new movie: Clicky Use the magnifying glass :cool:

Judging from what I know about the instrument it will possibly be used and sound in the same way as the theremin, which is traditionally the instrument used for symbolizing alien presence, however the latter is very difficult to master and has less possibilities than the continuum fingerboard.