The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

If it was Spielberg (I haven't read the article) he was probably referring to ToD as only a half-solid entry into the franchise.

He's gone on record saying he didn't like ToD much before. In fact, on the 2003 DVD set, he says something to the effect of the only good lasting thing coming out of that film was meeting his wife.

I've heard he even made Last Crusade as an apology for Doom. It was accused of being racist against Indians around the time of its release. Funny if you ask me, since it's pretty well received now.

I don't see any disingenuity in the portrayal of the village Indians, but the palace dwellers are pretty dubious. Chilled monkey brains? Jeez.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep reading our list of upcoming new releases waiting for Skulls to be listed but nothing yet.

I still expect it to be on the 20th of May. Thats 52 days from now.

Whoever it was that said the Raiders March felt awkward in the trailers couldn't be more wrong. It sounds even better in this tv spot now that they have updated it with the theme's reprisal statement and the goosebumps it just gave me couldn't be any more appreciated.

ToD remains to this day a superior summer blockbuster of the quality the likes of Transformers and The Mummy can only ever dream to be.

Yes it is. It's one of the more pleasant and fun movie going experiences I've had. I went opeing weekend and I remember the whole audience was into the film the entire way thru.

Holy crap! I freakin' love that new bit! "Come on, genius." Classic! Those shots, along with some of the warehouse scene, have my favorite shots in the look and feel so far. That shot of Indy pulling the rope literally looks like a cleaner shot from TOD or Raiders. Fantastic!

Very cool. (Even though we only got about 5 seconds of new footage!)

Interesting that Mutt refers to Indy as 'professor'. Possible indication that he's not actually his son?

I don't think that Mutt calling Indy "Professor" is a definite way to squash the rumor that Mutt is Indiana's son. Perhaps we haven't gotten to the scene where this information is revealed. Although, I can't imagine what they would be doing in a place like that in the beginning of the film, you know?

I don't think that Mutt calling Indy "Professor" is a definite way to squash the rumor that Mutt is Indiana's son. Perhaps we haven't gotten to the scene where this information is revealed. Although, I can't imagine what they would be doing in a place like that in the beginning of the film, you know?

Maybe he comes to Indy because his mother (Marion) has been captured, or something like that. He may find out later that he is his son.

Ted

Maybe he comes to Indy because his mother (Marion) has been captured, or something like that. He may find out later that he is his son.

Ted

Or maybe he is Belloq's son after all.

Indiana Jones - I did what you wanted I stayed away..... Why didn't you tell him?

Marion Ravenwood - How can you ask me that? Were we together? Were we going to be?

You had your world, and I had mine. And I wanted him in mine. Not chasing across the world like his father, looking for his little bits of junk!

Indiana Jones - [silence]

Marion Ravenwood - Actually....he's a lot like you, in many ways.

Indiana Jones - [silence]

Marion Ravenwood - Please tell me what you're feeling?

Indiana Jones - There's a crate out there I haven't seen in thirty years, and some Sovjets that are trying to kill me.

You show me a son who'd be happy to help them.

Marion Ravenwood - [silence]

Indiana Jones - My son.... My life that could have been, and wasn't.

And what am I feeling?

Marion Ravenwood - [silence]

Indiana Jones - Old..... Worn out.

From Empire Magazine:

"John Williams hasn't forgotten how to show an audience a good time", says Steven Spielberg on the Los Angeles scoring stage where the musicians are 'taking five'. "It's so exciting watching the images become infused with 120cc of pure Johnny Williams adrenaline."
Source: http://yi82ga.tuk.livefilestore.com/y1pWRI...cannen00012.jpg

From Empire Magazine:
"John Williams hasn't forgotten how to show an audience a good time", says Steven Spielberg on the Los Angeles scoring stage where the musicians are 'taking five'. "It's so exciting watching the images become infused with 120cc of pure Johnny Williams adrenaline."
Source: http://yi82ga.tuk.livefilestore.com/y1pWRI...cannen00012.jpg

It's hard to be a John Williams fan and not feel a frisson of excitement when you read a quote like that, but, then, what else would you expect Spielberg to say?

If it survives Lucas last minute editing tinkering and Ben Burtt secretly sneaking into the mixing studio at night to turn up the volume of the sound effects,were in for a good time I think.

Why should Lucas do any editing, he's not the director. I think we should be more afraid of Burtt wanting to leave the Indy saga with a bang.

I never got the impression from anywhere that it was Indy's son - just some kid who gets caught up in it.

If the sound effects need turning up then so be it. The purpose of Indy IV is to serve the audience in the best, most optimised way possible and not just to please the handful of die-hard Williams fans sitting in the corner of the theatre.

In fact the effect of the sfx in the sole hands of a film music fan in a film like this would be disastrous.

If the sound effects need turning up then so be it. The purpose of Indy IV is to serve the audience in the best, most optimised way possible and not just to please the handful of die-hard Williams fans sitting in the corner of the theatre.

In fact the effect of the sfx in the sole hands of a film music fan in a film like this would be disastrous.

We already suffered the contrary in The prequels.

And what we got? Butched and tracked music. Its not JUST the volume.

In the Star Wars OT and original Indy films the music is loud enough that you can hear every note and FEEL the music yet the SFX and dialogue and SFX are loud enough. Then you have the Potter films and SW prequels where JW's music is barely audible.

I am not sure why Williams is targetted in this bad mixing in recent years (since Seven Years in Tibet),all MV/Zimmer scored films have music loud to the point of giving you a headache.

EDIT: My bad, you guys are talking about the films themselves and not the score albums.

With that said, I still trust the professionals to mix the sound and score correctly over the bigoted views of a few JW fanatics.

Shore's music was mixed as loud in the films as going to a film music concert .THAT is why it became so popular and won 2 Oscars. In PoA even in a music only scene (Buckbeak's Flight) ,you got very timid volume of Williams cue (like you had to strain to hear it)