The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

Is anyone actaully bothered by the possibility of a 140 min run time?

I don't care how long a film is as long as it's good.

But it appears negative word of mouth is starting to spread at the various entertainment sites that insiders don't think the film is any good and that the running time is too long.

Granted one should take all that for what it is but it's not the kind of hype I think the film needs.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

considering that the film has only been tested once, and won't be screened to the execs until later and wont be seen again until the Khan film festival.

yes I know its spelled Cannes

Yeah, something tells me those "early reports" are not based on much. But then again, this statement isn't based on much either. I just refuse to accept that Spielberg would return to make a mediocre Jones movie.

Ted

Well if anyone had any doubts about how Ford really feals about Han Solo, just scroll thru the picture slideshow and read the caption next to the picture from Empire.

Well if anyone had any doubts about how Ford really feals about Han Solo, just scroll thru the picture slideshow and read the caption next to the picture from Empire.

He's right. Solo really wasn't Solo in Jedi and was really unnecessary. He had pretty much had his story told by the end of Empire, and should have stayed dead.

So, it seems that it has been confirmed (by none other than George Lucas himself) that

Shia Labeouf is playing Indy's son in the film.

I think we all expected it, but now its been confirmed. I seriously stop need to reading all this stuff...there will be nothing new in the film when I finally sit down to watch it.

Link: http://www.theraider.net/news/fullstory_indy4.php?id=696

-odnurega1

PS- Check out that picture!

Was that sarcasm? Nevermind, the smiley did not load right away. I see now that it is disappointment. I expected it to happen, so I am not really disappointed.

Was that sarcasm? Nevermind, the smiley did not load right away. I see now that it is disappointment. I expected it to happen, so I am not really disappointed.

A little spoiler heads up would have been nice. I don't particularly care about this as everyone should be able to figure this one out, but I'm sure someone is going to be mad.

I'm actually glad. The only thing I might wish here was that the official confirmation be in film, but I'm perfectly fine with it being a family affair.

But it appears negative word of mouth is starting to spread at the various entertainment sites that insiders don't think the film is any good and that the running time is too long.

That's not good...

Odnurega! A spoiler warning would have been welcome. Not that I personally mind the revelations but many on this MB do. And as this thread is a place to discuss Indy IV in general, music and film, you can't help but to come across those spoilers.

Granted one should take all that for what it is but it's not the kind of hype I think the film needs.

A friend of mine has seen chunks of it and she thought it was very silly.

A friend of mine has seen chunks of it and she thought it was very silly.

Doesn't sound promising, but on the other hand both ToD and LC were also quite silly for most of their running time.

Yes, they were certainly silly, but I believe, and it's just one person's opinion, that's even sillier. It's not Raiders style, that's for sure.

I'm not sure Steven is THAT interested in these types of films anymore. He's more interested in intense material i.e. Munich.

Yes, they were certainly silly, but I believe, and it's just one person's opinion, that's even sillier. It's not Raiders style, that's for sure.

I'm not sure Steven is THAT interested in these types of films anymore. He's more interested in intense material i.e. Munich.

I wouldn't mind an intense and sort of serious approach like it was in The Raiders. The sequels ((or prequels, whatever) were much less serious in general, even the dark and violent ToD.

Even if that were so (and I don't think anything he's said or done thus far indicates anything other than he's had a blast doing this), I would say that at least he is that interested in THIS film, which is the primary thing.

And I'm willing to take all these inside comments (without readily confirmable sources, no less) with a heavy grain of salt, and go in and have fun with it. If it ends up being goofy, then we've got three great movies and (hopefully) four great scores.

All that said, I would venture to say that even if it is sub-par Indy, it will probably stand above the enormous majority of modern popcorn fare.

Sorry about the lack of a spoiler warning. I assumed that since this is the "Official" thread for Indy 4, you're pretty much welcoming spoilers by clicking on it, but I'll put one next time.

I dunno, judging by the recent blockbuster films he's made, I just don't see that passion that made his name in the 70s and early 80s. Indy might be different. We will see.

Check this interesting interview with Spielberg & Lucas over at EW.com, in which Spielberg talks also about the whole affair of spoiling the movie experience through the internet. Old-school way of thinking, sure, but it's refreshing to hear such words from him.

But maybe most people who hype themselves up the gazoo are in for a disappointment, anyway....How good can this film possibly be, considering all the factors involved.

Let's hope Williams comes out of this smelling like roses...

One of the reasons why I wasn't too excited about this is because Spielberg has changed as a director and has gotten into more heavy handed subject matters.

Sometimes trying to go back and revist the past or copy it doesn't always work.

Like I said earlier you have to take the sources for what they are but it's happened in the past.

With Titanic everyone thought it was going to be a massive flop before it was released but then word started to leak from those studio/inside sources that it was actually good and people would be suprised and boy were they right.

The same with Godzilla (1998), early sources said the film would not live up to expectations and they were right.

So I kinda tend to pay attention just a little bit when early word starts to leak on a film.

But the final decsion will rest with me as to how I feel about the film, as it should with all of you.

And what were you expecting? Everybody is going to dislike the film, even if it's up to Raiders quality. They won't let it have its own identity because everyone will think it has to fit within their own concept of Indiana Jones, and quite frankly, that's just impossible.

I don't know if the movie will be good or not, but this is the most secretive Spielberg project in years and I really don't think many people have seen it already (hell, even Harrison Ford hasn't seen it). I would say it's just pure speculation

the whole chunks of it comment rings so believable.

and Spielberg has gone record that he's making a concentrated effort to direct it with the style of the previous films.

he can be more interestedin Munich material which wasn't intense, just stupid, a film that never reaches the quality of any of the 3 indy films and its one worth forgetting

he can be more interestedin Munich material which wasn't intense, just stupid, a film that never reaches the quality of any of the 3 indy films and its one worth forgetting

With all due respect, comparing Munich to IJ and vice versa is simply silly. It's like comparing Schindler's List to Jaws and saying SL isn't that entertaining.

Usually you don't get that early negative word of mouth for a Spielberg directed film.

Because people don't have such a detailed impression on how his films should feel like before they watch them. Not the case here.

We've been over this before, Joe. Munich is a great movie. It's not your cup of tea, and you may find it exploitive, but I (and others) have defended that claim very effectively.

Ted

Loved this answer from the EW interview

SPIELBERG: Right. Irina Spalko is a villain when she [first] gets out of the car.

LUCAS: She's an uber-villain.

SPIELBERG: The privilege for me was working with the great and talented Cate Blanchett. Because she is really a master of disguise.

LUCAS: She's just amazing.

SPIELBERG: She is so unrecognizable in this movie. But she's been unrecognizable in many of the choices she's made in her career, to play characters, like Bob Dylan, that are so removed from who she is as a mom and a wife in real life. She's a very threatening villain. Of all the villains I've been able to work with in the Indiana Jones movies, I can say she's my favorite. And I think Cate made her that way. We gave her a template for this, but she invented the character.

One has to see. My biggest fear is that the film looks like the trailer, which i found not very encouraging. Apart from the deja vú's like the room with the crates, the whole thing did somehow look like 'Tomb Raider 3', at least before the Williams music starts.

I guess it will be a so-so film with hopefully a great score....

Loved this answer from the EW interview

SPIELBERG: Right. Irina Spalko is a villain when she [first] gets out of the car.

LUCAS: She's an uber-villain.

SPIELBERG: The privilege for me was working with the great and talented Cate Blanchett. Because she is really a master of disguise.

LUCAS: She's just amazing.

SPIELBERG: She is so unrecognizable in this movie. But she's been unrecognizable in many of the choices she's made in her career, to play characters, like Bob Dylan, that are so removed from who she is as a mom and a wife in real life. She's a very threatening villain. Of all the villains I've been able to work with in the Indiana Jones movies, I can say she's my favorite. And I think Cate made her that way. We gave her a template for this, but she invented the character.

I liked that too. Blanchett's awesome, I can't wait to see her in this role.

With all due respect, comparing Munich to IJ and vice versa is simply silly. It's like comparing Schindler's List to Jaws and saying SL isn't that entertaining.

SL isn't entertaining(not in the usual way) nor is it as good a film as Jaws

and sorry Ted we have to agree to disagree, Munich is smut.

I don't know if the movie will be good or not, but this is the most secretive Spielberg project in years and I really don't think many people have seen it already (hell, even Harrison Ford hasn't seen it). I would say it's just pure speculation

And its the kind of speculation that gives the people the feeling that the movie will be bad, add that to the 'this movie should not be done' and you will have a lot of people predefining the movie as bad before seeing it. ;)

Munich is no more indulgent in sex than Temple of Doom is in violence. Much less so, actually.

look if thats the direction SS wants to go as a filmmaker then I will choose as an audience member to not go that direction with him.

I agree with Merkel, so few people have seen the film and vague references don't scare me.

for me this film is review proof at this point. I will make up my own mind either on the 22 or the 23 of May depending on the situation.

And its the kind of speculation that gives the people the feeling that the movie will be bad, add that to the 'this movie should not be done' and you will have a lot of people predefining the movie as bad before seeing it. ;)

right,it could be the "word of mouth" of naysayers .