35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Old Themes
    • New Themes
    • Have no idea, but prefer reusing old ones
    • Have no idea, but prefer hearing new ones
    • Have no idea
    • Don't give a crap

I'm with you, Morn. He's already done "Potter," let's have something different.

IrishCal, I have no objection to the children taking center stage, I would just like to see all these great veteran actors better utilized. John Hurt and especially Zoe Caldwell were wasted the last go-round, with so much more attention lavished on something like that silly seen-it-all-before Quidditch Match. (Did I spell that correctly.) Or on the inevitable showdown with Valdemort, which made me want to scream, "Enough already!" I like all the prep school stuff. In fact, I would argue that the fantasy films being made today are best when they slow down and try to simulate some sort of reality. Some of the best moments in "Potter," for me, personally, were the quiet scenes with the mirror, and I especially liked the detail of the movement in the painting in the background of one of the scenes comprising the denouement. It's quiet moments like these, when some subtlety is employed, that make the biggest impact. I can't put my finger on what exactly bothered me about the film. I liked it. The early scenes with the foster family were clearly lifted right out of Roald Dahl. But I didn't love it.

Branagh's "Frankenstein" was a bitter disappointment for me. I thought the creation sequence was brilliant, but for a film purportedly trying to stick close to Mary Shelley's text (like that other Coppola-produced travesty "Bram Stoker's [sic] Dracula"), it failed miserably. The adaptation owed more to Christopher Lee Hammer Films than it did the classic story. Who the devil was John Cleese supposed to be, and wherever did they come up with that ending?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, Morn. He's already done "Potter," let's have something different.

I'd still like one more sequel though. But 7? I'd much rather see Williams doing other things.

Well, considering book 5 is at least about a year away, I suspect that John's involvement will end after Prisoner of Azkaban.

And as much as I would like to see Goblet of Fire on film, part of me doesn't.

And for those who do not get Harry Potter, you can only get it by reading. which is fundemental by the way. J.K.Rowling has created childrens literary classics. Right now while there are a plethora of self help style books, and run of the mill sci-fi mystery and romance, the true talent seems to lie in the childrens books. Take a look at A Series of Unfortunate Events, series, aka Lemony Snickett, or Artemis Fowl. These are fun for both children and adults alike. Reading enhances lives. Try it.

Well, I wouldn't mind if there was an unlimited amount of Harry Potter movies. But I'm not sure I want Williams to score any more after the 2nd.

I don't know what you're insinuating, Joe. I read plenty, and most of it isn't crap. I can't vouch for the quality of Rowling's prose, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, and the magic which her dedicated fans attribute to her doesn't always transfer to film. Okay?

Figo, not as illiterate as he apparently seems.

Sorry Figo, I was not aiming my post towards you at all. All I am saying is to get Harry Potter you must read the books, it is the magic in the rock kinda thing.

And then I was trying to encourage people to read. I think sometimes the only reading people do is either on the computers, on billboards, or just magazines. Books are great, read them. Books can take you places you might never afford to go to. But if magazines are the only thing a person reads then continue to do so.

Joe, remembering SNL when Nora Dunn's model character was asked if she had read any good books lately and said she had read the latest Vogue.

I think that HP2 is going to be a better score than the first, as the book (and the movie) is a little darker and more adventurous, slowly making the story more exciting. But the HP3 movie (and score) will blow you away!

HP4 sucks (Neither is it going to be a movie, and even if, I`m doubtfull Williams will score it).

I think the HP series and the Snicket series is great too!

Somehow I thought you might agree. :(

For those interested, go here to see a sneak preview of Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets its is quite good. :mrgreen:

Well, I wouldn't mind if there was an unlimited amount of Harry Potter movies. But I'm not sure I want Williams to score any more after the 2nd.

Normally I'd agree with you. But I'd really like to see Williams score all the Potters. And not even so much because he's my favourite film composer, but because Potter is so much about continuity.

;) Yo-Yo Ma Plays the Music of John Williams

HP4 sucks (Neither is it going to be a movie, and even if, I`m doubtfull Williams will score it).

I cannot disagree more with you. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a dark, brilliant work. It is full of twists and turns and truely terrific writing.

It is the highpoint of the 4 books so far.

And if Harry Potter films keep making money then Goblet of Fire will be made.

Columbus said he still would like to direct Goblet of Fire. It's in the same article I linked to earlier in this thread, and he seems almost certain it will be made if money can be made. He will also remain as exuctive producer on PoA so it wouldn't surprise me to see Williams do the score, even if it is directed by Branagh. It will be up to Williams himself most likely. He likes the books and knows what can be achieved musically within the series.

I really think that every book in the HP series is great. JKR is such a terrific writer and her books are so intricate, to put them on screen is one thing. . .but I agree, I hope JW continues his work with HP because it is about continuity.