BBC Radio John Williams Interview this Fri.

mahler3

From www.musicfromthemovies.co.uk

Tune in to BBC Radio 4 at 16.30 GMT on Friday April 14th to listen to a special edition of 'The Film Programme', which features an interview with composer John Williams. Francine Stock joins the composer at his base in the Dreamworks offices at Universal City, Hollywood to talk about his work with Steven Spielberg, his writing methods, what goes into creating a score that packs an emotional punch, the score he's most proud of and the current state of film music.  Sounds like it will be a fascinating listen!

You can tune in at 88-91FM or online at www.bbc.co.uk/radio4.

http://www.musicfromthemovies.co.uk/article.asp?ID=644

He hasn't done an interview with the BBC for many years.

Tim. :sigh:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[EDIT] I just checked their website, looks like you will be able to listen to a streaming version of the programme.

Which was already mentioned in the first post.

Apparently, Williams' first collaboration with Spielberg was Jaws. :)

He also told just told the Schindler's List story again. ("You need a better composer." "I know, but they're all dead.")

Good follow-up question, though. (Who would be that better composer?)

That's what I was thinking.

I liked his story of his wife always wearing black to the Oscars because "they've lost so many times." :P

What version of the Imperial March was that? :)

Same question for the Flying Theme. Are these re-recordings?

Nice interview. Williams is very humble as usual. He seems little absent minded about the films he has done though. I guess he really moves on very fast and complitely when he has worked on a film. There were also those old stories like Schindler's List that Williams tells in every interview but mainly it was very interesting to hear Maestro speak.

I must admit I am more than intrigued what is the score Williams is working on right now as the interviewer mentioned he is writing a new score.

I must admit I am more than intrigued what is the score Williams is working on right now as the interviewer mentioned he is writing a new score.

OotP? :)

Perhaps Flags of Our Fathers. It's a Spielberg production of a bigger-scale Eastwood film. Lately, Eastwood has scored his films, but this one seems to demand a bigger score. Who knows?

Ted

Perhaps Flags of Our Fathers. It's a Spielberg production of a bigger-scale Eastwood film. Lately, Eastwood has scored his films, but this one seems to demand a bigger score. Who knows?

Ted

That would be nice. I believe Eastwood had nothing but kind words for Williams' score to The Eiger Sanction.

can somebody point me to the used recordings for this interview? in particular E.T. Over the moon and Imperial march? Never heard this recording anywhere.

After that University of Southern California, Thornton School of Music interview, all of this seems rather paltry in comparision.

The Jim Svejda interview a couple of months ago was also much better (it was 45 minutes w/o the musical interruptions) because Williams was on the ball and because the interviewer was a little more on Williams' wavelength. And he didn't have any problems remembering which Potter film Cuaron did.

Tim

I don't know what else to tell ya. The February interview was good, and he seemed a little out of it in the new one. I suppose a lot can happen in a relatively short time frame.

Tim

That would be nice. I believe Eastwood had nothing but kind words for Williams' score to The Eiger Sanction.

I should hope so, as the score is the only good thing about the film

Currently working on a new score ...

May be ... SUPERMAN 2 !!! :P

It will be a justice regarding the fact that it will be " a new score ", and the best occasion to do an homage to the memory of Christopher Reeve !!! :wave:

May be ... SUPERMAN 2 !!!  :P  

It will be a justice regarding the fact that it will be " a new score ", and the best occasion to do an homage to the memory of Christopher Reeve !!! :wave:

I was thinking this as well. Though I won't get my hopes up. He might be scoring a car commercial for all we know.

Holy crap. When I first read that on the main page I thought "if he's working on a new film, I think we should have heard about it by now." But if it's not really a new film per se...

[frankbarone] Holy crap. [/frankbarone]

I'm gonna cross my fingers...really, really hard...

In a recent interview with the BBC Williams said he was currently working on a project. The interviewer took that to mean a particular score, but as no new films have been announced with Williams attatched for 2006, people are specualting he's writing the score for Superman II (i.e. not the apparently butchered version that made it to the theatres all those years ago).

Ask someone else about that whole discussion as I've only ever seen Superman, once at that.