Stupid NY Times

Dole

My apologies if this has already been discussed here, but I just wanted to voice my utter digust with the Julliard review in the NY Times concerning JW. Apparently, Williams (the second-most nominated person in Oscar history and a Kennedy Center Honoree) is some sort of hack who Julliard should be embarrassed to call an alum. I hope that I live to see the day when film music garners the respect it deserves. I can't understand why classical music lovers continue to see film music as inferior. Film music is like the opera music of our time. Things change. Get over it! It's a different medium for a different time. Strange that Leonard Bernstein, Copland, and Prokofiev among others all scored films! I hope that these reviewers will one day wake up and realize that the kind of disrespect they show for Williams, Herrmann, Goldsmith and others smells of the same kind of disrespect given to classical composers who went largely unappreciated during their lifetimes. Williams is more telegenic than he is musically talented? Give me a break... :roll:

Dole

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Film music is like the opera music of our time.  

That's quite correct; If Wolfgang Amamdeus Mozart was alive today, I believe that he'd be living in L.A. and scoring movies...

It's just cultural elitism - if something is popular, there are some who think this is a sign of inferior quality...

how can they think Williams tarnishes their alumni record, thats absurd. He is one of the few composers, and by far the greatest, unless the consider Alan Greenspan to be their most honorable alumni, lol.

Maestro Williams is certainly one of the most luminously gifted people ever to graduate from Juilliard.

Nothing could be more obvious! It reflects poorly on the Juilliard School as an institution when critics perpetuate the quasi-elitist myths about it. John Williams is true elite.

Firstly, thank you, Bob Dole for giving a wonderful speech about leadership, values, and humor at my school, St. Olaf College, this evening. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am glad that I got to shake your hand.

I am upset with those folks who make music a philosophical battleground. Music is what it is, and to hold oneself above others and claiming that a genre of music that is closely related to his own music is inferior is blatantly blindsighted. Classical elitists view film music as something unworthy of praise, but it is one of the many mediums that drives the modern orchestra forward. There is as much creativity in film music as there is in modern orchestral music, if not moreso because film composers create tangible emotions, while modern composers tend to try to innovate to the point of unintelligibility. Not all art must be innovative. It must be expressive, and those who think that they must create a new artform every time they put ink to paper will be sorely disappointed. Music should be a medium for expression, not for innovation. The innovation comes out of the expression, and Williams is right up there with the best of them. Many film composers are up there. Innovation in and of itself loses all context and grounding. It loses all meaning.

~Conor

any free link to the article?

On the main page.

I was very angry when I noticed how the reviewer succeeded to belittle and insult Williams in those few sentences he was mentioned. ;)

Anne Midgette came across like a classical elitist who thinks anything outside the classical music is something less worthy or artistically poor.

The event smacked a bit of the Oscars as well. It was notable that John Williams served as the main conductor, representing perhaps not so much the school's high artistic level as a telegenic presence viewers might recognize. (He conducted respectably, though the final scheduled selection, the first movement of Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto, was a little lackluster.)

Firstly, thank you, Bob Dole for giving a wonderful speech about leadership, values, and humor at my school, St. Olaf College, this evening. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am glad that I got to shake your hand.  

You're welcome. Bob Dole thanks you for your kind comments. St. Olaf's is a beautiful place. Bob Dole remembers when he voted to make Minnesota a state. Ahhh...the good ol' Senate days!

Dole

New York Times and Julliard are equally stupid IMO. ............. except this old Julliard cats who are cool

The boycott will be set to motion. NY Times will crumble before our show of strength Muaahahhaahaaa! We all subscribe the paper and frequent the netsite right? :pukeface:

-Mikko who just visited NY Times site for the second time-