Horner & Gibson Back in Action?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you haven't listened to Horner scores in the last few years, why do you comment Horner threads in a message board?

Because I can and want to express my opinion.

"Express your opinion" about scores you have not listened to? :)

Judging scores by 30 seconds soundclips or only one listen is.....strange.

Cool!

Can you provide a link?

I don't know if they offer it online. I'm talking about going to an actual store and listening to the CD, sorry.

:P

Did you even read my posts? You've almost done the same thing you accuse me of.

If I sample a Horner CD and hear the same damn note for note cue that I've heard in pratically every other Horner score I think I can form an honest opinion.

And to be honest I've been listening to film music for some 30+ years. I think that gives me some experience in forming my own opinion.

Going....outside?

:)

I know Virgin Megastores, Tower Records, Circuit City, Borders and Barnes & Noble let you either listen to entire CDs or more than 30 second clips.

Excuse me for saying but you sir are a complete moron. He has every right to judge the score based on 30 second sample clips. I have done it myself with a lot of scores and if I don't like what I hear I don't buy it, plain and simple.

Alot of people do this and yes I agree Mark.

Excuse me for saying but you sir are a complete moron. He has every right to judge the score based on 30 second sample clips. I have done it myself with a lot of scores and if I don't like what I hear I don't buy it, plain and simple.

Alot of people do this and yes I agree Mark.

He has the right, but it's nevertheless stupid.

It's no more stupid than your comments and you still either have a problem understanding english or you're not even bothering to read my posts.

I, for one, am glad to have Horner at the helm after 11 years. I don't think these kids can score.

sorry gents but the rhythmic pattern in The Vampire Hunters is NOT the same as Mars, The bringer of War. First, the beat division is set in a 4/4 time signature. Holst's is set in 5/4. Secondly, the orchestration is very little like Mars.

Just because a composer uses a repeating ostinato figure doesn't mean it's ripped off from Holst. When I interviewed Gabriel Yared a few years back and mentioned how he brilliantly evoked the Mars movement for Troy, he revealed he'd never heard that piece and that he'd shyed away from it because he was told it sounded like film music of which he's never been too interested in. His actual influence for that opening track was Ravel's Bolero. Yet most people, myself included, naturally thought he was evoking Holst.

sorry gents but the rhythmic pattern in The Vampire Hunters is NOT the same as Mars, The bringer of War.  First, the beat division is set in a 4/4 time signature.  Holst's is set in 5/4.  Secondly, the orchestration is very little like Mars.  

Just because a composer uses a repeating ostinato figure doesn't mean it's ripped off from Holst.  When I interviewed Gabriel Yared a few years back and mentioned how he brilliantly evoked the Mars movement for Troy, he revealed he'd never heard that piece and that he'd shyed away from it because he was told it sounded like film music of which he's never been too interested in.  His actual influence for that opening track was Ravel's Bolero.  Yet most people, myself included, naturally thought he was evoking Holst.

That's great news for fans of James Horner and Gabriel Yared. Could this also mean that there's a slight chance that maybe John Williams isn't ripping off every composer who has ever lived when he composes his scores?