Is John Williams a smoker?

Josh500

I remember seeing a photo of him holding a cigar, but I could be mistaken. I know Spielberg smokes cigars (just look at the Making of Lost World), so maybe I'm confusing him with Johnny. Does anyone know for certain?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have figured that cigar smoking isn't as dangerous because you don't inhale, but apparently my research has proven otherwise, as those people are still 34% more likely to die from cancer then nonsmokers, developing cancers in the throat, mouth, lips, larynx, and esophagus.

Tim :D

I doubt it, as he seems to be quite healthy at his "advanced" age.

Ross, suffering from 4-and-a-half months withdrawal.

Congratulations! :D

Ray Barnsbury

I stopped two days ago. I smoked for a while in high school, quit when I inlisted, and managed to stear clear of smoking for 14 months. Than one of my best friends died, and I went back, and I decided on April 12th to quit, hopefully for good this time.

No, he has. Physical addiction disappears after two days. Then you are left with psychological addiction, where you just depend on your will power. So you can shrug the habit off, or you can be left staring at a baby crawling on the ceiling.

After that, there are just phases. You can go on happily for a whole week, then the urge comes back. I personally dislike that part. The urge's a bitch.

-Ross, who knows better than the old excuse "oh well, it's been so long since I had one, I guess can control myself now". My ass.

The picture of Williams on the back of the Varese edition of his Violin Concerto/Flute Concerto shows him holding a cigar if I am not mistaken. It's too wide to be a pencil. Can anyone confirm or deny this for me please?

Hitch

Well, thats a shame, but I'm not surprised really. John Williams is in an elite group of musicians, and I've heard stories of professors not passing their music students unless they could survive a dinner where they had to have 2 martini's, and a cigar. It's very much a professional music thing, or at least it used to be. It's not so prevolent anymore, but I'm not at all surprised that he did at one point, or still does.

~JW

Williams does (or at least at one time) smoke. I have seen pictures of him recording or rehearsing musicians with a cigarette dangling from his finger, ashtrays on his piano, etc. He even mentioned in a Evening at Pops episode that a collegue of his gave him his first cigar. Spielberg even mentioned when he was at the recording session for Phantom Mencace that he was glad he didn't drop by for cigars the day he composed Duel of the Fates. Yes they are in fact cigars on the Violin/Flute concerto CD back cover and on the Empire Strikes Back back cover.

Why is this so big deal? What difference does it make if Williams smokes?

It's not a big deal; the next thread will be a bigger deal:

QUESTION: What colour socks will John Wililams wear tomorrow...

Yeah, I've seen pics of him playing a piano with an ashtray on top of it. Of course, it could of very well been somebody else's piano/ashtray ;)

Actually, I'm kinda curious wether he is a religious man.

I think Williams once mentioned that he wasn't religious, but I can't remember the specific source. However, in an interview with an online rock magazine, his son Joseph did mention that he was raised Catholic.

Yeah, I've seen pics of him playing a piano with an ashtray on top of it. Of course, it could of very well been somebody else's piano/ashtray :devil:  
Actually, I'm kinda curious wether he is a religious man.

I think Williams once mentioned that he wasn't religious, but I can't remember the specific source. However, in an interview with an online rock magazine, his son Joseph did mention that he was raised Catholic.

Well Williams is not your Bible quoting religious person is he? I do not think he has ever mentioned anything remotely religious in his interviews except for the Celtic poem Battle of the Trees and Five Sacred Trees and the mythology woven around it.

Oh and I am waiting with great anticipation whether someone really knows what colour socks Williams is usually wearing. ;)

Well Williams is not your Bible quoting religious person is he? I do not think he has ever mentioned anything remotely  religious in his interviews except for the Celtic poem Battle of the Trees and Five Sacred Trees and the mythology woven around it.  

You can be religious without being a "bible thumper" - some of the religious people I know consider their religion to be a very private matter, and don't talk about it unless you specifically ask them. That being said, I tend to agree that Williams is spiritual but not religious.

And he wears black socks. :devil:

Well Williams is not your Bible quoting religious person is he? I do not think he has ever mentioned anything remotely  religious in his interviews except for the Celtic poem Battle of the Trees and Five Sacred Trees and the mythology woven around it.  

You can be religious without being a "bible thumper" - some of the religious people I know consider their religion to be a very private matter, and don't talk about it unless you specifically ask them. That being said, I tend to agree that Williams is spiritual but not religious.

And he wears black socks. :D

I know you can be a religious person without being overly outspoken about it. I very well know religion can be a very private thing. That is what I meant with my first comment. I think Williams prefers to keep those thoughts to himself.

Oh I believe Williams is a spiritual person and that can be seen in his work. Natural world seems to inspire him very much and for example his A.I. documentary shows a little bit of his spiritual ruminations.

I wonder whether he's wearing boxers ...

Wondering about JW's underwear might be taking being a fan to a new high (or low)...

I think it's very hard to be such an amazing composer and not be at least a bit spiritual.

Agreed!

Why is this so big deal? What difference does it make if Williams smokes?

Throughout much of Europe and Asia it isn't a big deal.

In the U.S it has become a big deal, due to the circulation and propagandizing over decades, of fraudulent scientific data linking smoking with all manner of problems and illnesses.

Greece and Japan have statistically the longest life spans, in addition to having by far the highest smoking rates by percentage of population. (Google it, anyone who doubts)

How can this be? primarily - Diet, and attitude. It's a question of living, as opposed to the quasi-life existence of one who lives in fear that their lifespan may be shortened, since they were never really alive to begin with.

I say let Williams enjoy his Cigar, his Cigarette, his Brandy, his Whiskey, whatever. When you get to that age, those kind of pleasures are far more likely to give a man a reason to live on than a fucking carrot smoothie.