Is John Williams a smoker?

Josh500

Why is this so big deal? What difference does it make if Williams smokes?

Throughout much of Europe and Asia it isn't a big deal.

In the U.S it has become a big deal, due to the circulation and propagandizing over decades, of fraudulent scientific data linking smoking with all manner of problems and illnesses.

Greece and Japan have statistically the longest life spans, in addition to having by far the highest smoking rates by percentage of population. (Google it, anyone who doubts)

How can this be? primarily - Diet, and attitude. It's a question of living, as opposed to the quasi-life existence of one who lives in fear that their lifespan may be shortened, since they were never really alive to begin with.

I say let Williams enjoy his Cigar, his Cigarette, his Brandy, his Whiskey, whatever. When you get to that age, those kind of pleasures are far more likely to give a man a reason to live on than a fucking carrot smoothie.

I'm all for letting a person do the things they truly enjoy. But as far as the "fraudulent scientific data" goes, I find that really hard to chew whenever I see cases of lung cancer. I think the diet/attitude thing is a good point though. It's probably useless to think about, but I can always hope that Williams has a balanced lifestyle and that he sticks around for a long, long time.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I worked with Joseph Williams on the score for "Early Edition" (a CBS series.) During lunch somehow the subject came up (about smoking) and he said that his dad DID smoke in his earlier years but had since given it up. Joseph was a smoker and I would actually join him (at the time)... a GREAT excuse to have some small talk...

J.W. was scoring the first Star Wars prequel film at the time, and during one of our chats Joseph told me that he had just written a cue for "a celebration scene"... of course we now know what he was talking about. From what he said, it was fairly common for his dad to give him small cues like that. I believe they usually involve synth programming... since John isn't too hip with that stuff.

Although they were mild heart attacks, he was very hesitant to go to the hospital for some reason. A short while later, the doctor told him he needed stents put in his heart because he had a few blocked arteries. He's pretty much okay now despite having smoked for 40 years.

And I agree, women smoking is a major turn-off.  Most of them in my Uni class smoke like chimneys and they all stink!  It's like a mutant stench of cigarette smoke and B.O.

Yeah, whereas in your case it's your B.O. and POV that stinks. Right Nat?

portman.jpg

And I agree, women smoking is a major turn-off. Most of them in my Uni class smoke like chimneys and they all stink! It's like a mutant stench of cigarette smoke and B.O.

I know what you mean. When I was attending the Las Vegas college for a semster a lot of women that went there smoked (well alot of people that went there smoked, but that's besides the point) and it was just horrible.

I would definitely not want a girl who smokes. I mean I just couldn't imagine kissing a girl who's breath smells fresh like reak of cig smoke. Yuck! Plus if you hugged them your clothes would be smelling like it and it just...*shudders* No thank you.

My dad used to smoke for a long time until he had a heart attack and had to have a 5 heart by pass surgery done. That day he had that happen he quit cold turkey right away. Only 2 of my 5 brothers smoke in my family and my other brothers wish the 2 would quit smoking...

And I agree, women smoking is a major turn-off.  Most of them in my Uni class smoke like chimneys and they all stink!  It's like a mutant stench of cigarette smoke and B.O.

portman.jpg

Just imagine how much more beautiful she would look without the cigarette.

portman.jpg

Two things I disliked about Closer:

1. Plotting that went nowhere.

2. Nat smoking. Really, it's stinky.

Things I liked about Closer:

1. Nat stripping.

2. Refer to No. 1.

I used to smoke occasionally and my dad a constant smoker even though he went thru cancer a few years ago. I only smoked for 5 years and quit about 6 years ago. Now that I've given it up and more and more public places are banning it I can't stand the smell of it.

But Natalie does look good with that cigarette in her mouth.

Natalie would look good with a pacifier in her mouth. Correction. Natalie would look good with anything in her mouth.