Gramophone cover boy John Williams

Figo

I just received the May edition of The Gramophone (British classical music magazine), and the printing distributed throughout North America features a three-page cover story on JW. The teaser reads "Just how classical a composer is John Williams...," and the design features an alabaster bust of JW eclipsing those of Wagner and Mozart.

Inside, there are glossy photos of Williams conducting, of Williams at the Grammy Awards (with a squinting, bullfrog-necked George Lucas), of Williams -- presumably at a record-signing -- with Yo-Yo Ma, as well as the same old stock photo of Williams with folded hands beneath his chinny-chin-chin (high school yearbook style).

I haven't read the article yet, but Gramophone has been unusually sympathetic in reviewing JW's film scores -- although classical critics' reviews of soundtracks are usually as cringe-worthy as film score geeks' allusions to classical.

On the downside, the Williams story has knocked uber-babe Anna Caterina Antonacci off the cover. (Who would you rather look at for a month?) Her saucy visage still graces the British edition.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/

Sorry, couldn't find a facsimile of the North American edition online.

To my knowledge, this is the first time the U.S. cover has been different from its British counterpart. Americans must really love John Williams.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks like something you would see on an amateur fansite, not a respected magazine.

Tell me about it.

At the very least it should soothe Bob Dole's ruffled feathers. (See his thread "Stupid NY Times.") There is no more respected classical music magazine in the world -- at least not with that kind of circulation.

Thank you, Melisande. As I say, I couldn't find it online, and I don't own a [functional] scanner.

Wow Williams is featured in a Classical Elitist... I mean Gramophone magazine (The world's unrivalled authority on classical music since 1923)! :D How can this be? Isn't he chopped liver to those folks? I am happy but puzzled. There must be some catch in this. This is too easy. Why is Williams featured now in their cover even if they usually do not recognize his existence? Can it really be that classical elitists are begrudgingly accepting film music? Their resistance is cracking! Now is our chance to bring them down! :(

Has a spy infiltrated our message board? Are our bitter and in the end meaningless tirades about the cruelness of the world towards film music monitored by an evil classical elitist presence? Shocking!

Not me!

But that is exactly what a classical elitist would say to mask his identity :D How can I trust anyone here anymore?

Could a fellow Finn be a classical elitist?

I'll read the article tonight, Incanus. As I said, Gramophone has been favorably reviewing Williams' scores for some time. The quality of those reviews is another story. The guy who devotes himself to film is not usually as incisive as his colleagues. Gramophone critics can be a snooty lot (elitist), and snooty as only the British can be. But since most of the great British composers also wrote for the cinema, I don't think they are quite as intolerant as, say, Dole's writer from the Times. I do wish one of the hardcore old-timers would have a go at reviewing film music by someone other than Vaughan Williams, Walton, Bliss, Alwyn, etc. Even when they're dismissive of something, it is usually in such a way that you actually glean insight into the music, or at least the critic. The criticism is almost always illuminating -- which is one of the reasons I still read the magazine.

Not me!

But that is exactly what a classical elitist would say to mask his identity :( How can I trust anyone here anymore?

I play mostly classical music for a living = elitist ;)

If one ever read my post here ; they are quite far from elitist (or sane man) 8O

:D

Not me!

But that is exactly what a classical elitist would say to mask his identity 8O How can I trust anyone here anymore?

I play mostly classical music for a living = elitist ;)

If one ever read my post here ; they are quite far from elitist (or sane man) 8O

:mrgreen:

Oh I know you are far from classical elitist but I could not resist that little joke (even if it was a bad one) ;)

I'm going to go check the places they sell magazines now,right after I finish this smoked meat sandwich

edit:Nope,still the April issue on sale

K.M.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the bust of the babe who's still on the cover of the UK edition of Gramophone 8O

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, it's real. :) I saw a copy of it on sale at Barnes and Noble. Didn't pick it up, though. Perhaps I'll go back if I have the time this week.

Edit: The comments in the Gramophone web forum are hilarious:

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/mainforum.asp?...ageSectionID=52

Author: Mike H 18 Apr, 2006 19:21 GMT

I was a little shocked by the cover photograph on the May 2006 issue of the Gramophone. I was expecting to see the lovely Anna Caterina Antonacci's protruding shoulder, but was instead horrified by the plastic bust of John Williams in front of additional busts of the composers he samples and hacks to bits in his movie soundtracks. While the UK may have every right to think of the US as a land filled with asexual Puritans without taste, do you have to slap us in the face with it?

Maybe that's why I can't find it.Newsstands across North America have boycotted the May issue,because of the disgrace it brings to the classical community.

K.M.

Gna, I'm pissed... I saw the May edition in a store at the central station in Hamburg today (rare thing for a magazine store to carry foreign mags), but they only have the British edition... Hell, why taunt the reader with the entry "John Williams ... etc. etc. etc." in the contents page just to add the remark: "exclusive to the American edition"?

I'd really like to read this article... ;)

We might get it online after all

Hi, Disappointed, I'm wondering what could be the reason for which this article is not in the uk version this month. Could Gramophone comment on that? thanks, DB

Reply from Gramophone The version that is published in North America contains articles of specific relevance to that region. However, this feature certainly is of international interest, so in a few week's time I will add it to the website in the features section.

I picked up a copy of the May Gramophone today. I paid $9.20 for this issue... I don't think I've paid that much for a magazine in my life, heh. At least I'm enjoying the sampler CD that came with it. :o

Anyway, I scanned the the cover (minus the CD) and the article for your perusal. It really doesn't offer anything new for those who've been following his career, even though (apparently) Williams was interviewed for this issue.

(sorry for the image quality, I make do with what I have)

jw10mc.th.jpg

jw20ng.th.jpg

jw39ih.th.jpg

jw45cl.th.jpg

Thanks you very much for the scans! It is true that there's not much new information for us, but I was curious to read the article. It was better than I thought. It is not like they really praise him, but at least they don't criticize him.

I picked up a copy of the May Gramophone today. I paid $9.20 for this issue... I don't think I've paid that much for a magazine in my life, heh.  

lol,I was thinking the same.I got it yesterday for 14$cdn :o

Some interesting stuff,like Williams saying he doesn't plan to slow down unless he gets sick or something,and how he writes every orchestrations himself (confirms what we said).They say he's been accused of stealing from previous classical composers,...but that it's not a fair accusation since his films scores are as recognisable as any classical works.I still sence they are reluctant to admit his full genius.

K.M.

Thanks for the scans Melisande! The interview did not contain much new information but some nice points were made about Williams' music. Surprisingly positive article for a magazine that is the world's unrivalled authority on classical music since 1923. And I liked that it was noted how conscious Williams is about the audience and what affects them and what type of music is needed. I have always thought the same. Film music is at the same time innovation and relying on conventions. There are countless examples of that. To serve what audience expects but to create new at the same time is the challenge.

Nice to hear Williams is determined to continue composing as vigorously as ever :o

nice to hear that kent nagano and placido demanded for an opera. this is huge. now the snobby classical ones will be like "wow, famous classical people are acknowledging his shit. maybe we shoudl too."

oh and Williams says he's especially proud of his Horn Concerto.I hopes this means he'll try to release it on c.d.

K.M.

Someone needs to find a great libretto for Williams so he can get his Opera on. That would be too cool (or horrible, it could probably go either way).

Tim

the Opera...i dunno,I have a gut feeling he should stay away from that.

K.M.Hearing We Don't Want to grow up,Seven for Luck and Thomas and the King melded together.

Opera would waste precious composing time writing something I would rarely listen to. I am not a big fan of Opera.

And I'm sure that the amount of times a fan of his listens to his work keeps him awake at night. :mrgreen:

Williams obviously is still constantly changing his musical direction. If an opera interests him, I'd say go for it.

Luckily for me, it doesn't so far interest him. Yeehah! Of course he doesn't care what I think, but at least I am lucky he composed Azkaban, Sith, WOTW, Munich and Geisha instead. If he has the time to do a new orchestral/choral work or an opera. I choose the former. Besides, the opera would likely be in English. 74luck was good for what it was, but at least it was short.