Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

I just got

The Mask of Zorro

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra Visits Magical Movieland <- rerecordings of stuff from Disney flicks. Havent listened to it yet though I got it cheap.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got a couple of rare Vangelis CDs: Ignacio, and See You Later. I have them both on vinyl so I already know they are great albums, but I haven't had a record player in about 15 years! I wonder where Stewdog1 is these days? I'm sure he'd be interested in my growing Vangelis collection. Haven't seen him here in months.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've recently bought:

The Driver/The Star Chamber (Michael Small)

5769.gif

Rio Conchos (Jerry Goldsmith)

rio.jpg

Stagecoach/The Loner (Jerry Goldsmith)

stagecoach.jpg

Knight Rider (Stu Phillips)

knightrider.jpg

The Avengers & Various (Laurie Johnson)

79593.jpg

CHiPs Vol. 1 (Alan Silvestri)

chipsv1.jpg

Amazing Stories: Anthology Two (Various)

5982.gif

And I'll get those two new Williams CDs in the next few days, I suspect.

:) The Sandlot (David Newman)

Pretty much. At the time I had it I didn't really know how to properly take care of my CD's so it got left on the floor and such and eventually scratched to hell. As I said most of my CD's I am having to re-buy because of that.

I have to re-buy my recording of Mendelssohn's Elias... only a couple of days after I got it, I accidentally dropped the 2 CD set. Disc 2 got so scratched in the process that two tracks won't play anymore.

B0000C03AH.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116115939_.jpg

Are these the 60s recordings?

;) War of the Worlds

Yes. I didn't know Karajan did another complete set...?

I have to re-buy my recording of Mendelssohn's Elias... only a couple of days after I got it, I accidentally dropped the 2 CD set. Disc 2 got so scratched in the process that two tracks won't play anymore.

That *nearly* happened to me with my Elmer Bernstein box. I dropped one of the cases, and the Silver Chalice disc got a huge scratch around the edge.... thankfully the scratch right near the edge, and the disc still plays perfectly.

Yes. I didn't know Karajan did another complete set...?

He did at least do a digital one I believe. Anyway, the sound quality (even before SACD - I've never heard those) of DG's early digital recordings isn't a match for the remastered analogue recordings of the 70s (very noticeable with Karajan's Strauss recordings - compare the Originals releases to the Karajan Gold releases). The old Resonance releases (with yellow spine ;)) of those 60s Beethovens are somewhat hissy, but sound fine otherwise (cool bass), and I'm sure they sound much better in those new remasters - the Resonance discs I believe were among DG's earliest CD releases, and not only didn't yet have the technology available today, but were done as cheap as possible (my personal impression, I have no detailed info here).

Anyway, I like those recordings a lot, even though I'm still missing #9.

That *nearly* happened to me with my Elmer Bernstein box. I dropped one of the cases, and the Silver Chalice disc got a huge scratch around the edge.... thankfully the scratch right near the edge, and the disc still plays perfectly.

At least my Elias was cheap...!

Hm, let me see...

in the last 2 months:

-Previn conducts Korngold: The Sea Hawk, Elisabeth and Essex, Captain Blood, The Prince and the Pauper

-Beethoven: Symphony No. 5&7

-Beethoven: Symphony No. 9

-Elgar/Dvorak: Cello concertos, Bartok: Rhapsody for Cello & Orchestra

-Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 4

-Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 5

-Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6

-Brahms: Symphonies No. 3&4

-Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique

-Elgar: Enigma Variations & String Works

-Korngold/Rózsa: Violin Concertos, Rózsa: Theme and Variations, Waxman: Carmen Fantasy (Heifetz)

-Corigliano: Symphony No. 1

hm, forgot:

-Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, vol. 1

-Bach: Sonatas and Partitas for Solo Violin, vol. 2

-Corigliano: Violin Sonata, Etude Fantasy, Fantasia on an Ostinato, Chiaroscuro

I had hoped to get all the individual Sedares/Herrmann albums, but I saw this for a very reasonable price and couldn't refuse:

macabreqe6.jpg

And in a store I bought:

Psycho (Herrmann's re-recording)

The Maltese Falcon and Other Film Scores (Adolph Deutsch)

Carrie (Pino Donaggio)

The Misfits (Alex North)

If anyone could answer my question about those last two, I'd very much appreciate it. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent choices, if you like Rosenman and Herrmann (the former is certainly a big "if"). ;)

I haven't been buying much recently, only:

e71cf5.jpg

Yes, I got it when it was in print at Intrada (have you seen the ebay prices!!?).

And 2x Rosenman from Amazon:

fanatsticvoyagefsmhf4.jpgjurijmg1.jpg

Jurij could well be Rosenman's best work, and IMO that's saying a lot.

Ahh you managed to find a copy of Fantastic Voyage?

I got Inchon as well but given all the crap going on at the other message boards I haven't been too enthused to actually listen to it.

It's sitting next to my stereo, I did open it and read the liner notes.

Yep, from some guy who (judging by the price) didn't know it was OOP. Those sort of people are the resaon I have both Raiders CDs.

B00005QY2R.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056699927_.jpg

I will be flamed for repeating this, but I still maintain that this is one of the great scores in history.

Me, I finally picked this up recently:

B00005Q66Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Probably the best recording I've heard so far, though it's still not perfect. After two Wands, two Karajans, one Tintner, one Welser-Möst and one Celibidache, I'm still looking for a recording that fully pleases me.

;) Westworld (James Newton Howard)

B00005QY2R.01._AA130_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056699927_.jpg

I will be flamed for repeating this, but I still maintain that this is one of the great scores in history.

One of, I agree. By the way - on the subject of Rosenman - what do you think of Star Trek IV?

Yep, from some guy who (judging by the price) didn't know it was OOP. Those sort of people are the resaon I have both Raiders CDs.

That's why I always say to keep your eyes open because you can always find a bargain somewhere.

Personally I enjoy the score to ST IV, althought the main title is similar to "Riders Of Rohan" cue from his LOTR score.

Someome striving for perfection should not confuse the outstanding Westworld with that overloaded turkey of a movie called WATERworld!

D'oh, how did that happen?

One of, I agree. By the way - on the subject of Rosenman - what do you think of Star Trek IV?

Wonderful score, very enjoyable. Yes, the musical "bridge" in the theme is similar to LOTR, but he basically took that from Wagner's Meistersinger anyway... :)

:music: Max Fighter (Christian Afonso)

Musically/orchestrationally: Absolutely. Thematically, Shore's scores are pretty much in a league of their own (though Rosenman's score does have some great themes in their own right, and very good thematic development, but obviously not the sophistication Shore achieved with his tons of themes).

:music: The Lord of the Rings (Leonard Rosenman)

For the record, I'm amongst the small group who likes Rosenman's Star Trek IV score. I actually like all 10 Star Trek motion picture scores. I wish Paraborg would release the complete scores for all 10 Star Trek films...

But are you familiar with the music of Leonard Rosenman? If not it may take you awhile to enjoy his LOTR score.

Frankly, no. Well, I watched Robocop 2, but thats about it. 8O Anyway this LOTR sounds pretty interesting so far, though the hardest bit is disassociating Shore from LOTR. :P I'm not sure about the Herrmann though. I sampled it a bit here and there and it seems a little...40s to 50s historical epic generic-ish. Hmmmm...what do you guys think? oh well, at least I got that one cheap.

With Herrmann, it generally helps a lot to see the film. Even if it's not particularly good, it'll give you a better sense of the score. And as for quoting himself... well, Herrmann did that. The end of his "Sinfonietta for Strings" is a direct quote from Psycho, and (so I'm told) the Ghost and Mrs. Muir theme is based quite heavily on something from his opera Wuthering Heights. However, the music's too good for me to complain. :|

ah, noted. Thanks. :| I gave Rosenman's LOTR a full spin. Some parts do leave me a bit cold, but I guess it will get better with repeated listens. My lil' bro thinks the main theme sounds like something out of a WWII movie (think those jolly ol' ones like Great Escape, Bridge Too Far, etc). I have to admit I agree somewhat. :love: Lovely liner notes, lovely CD design and erm...what else? Oh, the sound is pretty damned good imo.

ah, noted. Thanks.  I gave Rosenman's LOTR a full spin. Some parts do leave me a bit cold, but I guess it will get better with repeated listens.

I always felt that it's a superior score to Shore's. It's more ambitious from a musical point of view and more interesting IMO.

Karol

B000008LA0.01._SS500_SCMZZZZZZZ_V1056641564_.jpg

and

B0000658FS.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1116308448_.jpg

The first one is very good, the second is even better. I must admit that I find Goldsmith 80's synths charming, if somewhat cheesy :)

Captain Blood: Swashbuckler Suites (Naxos compilation)

I wanted to purchase it recently. Is it any good?

Karol

This is weird. I was about to order Saturn 3 from Intrada this morning, when some supernatural force compelled me to buy it from Screen Archives, despite the price being the same. I don't know why I did this - I trust both companies 100%.

Nearly 12 hours later, I got an email from SAE, saying that Saturn 3 orders from SAE come with a bonus free CD! Was anyone else pleasantly surprised by this?