Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a release on a label called Membran International. It has a booklet in both English and German. It's kind of vague. It's conducted by Korngold, though. I think it's identical to the Tsunami release I saw mentioned on soundtrackcollector.com

Membran is a bootleg label that simply re-issues other albums. They've even bootlegged a few FSM albums (I've seen Membran bootleg copies of All About Eve, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef and several others in stores).

The sound quality on the Tsunami album is no better than the isolated score on the DVD.

Really? I didn't recall anything particularly good about Coppola's score.

Anyhoo, I found a few CDs at a local store yesterday.

Don Juan DeMarco by Michael Kamen

Naked Lunch (remastered) by Howard Shore

Monsters Inc, by Randy Newman

And Backdraft (remastered) by Hans Zimmer. This last one was a pretty dumb purchase, as, for some reason I was under the impression that I only had a boot of it, when, in fact, I did own the OST. Whatever. This one is remastered and has an interview with Zimmer about the score. And it didn't cost much.

Oh, and I also finally got Simon Rattle conductiong John Adams Harmonielehre.

Yea its not thaat great...but for completions sake. :) But oh damn the Godfather Love Theme aint in it at all! Not even a quote.

Burga - who is pretty disappointed the song based on the love theme from the first movie sung by Anthony Corleone isnt on the CD

Burga2 - there's a remastered Backdraft?

Apparantly. I hadn't heard about it either, but there it was. I don't have the album on me, but I'm almost sure I saw that it was released by Milan.

And, frankly, the only reason I might have bought the Godfather 3 CD was for the vocal version of the theme. That is the only instance in the film where I remember the music.

The Godfather 3 score, in the film, rather lacks that special something that Nino Rota was able to pour into the first two.

It's a faithfull continuation though....

Well I've played it a few times and I must say I enjoy the adaptation of Rota's material (in far better sound quality than the first two CDs too). Coppola's new material however, while reasonably enjoyable just dont seem to fit into the established tapestry of music. And I totally did not expect a whopping 25mins or so to be taken up by the opera. Drats.

Got The War and The People Vs. Larry Flynt by T Newman on Ebay, as well as Elfman's Herrmann's Psycho, and Isham's Quiz Show.

Of the last batch, for now, I fell in love with the song from Don Juan DeMarco, and couldn't get through Naked Lunch. Not for me. Although, for some reason, it did make me feel like listening to Looking for Richard again, the only other Shore score I own that I couldn't get into.

I currently have these two CD's sets on order through Movie Music.com but won't be able to pay for them until August 3rd. These are also my early birthday presents to myself.

KarateKidSet.jpg

Godzilla.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Recently purchased:

- The 'Burbs (Jerry Goldsmith)

- Godzilla (David Arnold)

- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Nicholas Hooper)

- Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)

On the way:

- The Dark Crystal (Trevor Jones)

My Varese package also arrived today. :lol: Along with the Exorcist VHS box set, with CD. I might try and sync up some of the rejected score to the film...

Ordered the following off SAE:

THE LAST EMPEROR

GODZILLA (1998 / 2 CD-SET)

INSIDE FILM MUSIC: COMPOSERS SPEAK (Book)

BOPHA!

WAIT UNTIL DARK

MALONE

Returned from Spain with the following:

John Powell - Evolution (Varèse promo, got it signed)

David Arnold - Baby Boy (Varèse promo)

John Debney - Dragonfly (Varèse promo, got it signed)

Henry Mancini and Michael Kamen - Lifeforce

Jerry Goldsmith - King Solomon's Mines (Prometheus release)

Jerry Goldsmith - Basic Instinct (Prometheus release)

James Horner - Legends of the Fall

Roque Baños - Alatriste (got it signed)

John Williams - Heartbeeps (Varèse Club release)

John Williams - 1941

The Varèse promos were part of the gift bag every attendant received. It also contained a DVD of last year's concert, but my copy, like others apparently, is faulty and shocks many times. The second part is pretty much unplayable because of this. :mellow:

I was planning on buying more, but then my wallet got stolen, along with a considerable amount of money inside (this would be the unfortunate event I mentioned in the Úbeda thread). :mellow:

Well, gift bag, I don't know what else to call it.

It contained these three CDs, the DVD, a Miklos Rózsa key chain and some general pamphlets and folders about the conference.

Yeah. Varèse was pretty present everywhere. And with Townson being the musical director for next year, I expect that presence to get even bigger (not that I have anything against Varèse).

I was planning on buying more, but then my wallet got stolen, along with a considerable amount of money inside (this would be the unfortunate event I mentioned in the Úbeda thread).

Sorry to hear that. I hope it didn't give you too much trouble what with IDs or credit cards...

You can't trust film music fans though! Greedy little bastards.

Yes, I know. It's a good thing.

Also, Broughton will be back next year. Hopefully he'll have learned Spanish by then as he said he would. :P

hopefully? You seem to prefer he gave the conferences in Spanish instead of English?

No, hopefully for him.

If he hasn't, we can catch him on it. He already pretty much called himself stupid for not knowing any spanish. :P

he didnt knew 'amigo, burritos, tortillas, fiesta' and the likes? ;)

Anyhoo,

Ordered Monster Squad and picked up Ratatouille, HP:OOTP and Transformers: The Movie expanded CD (I couldn't resist buying it)

Hercules - Pino Donaggio

The Seven-Ups & The Verdict - Ellis, Mandel

The Monster Squad - Broughton

Godzilla - Arnold

The 'Burbs - Goldsmith

And that Herrmann DVD from SAE.

Not quite purchased, but I've been in a really big John Williams mood recently, and decided to restore all of the Star Wars scores from my DVD backups, which I'd culled because of my lack of interest.

And what can I say... after one proper listen to ESB, I was an idiot to meddle with them :blink:

just added:

Hans Zimmer The Simpsons Movie: The Music

Hans Zimmer Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mans Chest

Im not that big of a Zimmer fan it just happened to be a Zimmer week. ;)

Not quite purchased, but I've been in a really big John Williams mood recently, and decided to restore all of the Star Wars scores from my DVD backups, which I'd culled because of my lack of interest.

And what can I say... after one proper listen to ESB, I was an idiot to meddle with them ;)

erm, what didja do exactly? :P

Ordered The 'Burbs, The Seven Ups/The Verdict and The Wind and The Lion off of SAE. I'm kind of glad that Donnagio's Hercules is sold out....I probably would have picked it up as well, and could really live without it.

Planet Earth. Majestic and sweeping. It's actually surprising that it's perfectly enjoyable during the whole 2-hour+ running time, but it is. Better than the two Blue scores, even if those had a better main theme. Highly recommended.

Ghost Rider. A very fun and noisy album. We don't get Spider-man 3, but this one is also pretty good.

Live Free or Die Hard. A pretty good modern action score. Nothing memorable though.

Sea Hawk. The Stromberg/Morgan re-recording. Nothing more needs to be said about the score. That said, it's probablytoo long for me to sit and listen to at one listening and I'm less and less into Golden Age scores. But this one is great.

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Dull.

Karol

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. Dull.

Karol

I've only heard the Silver Surfer theme from the score, and I thought it was not bad at all.