Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have any Poledouris, Indy?

If you don't, get your hands on Conan as soon as you can and forget about every other score buying priority. It's one of the very best scores of all time.

No, but I will add it to the List. Sorry, but my other scores will have higher priority over Conan, despite your overwhelming love for it. But again, thanks for the input!

Yes, but it doesn't have any clever wordgames in it's tracklist, so Indy4 will not find it interesting.

:o Very true!

I think indy4 should stick to his priorities. You all keep telling him to buy stuff that he already said has little interest in. Telling him to go buy a Golden Age score right now and to forget all his other plans is like telling someone to forget their dream and do something you think is better.

;) True again! But I do appreciate all the input, it is really great. I'm still sticking to my priorities, but I will defenetly consider all these new scores you guys have mentioned, and will try to get some of them later.

I think indy4 should stick to his priorities. You all keep telling him to buy stuff that he already said has little interest in. Telling him to go buy a Golden Age score right now and to forget all his other plans is like telling someone to forget their dream and do something you think is better.

He can't become a fan of golden age unless he gives it a chance. It's for his own good.

He can't become a fan of golden age unless he gives it a chance. It's for his own good.

I do have several Golden Age scores, and I do want to get Conan--I just want to get a few others first.

And just out of curiosity: I thought that the 80s were not technically part of the Golden Age?

Do you not know Steef at all? Of course it's not hyperbole!

Today's film music is overated, the Golden Age is not.

It is both overrated and underrated. Not given nearly as much attention as lesser modern scores are, but, the Golden Age is not perfect. Not everything by Steiner is brilliant film scoring.

Golden Age is too golden for me. A lot of brass writing. Most of it is really good, I like some, but I never really got into it.

Silver Age is just perfect for me. Ready for a jaw-dropper? I like modern JW the most, then Silver Age, then the 80's.

EDIT: O.K. So I'm going to give Golden Age another chance to impress me. What do you all recommend I listen to first to get me hooked in? Right now I'm "purchasing" a bunch Of Herrmann, Newman, Barry, and North.

When are the time excact zones for the Ages of music? Steef mentioned that the Golden Age started in the 60s, but I always thought the 80s were the Silver Age. Does anybody have the excact periods for GA, SA, and modern music?

Koray, I'm not the best person to talk to about the GA, but I really enjoy the scores to North by Northwest, Vertigo, and Torn Curtain (NOT the rejected score, the real one).

EDIT: I see you ahve the two by Herrmann I mentioned--I would still recomend Addison's Torn Curtain.

In that case, I like modern music the most (gasp!) followed by silver age, then golden age.

But I have the most music from modern day, then silver, then gold, so that could be a major factor in my decision.

That release was so lame. They left off the final song of the movie. The album has no sense of closure. I enjoy the album more for the orchestra than the singing. "Opening Title," and "Epiphany" are my favorites.

Koray, I too want to better familiarize myself with Golden Age stuff. I will say that Korngold's scores tend to be a lot of fun. I'm only really familiar with The Adventures of Robin Hood, which has some really nice material. The Sea Hawk is what I'm most familar with after that--I'm not, but the Main Titles are really good. Dmitri Tiomkin seems to be a solid Golden Age composer--I love his score for It's a Wonderful Life; unfortunately, it's only available in an incomplete rerecording conducted by David Newman, which is now out of print. Though it is incomplete and has some variations from the film versions of cues, it has a wealth of unused music, and as a listen it's delightful. Did you get any recording of Herrmann's The Day the Earth Stood Still? That's another good one. I'm kind of pulling stuff off the top of my head here...That's a start anyway. Good luck.

From Intrada I just purchased a couple of Broughton scores, The Blue and the Gray and Lost in Space. I probably would've waited to purchase it Thursday, but they've already sold over half of their stock, and I didn't really feel like taking chances with this one. Oh, well. Good stuff anyway. I look forward to getting them in.

Bruce Almighty: Wow, a really great score! I love every second of the instrumental music. Debney can write brilliant action music with Cutthroat Island, but I feel he is just as good writing beautiful music. This is a really top notch score, I recomend it to all! My fourth Debney score.

The problem is there's only about 15 minutes of score!! The entire album is 50 minutes, could they not have fit more than ten minutes of more music on the CD?

That release was so lame. They left off the final song of the movie. The album has no sense of closure. I enjoy the album more for the orchestra than the singing. "Opening Title," and "Epiphany" are my favorites.

I'm listening to the album (the so called 'complete' edition, not the dumb highlights one), and I've been loving it. I've never heard the musical before seeing the film. Absolutely loving it. After seeing the movie, I can't detach Depp's fantastic performance from the songs, even if they're not the most thrilling vocals anyone's ever heard. Bonham-Carter is perfectly fine. Spall and Rickman are fine, too. Again, I cannot separate their work in the film from the musical performances, which all feel right. Baron-Cohen is perfectly good, and Ed Sanders is friggin' great. And on top of the vocals, which I like, there's that marvelous music, which is terrific throughout.

I love the film, and the album is excellent to my ears. Now I need to get the original cast recording.

Like I said, I've nothing to compare it to. And I liked everyone in the movie (except for maybe Johanna), including Bonham Carter, although it felt like her part was short-changed.

Just got a bunch of John Williams Cds off Ebay.

*=Already own it

A.I. Artificial Intelligence*

American Journey

Amistad

E.T. (The 1996 album) (Already have both of the other albums)

Far and Away

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Hook*

J.F.K.

Jurassic Park*

Saving Private Ryan

Schindler's List

Summon the Heroes

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

The Patriot

I've got a lot to listen to.

You didn't have those before (the new ones).

No. I used to occasionally buy a score if I liked it in the movie, (For example Star Wars or LOTR) but I've only recently become seriously interested in film music and John Williams.

Redfoxden - enjoy those soundtracks, I have most of them and I love them!

I don't have either of the two Koray just got.

Ordered a Blue Box!

While not as good as FotR CR, I think it's a bit better than RotK CR.

;)

Like I said, I've nothing to compare it to. And I liked everyone in the movie (except for maybe Johanna), including Bonham Carter, although it felt like her part was short-changed.

I don't have the original stage album either, but I could tell right away that something was wrong with the casting. It might as well have read:

Sweeney Todd -- Jack Sparrow

Mrs. Lovett -- Bellatrix Lestrange

Judge Turpin -- Professor Snape

Beedle -- Wormtail

Pirelli -- Borat

So why are the leads inferior to some of the supporting characters in voice? It destroys the hierarchy of characters. For example, Ed Sanders is so much better a singer than Helena Bonham Carter that he can't help but overtake her in "Not While I'm Around." Alan Rickman, as a figure of authority, is undermined by his inability to comfortably hit his high notes. I only have the highlights album, so I can't speak for Timothy Spall's one song, but from what I remember in the film it was awful.

Of the actors clearly cast for their popularity, only Sacha Baron Cohen and Johnny Depp do well. Baron Cohen's lack of operatic training is evident, but he still sings well. Lots of character. Depp's singing is actually really good, but I'm not sure if I like the rock approach. Not sure at all.

Oh, and the more I listen to it, the more empty "Opening Title" seems. It's practically a karaoke track.

Went to the big library sale today. Since CDs were going for 50¢, I grabbed just about every score I could find (which wasn't very many). Picked up Edelman's The Skulls, Burwell's Conspiracy Theory, the Kunzel (or is that Gerhardt?) ROTJ recording, Vertigo, Master and Commander, Nightmare Before Christmas, plus Fantasia 2000 and a few other things. Some of them only have the booklet and no back cover or original case, and Nightmare doesn't even have anything... this drives the OCD freak in me a little nuts. The cheap bastard in me, however, is rather satisfied. :lol:

I see Intrada's released "Swashbuckler." I'm a big fan of swashbuckling scores, but I've never heard one note of this one. I love Addison's "Torn Curtain." Anybody know if this is worth it?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Although I already own it, I didn't have the actual cd and it was only $6.

Beatles For Sale by The Beatles. I've had "Baby's in Black" stuck in my head all day so I figured it was time to buy the cd.

How could i forget, I ordered The Blue Box.

;) Beatles For Sale

Redfoxden - enjoy those soundtracks, I have most of them and I love them!

Thanks, I am! :)

I just got my first order from MovieMusic.com:

monsignor.gif

northbynorthwest-vcl.gif

and WHERE EAGLES DARE / OPERATION CROSSBOW

Now playing: Monsignor :lol:

Monsignor is a really great score.

North by Northwest is also fantastic, it's my favorite Herrmann score (though I only have 5).

All for 5 euros each:

joyride.jpg - replacing my old CDR

61379.jpg - replacing some low-quality MP3s

63.jpg - been wanting to hear this one for several years

B000003JA9.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg - blind buy, as I didn't have any Jethro Tull so far. I like what I'm hearing.

Aqualong is a fantastic album. And if you like it, you should definitely check out War Child (my favorite Tull album).

[...] and Vaughan Williams's Sinfonia Antartica and Karl Jenkins's Diamond Music from Amazon.

Received that couple of days ago, now waiting for SAE and VS Club stuff. :lol: