Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The overture is great. "Fathoms Below" is pleasantly expanded. "Her Voice" and "If Only," of the new songs, are pretty good. I didn't care so much for the comic songs, but those usually aren't my thing, anyway. The lyrics seemed witty enough. "If Only (Reprise)" and "Finale" are awesome. I love the original "Happy Ending," but this ending definitely ups the ante.

I know this shouldn't be here, but Muse's new live album has been leaked on to the internet..and Knights of Cydonia opens with the Close Encounters theme on guitar! :S

"Fathoms Below" is pleasantly expanded.

Expanded as in, new material, or did they just use the original, longer version that can be heard in The Music Behind the Magic?

The Spiderwick Chronicles - Saw the film yesterday, and listened to the score in full yesterday. I am really torn between whether I like it or not. I love the first theme played during the Closing Credits track, which I guess would be the theme for the Griffin. James Horner really puts me in a tought spot for this one. As I listen to the score right now on my iPod, I am listening to something that sounds exactly like the music played as the Titanic is sinking (think metal clangs). I am going to have to give it a 5/10. Its like he didn't even try to come up with something new. Instead, he pulled out his old scores and copied them into the score for Spiderwick. More on this later.

Jumper- not bad....John Powell is not my favorite, but this one is listenable.

"Fathoms Below" is pleasantly expanded.

Expanded as in, new material, or did they just use the original, longer version that can be heard in The Music Behind the Magic?

Good question. I hadn't listened to that Music Behind the Magic version in forever. It looks like the Broadway version does incorporate some of that music (the verses about King Triton). Some of the original dialogue is back, too. There's also some new material revolving around Ariel's "ah ah ah" motif (Eric hears her singing and orders Grimsby to pursue the voice). The instrumental introduction from the film version is entirely missing. "Fathoms Below" doesn't transition to the "Part of Your World"-based "Main Title," as that stuff is basically covered by "Overture."

I know this shouldn't be here, but Muse's new live album has been leaked on to the internet..and Knights of Cydonia opens with the Close Encounters theme on guitar! :S

Nice.

I believe I already said American Gangster and Jumper. But I also got:

Vantage Point by Atli Orvarsson

Immortal Memory by Lisa Gerrard & Patrick Cassidy

All That Jazz by Ralph Burns

Also, I got the magnificent score to Lo Chiamavano King by Luis Bacalov! Many thanks to a certain someone :D If anyone has played the PS2 game Red Dead Revolver, you will probably be able to identify this score.

Recently bought off Amazon Used & New:

51t9VqZtl5L._SS500_.jpg

414403QJXZL._SS500_.jpg

It looks like this is going to be my last order for a while. I've been spending too much money. <_<

Inside joke....you had to be there.

Funny

Come on...it's a great historical anecdote of the board, nothing to be ashamed of!

Swashbuckler just arrived. The main theme sounded nice enough, but it almost sounded more western than it did swashbuckling. It's my second Addison score (first is Torn Curtain).

I'm a bit worried about Matilda--Varese usually ships pretty quickly, and I know a lot of people have recieved their copies already, and that less than 500 thing is a bit frightening. How many people haven't recieved them yet? I ordered mine before they shipped.

I'm a bit worried about Matilda--Varese usually ships pretty quickly, and I know a lot of people have recieved their copies already, and that less than 500 thing is a bit frightening. How many people haven't recieved them yet? I ordered mine before they shipped.

That's what you get for buying a David Newman score <_< I'm just joking.

When did Varese start shipping them? Give it a week before you become concerned.

That's what you get for buying a David Newman score :lol: I'm just joking.

When did Varese start shipping them? Give it a week before you become concerned.

<_< I take it you're not his biggest fan...

They shipped on the 28th (so I've heard). I'm not freaking out here, I'd just feel better if I could hold this CD in my hands ASAP.

Well, the Blue Box.

But also Ratatouille (finally). Haven't seen the film yet. Nice album. But, the opening of the end credits is just amazing. And a first great half to boot. The rest is very good too of course but doesn't seem to hold up to that opening, can't get over it :blink:

My order for Matilda is still "In Process" :blink:

I wouldn't be too concerned, Varese has about 5 of my orders from the last 5 years listed as "In Process".

In fact I didn't even receive a confirmation of this last batch, they just arrived on Saturday.

Waiting for the Blue Box as well as the 2CD Alien

I'm desperately searching for Broughton's Young Sherlock Holmes but it looks like it'll be impossible to track down a real copy.

Patience, they're bound to reissue that one in good time. Though you may find one if you shell out the usual 128$.

Surf's Up: A very unique score. "Legends" is beautiful, the rest sounds fun and exciting. I think I like Litte Miss Sunshine more, but this is still great! My second Danna score. Anyone who wants it, only 1000 copies were released!

My Basil Poledouris package arrived from MovieMusic.com. :cool:

His last score, The Legend Of Butch And Sundance, plus two others I've held off buying, Amerika and Farewell To The King.

Matilda just arrived. Haven't had a chance to hear it yet, though. It's my second Newman score, but my first by David :cool:

His last score, The Legend Of Butch And Sundance, plus two others I've held off buying, Amerika and Farewell To The King.

I thought Farewell To The King was oop and super expensive...was there a rerelease or something?

There Will Be Blood. Great music! This is not in any way "noise." This is beautiful, lyrical, sometimes funny music. It is also, of course, insane.

Matilda is still "In Process". What the hell?

Don't worry, my Ghostbusters is still in process, and that arrived on time, two years ago. :blink:

In my VS account, the status of three orders which I received ages ago, is still listed as "in process", and I don't remember ever receiving an e-mail shipping confirmation from them (just an order confirmation), and until now, I've ordered 13 times from VS. The service has always been great, though I live pretty far from California, where they're based, all shipments arrived in 10-14 days max with CDs in perfect condition.

So I think you can be perfectly calm, Mr. Breathmask, the postman will be stopping by with your (and mine, hopefully!) Matilda any day now. :blink:

I'm still waiting for my Christopher Young cd of AN UNFINISHED LIFE (Piano sketches). I have the Varese version already.

I got my MOH scores a couple of days ago and I'm ;) loving them.

Anyway, I told myself I wasn't going to buy cds for a while cause I'm running low on cash, but I happened to be in Half-Priced Books last night...

31D840EXDNL._AA115_.jpg

I was kind of on the fence about this. I've seen the movie and liked some of the score. The rest of it, not so much.

31W13ESNMTL._AA115_.jpg

This is my first Goldenthal score so I'm not quite sure what to expect.

31Q54MQKNML._AA115_.jpg

This actually was on my 'to buy' list.

They also had a few other scores. One of them was James Horner's 'Four Feathers'. Is that any good?