Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

Some of us do give a composer chance after chance after chance.

Not all of us base it on just 2 or 3 scores. But after so many scores it's very doubtful one will change their style or write something interesting.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :P

Now I can get rid of that crappy sounding, illegally downloaded version I had and not feel guilty anymore! :)

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure they didn't post that up because you requested them to. Amazon has mp3 downloads now, so they pretty much have the same things on iTunes. Allied Assault has been on iTunes for a long time.

Some of us do give a composer chance after chance after chance.

Not all of us base it on just 2 or 3 scores. But after so many scores it's very doubtful one will change their style or write something interesting.

That's my view of David Newman. He'll never change, so I just stay away from him.

Double Post turned into ->

Here's the stuff I've received from my trade thus far:

The Constant Gardener (Iglesias)

Warhawk (Lennertz)

The Legend Of Zorro (Horner)

Mighty Joe Young (Horner)

The Pelican Brief (Horner)

Commando Limited Edition (Horner)

Timeline Complete Rejected Score (Goldsmith)

North And South 4CD (Conti)

The Heart Of Me (Hooper)

The Roost (Grace)

Contact (Silvestri)

Adaptation (Burwell)

Promised Land (Howard)

The Package (Howard)

Mumford (Howard)

Fried Green Tomatoes (T.Newman)

The Salton Sea (T.Newman)

The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad (Herrmann)

The 3 Worlds Of Gulliver (Herrmann)

Mysterious Island (Herrmann)

Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Herrmann)

The Snows Of Kilimanjaro/Five Fingers (Herrmann)

The Greatest Story Ever Told 3CD Collection (A.Newman)

The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad (Rosza)

Death Of A Salesman (North)

Cleopatra 2CD (North)

Sunset Boulevard (Waxman)

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :P

Now I can get rid of that crappy sounding, illegally downloaded version I had and not feel guilty anymore! :)

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I'm pretty sure they didn't post that up because you requested them to. Amazon has mp3 downloads now, so they pretty much have the same things on iTunes. Allied Assault has been on iTunes for a long time.

With only 2 new cues I believe, the rest are taken from previous MOH scores.

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :)

Couldn't you have bought the game at a bargain bin and just rename the mp3s from there?

To be quite honest, I didn't think of that. I was under the impression that getting music off games was difficult.

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :D

I know, I was just kidding. :P I just found it amusing that they put it up a couple days after I requested it. :P

Yes gotta love that section of music, also worked well in Red Heat, 48 Hours, Another 48 Hours and while no steel drum the melody was used in Clear And Present Danger.

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :D

Couldn't you have bought the game at a bargain bin and just rename the mp3s from there?

To be quite honest, I didn't think of that. I was under the impression that getting music off games was difficult.

I know, I was just kidding. :) I just found it amusing that they put it up a couple days after I requested it. :P

It sometimes is, sometimes isnt

It's only 5 cues total. None that are from other scores I believe.

MoH: Allied Assault (Main Theme)

North Africa

Schmerzen

Sniper Town

Tiger Tank

Oops wrong score, I was thinking of MOH: Vanguard.

Listening to the Varese Club Commando I received. I love it! Such funny music. The little steel Caribbean drums crack me up.

Yeah, that's hillarious, if I have a bad day, all I have to do is put that score on and everything lightens up at once :sigh: Though, where did you get that CD, off eBay? It's been sold out for ages on Varese's website.

Listening to the Varese Club Commando I received. I love it! Such funny music. The little steel Caribbean drums crack me up.

Yeah, that's hillarious, if I have a bad day, all I have to do is put that score on and everything lightens up at once :( Though, where did you get that CD, off eBay? It's been sold out for ages on Varese's website.

"Listening to the Varese Club Commando I received." :P

It's only 5 cues total. None that are from other scores I believe.

MoH: Allied Assault (Main Theme)

North Africa

Schmerzen

Sniper Town

Tiger Tank

Oops wrong score, I was thinking of MOH: Vanguard.

Vanguard had two track for the (then) unreleased Airborne. The rest was from the other scores.

Well I was going to finally buy Stanley & Iris from Varese, but it seems they no longer sell it! :lol:

I'll just pick it up from Amazon marketplace for $15.99 ;)

Also thinking about making some other purchases from SAE. Day Of Anger and Battle Of Algiers look nice.

This time I went for some classical music. I got two Deutsche Grammophon albums:

Holst's "The Planets" (with two additional "Pomp and Circumstance" marches by Edward Elgar)

and

Gershwin's "Rapsody in blue" cd (including "An American in Paris", "Prelude for Piano no. 2", "Cuban Overture" and "Porgy and Bess" Suite).

Great music for little money :P

Yes, we're still stuck with that lousy non-anamorphic LaserDisc rip.

Luckily though, as far as the audio goes, we've been able to reconstruct with a fair amount of precision the original intended version of the sneeze. I can't share the files though, as it violates board rules, but detailed instructions on how to edit the sneeze yourself can be found in the board archives.

tideland.jpg

Music by Mychael and Jeff Danna. This was a strange strange film, and the music was deeply haunting. Beautiful harmonies. Before this film came out I used to visit the film's official website where I learned how to play the main theme by ear.

Got these at a sale at Tower Records for a total of under $30

Didn't Tower close a year or two ago???

BTW, Signs is one of my altime favorite soundtracks.

Yes, we're still stuck with that lousy non-anamorphic LaserDisc rip.

Luckily though, as far as the audio goes, we've been able to reconstruct with a fair amount of precision the original intended version of the sneeze. I can't share the files though, as it violates board rules, but detailed instructions on how to edit the sneeze yourself can be found in the board archives.

Can't you put it a tutorial on Youtube?

Got these at a sale at Tower Records for a total of under $30

Didn't Tower close a year or two ago???

Only in the US

whats the green album?

its Williams conducting a bunch of classical excerpts...

What performers?

Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra / Leonard Bernstein

Chicago Symphony Orchestra / James Levine

Boston Symphony Orchestra / Williams Steinberg

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra / Norman del Mar

Philharmonia Orchestra / Giuseppe Sinopoli

I haven't finished Matilda yet, but what I've heard so far sounds pretty good.

I am so glad I purchased North by Northwest and Heartbeeps. Excellent, excellent, excellent. My only knock I can see on the latter is that, while it has the sound and richness of cues that one would expect from Williams of '81, it doesn't seem quite as developed as it should be, although I suspect this is a fault of the film. "Val's First Drive" is a good example. Based on the sample clip, I was expecting a track of fun but suspenseful chase music, but the chunk heard on the sample is just about all of that material for the track (although what's there is great). It's almost like I want more of it when it's over. Nonetheless, it's a great score, with terrific themes. The Love Theme should go down among the classics, the main theme is very good (would've liked to hear it in the brass more, though--I think it was always performed electronically), and Crimebuster...man, what a treat! Though it is dated, it's still a lot of fun to listen to (does the usage of drum kit remind anyone else of The Goonies?). Great stuff.

Just placed an order of used CD's off Amazon:

Far From Heaven (no idea why it took me this long)

The Italian Job (First Powell score that caught my ear in the film...have mp3s of it)

Devil's Advocate (dirt cheap, heard there was some good stuff in it)

Good Will Hunting (Love the theme. Plus, I've recently grown very fond of mid-late 90's Elfman)

A Simple Plan (see above. When recently watching the film, the score really struck a chord)

Also, got Jeff Rona's White Squall off ebay. I've heard good stuff about it, and recently reading Rona's terrible book about film scoring, remembered about it. Hope his music is better than his writing.

A load of Goldsmith arrived from SAE:

Logan's Run (FSM) - I can finally (!) retire my old Chapter 5 release.

Christus Apollo & Co - Replacing my old CDR.

Mr. Baseball - Never heard it before, but it was cheap. I nearly laughed out loud when I played it. Totally lame, in the best possible way. :thumbup:

Coming up next: A load of Poledouris. And ROTK:CR from Amazon.us, but with customs sure to grab this one, it's bound to be late & expensive.

Beauty and the Beast:My third Menken score. I really like it so far (I'm only on "The Mob Song" so far).

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: My fourth Menken score. I've only heard "The Bells of Notre Dame," but that song is absolutely fantastic. One of the greatest songs I've ever heard, very epic sounding. The lyrics in this song are just exceptional, also (and I normally don't care about lyrics).

I'm struggling to decide on my next order. At Intrada I'm looking the Amazing Stories Anthologies, Alien, and Buck Rogers. How are the Amazing Stories Anthologies?

trent- who is frustrated that The Planet of The Apes Tv Series is out of print

I'm struggling to decide on my next order. At Intrada I'm looking the Amazing Stories Anthologies, Alien, and Buck Rogers. How are the Amazing Stories Anthologies?

Outstanding and well worth purchasing.

Beauty and the Beast:My third Menken score. I really like it so far (I'm only on "The Mob Song" so far).

The Hunchback of Notre Dame: My fourth Menken score. I've only heard "The Bells of Notre Dame," but that song is absolutely fantastic. One of the greatest songs I've ever heard, very epic sounding. The lyrics in this song are just exceptional, also (and I normally don't care about lyrics).

Wait until you hear Hellfire

They just couldn't make it easy on me. They had to make the pre-April release batch include a Broughton. *sigh*

Ordered:

This Girl for Hire - Bruce Broughton

One Night With the King - J.A.C. Redford

I've got my eye on a few scores to include with the biggies coming up.

The Constant Gardener (Iglesias)

Warhawk (Lennertz)

The Legend Of Zorro (Horner)

Mighty Joe Young (Horner)

The Pelican Brief (Horner)

Commando Limited Edition (Horner)

Timeline Complete Rejected Score (Goldsmith)

North And South 4CD (Conti)

The Heart Of Me (Hooper)

The Roost (Grace)

Contact (Silvestri)

Adaptation (Burwell)

Promised Land (Howard)

The Package (Howard)

Mumford (Howard)

Fried Green Tomatoes (T.Newman)

The Salton Sea (T.Newman)

The 7th Voyage Of Sinbad (Herrmann)

The 3 Worlds Of Gulliver (Herrmann)

Journey To The Center Of The Earth (Herrmann)

The Snows Of Kilimanjaro/Five Fingers (Herrmann)

The Greatest Story Ever Told 3CD Collection (A.Newman)

The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad (Rosza)

Death Of A Salesman (North)

Cleopatra 2CD (North)

Sunset Boulevard (Waxman)

Here are the rest of the scores I received from that trade:

In The Bedroom (T.Newman)

In Bruges (Burwell)

Doc Hollywood (Burwell)

Sleuth (Doyle)

Another 48 Hrs. (Horner)

Enchanted (Menken)

Off Limits (Howard)

Dying Young (Howard)

Scent Of A Woman (T.Newman)

Ben-Hur (Rosza)

Intersection (Howard)

Obsession (Herrmann)

Spartacus (North)

Grand Canyon (Howard)

Indeed, I've never heard anything quite like that song. Also, "Sanctuary" is as powerful a piece as has ever been written for a Disney film.

They are (IMO) Menken's absolute best. Enjoy them.

For Beauty, I think the best parts are in the instrumental music, not in the actual songs (although "Be Our Guest" comes close). For Hunchback, I can listen to every single track on the CD. I'm really enjoying "The Bells of Notre Dame."

Indeed, I've never heard anything quite like that song. Also, "Sanctuary" is as powerful a piece as has ever been written for a Disney film.

I love both of those too. A shame the film wasn't so popular, as the score is rather overlooked by many (including me).

Christus Apollo & Co - Replacing my old CDR.

On SACD hopefully?

Nope. Had forgotten there were two different release. But I can't play the SACD layer anyway, and it certainly was worth $8 (or whatever it was) and free shipping. ;)

They are (IMO) Menken's absolute best. Enjoy them.

For Beauty, I think the best parts are in the instrumental music, not in the actual songs (although "Be Our Guest" comes close).

"The Mob Song" has been one of my favorites as well. A well-done production overall, though. I've seen Hunchback probably once, so I'm really not as familiar with it.

Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who! and Stop-Loss by John Powell.

Horton is just amazing. Definitely a step up from the mediocre action filler music he did for Jumper. This is signature Powell, I recommend it to any of those who like his music.

Haven't had a chance to listen to Stop-Loss yet.