Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51o6RiI4CzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:nono: What features does this limited edition have? I've never heard of it.

I went to the CD store, and I was deciding between 3 possiblilities: Kung Fu Panda, The Illusionist, and The Happening. I listened to the sound clips on the first 2, and I loved them. The third didn't have soundclips up yet, but I had heard them on iTunes and they were less than amazing. So I got KFP and Illusionist. I'm sure I'll get TH eventually, but right now these were more tempting.

So, that's my 10th Zimmer soundtrack, my 4th Powell soundtrack, and my 1st Glass soundtrack.

The Illusionist is a very nice score, and one of the more varied Glass scores.

After giving it a first listen, I'd say much more than a nice score--it's fantastic! Beautiful, magical, wondrous, mysterious, exhilerating, this is truly a knock-out score. I love it!

KFP is a great score as well, though not as good as The Illusionist. Very energetic and exciting.

BTW, I love your sig, Morlock.

51o6RiI4CzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

:) What features does this limited edition have? I've never heard of it.

It includes the soundtrack CD and some book thingy. Not having seen the movie yet, and being a fan of The Village, 7 euros (less than a cinema ticket) was cheap enough for me to blindly buy the regular DVD. And getting the CD for 3 euros more seemed like a good idea, too, considering the score, unlike the movie, was generally well-received.

You like The Illusionist?? That score is a piece of sh*t. The same crap Philip Glass. You may as well should have bought Cassandra's Dream, or Notes On A Scandal, or Pop-a-squatsi, they're all exactly the same.

Should have got The Happening instead.

Well I don't know about his other scores, but The Illusionist is fantastic. Much better than KFP, though I like that score as well. Just listen to "The Orange Tree." The whole thing is good, but it really gets amazing at 0:20.

You like The Illusionist?? That score is a piece of sh*t. The same crap Philip Glass. You may as well should have bought Cassandra's Dream, or Notes On A Scandal, or Pop-a-squatsi, they're all exactly the same.

In case people were wondering, the quoted post is incorrect.

Well he does listen to Zimmer.

:blink:

Yes I do, but that doesn't change the fact that Glass does the same thing for everything he composes. I'm not familiar with his classical work, but to me, it seems he isn't cut out for films.

Everyone points out Zimmer copies himself, pff, which composer doesn't. It's called style. But Glass pushes that to a whole new level. Notes On A Scandal is barely acceptable. Cause that score can work as a standalone score, but since it's used in The Illusionist, Cassandra's Dream, probably The Hours, Poppasquatsi, and his other stuff, it loses credibility.

His music is basically a loop track that drones in and out and repeats itself over and over and over and over and over, with basically no build of variance. After 10 minutes, I have a headache.

Everyone points out Zimmer copies himself, pff, which composer doesn't. It's called style.

No it's not.

I picked up The Illusionist after watching it again for a second time and noticing the (aforementioned) great main titles. Wish it had been used more in the film, as opposed to book-ending it.

Don't you just love the Yanks biching about their own native composers??? You don't hear the Finns criticizing Sibelius' music!!!

(from FSM; I also ordered Don Davis's The Beast).

so what do you think of The Beast?

I think it's pretty good for a TV movie.

I agree. I'd never go so far as to call it a masterpiece (or maybe such a fine work as The Matrix scores), but it certainly is a very decent score to a very decent movie.

Don't you just love the Yanks biching about their own native composers??? You don't hear the Finns criticizing Sibelius' music!!!

I don't care if he's American, he sucks.

Everyone points out Zimmer copies himself, pff, which composer doesn't. It's called style.

No it's not.

O.K. So Star Wars, Superman, and Indiana Jones sounding pretty much the same isn't style? What about Nixon being the same as The Imperial March, which was also used in The Jungle Chase from Indy 4? If it's not style, I guess JW is a hack too for copying himself. Like I said, EVERY composer does it, it is a part of their personal style. However, Philip Glass is pretty much note-for-note.

I bet I could pick 1 track from 5 of his film scores and play them to indy4, and he wouldn't be able to tell which score they're from.

Got:

Donnie Darko - Michael Andrews

World Trade Center - Craig Armstrong

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within - Elliot Goldenthal

Back To Titanic - James Horner

I don't care if he's American, he sucks.

Well one things for certain...you suck!!!

O.K. So Star Wars, Superman, and Indiana Jones sounding pretty much the same isn't style? What about Nixon being the same as The Imperial March, which was also used in The Jungle Chase from Indy 4? If it's not style, I guess JW is a hack too for copying himself. Like I said, EVERY composer does it, it is a part of their personal style. However, Philip Glass is pretty much note-for-note.

I bet I could pick 1 track from 5 of his film scores and play them to indy4, and he wouldn't be able to tell which score they're from.

:lol:

Is that puzzled look on your face for the John Williams statement? It's true. It is known that The Imperial March is in Nixon, and you can hear parts in Indy 4's The Jungle Chase. It's a good evil theme, he should use it more than once.

As for Superman (Theme), Star Wars (Theme), and Indiana Jones (Raiders March): they are all very similar sounding. You immediately know it's John Williams because of the style.

I'm unfamiliar with Nixon, but I don't know where you're hearing the Imperial March in "The Jungle Chase."

Those themes are similar in orchestration and tone, but they are not really all that similar in melody. They're all brassy major themes for heroic characters and adventures, in the orchestrational style of John Williams. That's all. That's not the same as "copying" anything. There's definitely a difference.

The entire second half of The Jungle Chase is filled with Imperial March-esque music. Clearer examples can be found at 1:56 and 2:29 in the track. It particularly picks up from 2:29 and beyond.

The first track from Nixon is The Imperial March in disguise.

The reason Superman, Indiana Jones, and Star Wars sound slightly alike (but not that similiar, mind you) is because they all require similiar scores. Could you imagine something like "The Tale of Viktor Navorski" playing as Superman flies by the camera? Or perhaps something from Images?

Now, you can argue that Zimmer generally scores action films that require the same type of score, thus his repetitive scores are fitting. But JW has proved time and time again that he is capable of scoring other types of films--Images, The Terminal, Harry Potter, Close Encounters, Jaws, Catch Me If You Can, AI, Witches of Eastwick, Amistad, Heartbeeps, Saving Private Ryan, The Lost World, and many more, all have different sounds from those of SW, Superman, and Indy.

However, I don't think that SW, Superman, and Indy are that similiar, either. Several key tracks are similiar sounding, but as a whole, they're very different. There was never a theme as beautiful as the "Love Theme from Superman" in Star Wars, there was never something as exotic as "The Map Room: Dawn" in Superman. . . .

But having said that, I recognize that Zimmer does depart from his more well known action style--The Holiday and The Lion King proove that. But he NEVER gets as daring or different as JW, we have yet to here Zimmer's Images.

I don't have Nixon, but the "Jungle Chase"/"Imperial March" thing is a bit far fetched. "The Imperial March" is an evil, dark theme. Those selections from "The Jungle Chase" seem to add tension and risk more than just complement an evil character or situation. They sound more like they belong in "Desert Chase" than in "The Imperial March."

But having said that, I recognize that Zimmer does depart from his more well known action style--The Holiday and The Lion King proove that. But he NEVER gets as daring or different as JW, we have yet to here Zimmer's Images.

The Thin Red Line. Coincidentally, it's his finest achievement.

The Thin Red Line. Coincidentally, it's his finest achievement.

Insert a very large IMO after that. Nah, just kidding.

I can't stand the score personally, and I know a few others here don't particularly like it either, but that selection is definitely a taste thing.

You're really going to get into it, or it will lose you completely. It's worth checking out though.

Others better-versed in Zimmer's discography than I can discuss that side of things, but those bits from "The Jungle Chase" are definitely not Imperial March. If you're gonna go with that, you might as well say every charging, militaristic, menacing bit of music is the Imperial March.

I can see where Koray is coming from with Jungle Chase. You mean it sounds like the ostinato in the Imperial March? If so then I sort of agree...it is similar, but not similar enough to be considered a take on it, as far as I can hear.

Just ordered two new Varese Sarabande CD Club titles (Poledouris's Iron Eagle and Sheffer's In a Shallow Grave). ^_^ :D Though it'll be waiting game again, they only start shipping after June 30th and another 2 weeks before they reach me ... :D

The entire second half of The Jungle Chase is filled with Imperial March-esque music.

"Esque" isn't copying

It is tension filled music, that's the only real similarity. It is not even close to the similiarities between 6:09 of "The Battle" (Gladiator) and 1:08 of "The Black Pearl" (PotC, which Zimmer wrote the themes to).

For the record, I like all those scores, and I do recognize that Williams has self-plagarised at some points. But to say that Williams copies himself to the same extent that Zimmer does is not true. Horner on the other hand...

But to say that Williams copies himself to the same extent that Zimmer does is not true. Horner on the other hand...

How dare you mention James Horner in the same breath as Hans Zimmer. The man is a friggin' genius compared to that two dimensional Kraut. :)