Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns Of The Patriots

A knockout score by Harry Gregson-Williams. I thought the full release would come on the Special Edition of the game I purchased, but it was just a 16-track version. So, I'm importing the 2CD release from Japan.

Brilliant video game scoring right here. The MGS series has always had a stellar soundtrack.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Happening: After seeing the film yesterday, I realized that the impression I had about the score from the iTunes samples was incorrect, and this is a must have score. The "Main Titles" are haunting and beautiful. I can't wait to get to "Mrs. Jones," that was the best part of the score that I remember from the film. My 15th JNH soundtrack.

Also, is the part where the bodies are falling off the buidling in the soundtrack? Just by skimming over the track titles, I think not. That's a shame, if so.

EDIT: Nevermind, just heard it in "Central Park." Damn, this music is awesome!

Just ordered two new Varese Sarabande CD Club titles (Poledouris's Iron Eagle and Sheffer's In a Shallow Grave).

Oh yeah, I also ordered some Jerry - Patton/Tora! Tora! Tora! and The Final Conflict, forgot to mention it. :D

I caved in and bought Delta Force.

I've always loved that silly theme.

DAMMIT!!! I totally missed this one. Sold out everywhere. Why, oh why, did I not check out Intrada's site this morning?

I'll live without it....but I've also always loved that cheesy film.

I caved in and bought Delta Force.

I've always loved that silly theme.

DAMMIT!!! I totally missed this one. Sold out everywhere. Why, oh why, did I not check out Intrada's site this morning?

I'll live without it....but I've also always loved that cheesy film.

Up to $101.50 in this auction, with 6 days left.

I wish I had reacted as fast as I did with this one for Baby!

Recieved Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within from a seller on amazon today. I'm enjoying it. It's also my first Goldenthal - any reccomendations for where I should go from here with him?

Thanks, I just ordered Interview With the Vampire, being that it was the cheapest. Perhaps I'll do Batman next, being that I have heard good things about it.

Interview is a good one, but I like Alien3 the most - it's overwhelming, unless you don't puke hearing Penderecki'esque music.

Michael Collins is also great, as is Demolition Man. Batman Forever probably is the most instantly enjoyable Goldenthal score, but I agree with Marian, Sphere is stunning.

I do have some interest in Sphere. I've never seen the film, but I do love the book.

I like the movie, it has a good sense of claustrophobia... but when you've read the book, you realise that the movie really (sadly) doesn't make sense at all. It's an excellent book though, and I guess the movie overall still stays truer to it than JP does to its book.

I like the movie, it has a good sense of claustrophobia... but when you've read the book, you realise that the movie really (sadly) doesn't make sense at all. It's an excellent book though, and I guess the movie overall still stays truer to it than JP does to its book.

I'm sorry, but I find this movie downright hilarious. Something wrong happens on the ship, and we have little Dustin Hoffman with his big hair piece running around the ship confused as hell. Also, i love it when Queen Latifah has that horrible death scene, and Hoffman is just sitting in the eating quarters watching it safely on a monitor as if he's watching the Discovery channel.

Good book, though.

I do have some interest in Sphere. I've never seen the film, but I do love the book.

I haven't seen the film, but the book was fantastic. One of Crichton's best, behind Jurassic Park and Timeline.

I'm probably the only one hanging around here, but I'm a big Coldplay fan, so I just got finished listening to their new album, Viva La Vida.

If you like Coldplay, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't love this album. If you don't like Coldplay, I doubt this will do anything to change your mind.

Also, they sound more like U2 than ever -- no surprise, given that Brian Eno was one of the producers.

I haven't seen the film, but the book was fantastic. One of Crichton's best, behind Jurassic Park and Timeline.

My favorite Crichton novel is The Great Train Robbery, actually. It's the one that I can just pick up and read any time no matter how many times I read it before. You have to love it at the end...

"Why did you do it?"

"I wanted the money."

The one Crichton book that left the biggest mark on me, though I've only read it once, is Travels. It's basically an autobiography but it has some really good moments in it.

I've seen the movie maybe two or three times. What I like about it so much is that Crichton wrote and directed it, so it remained close to his original vision with the novel. I haven't seen it recently enough to make a call on whether I like the book or the movie better though. I should probably get the dvd at some point.

I'm probably the only one hanging around here, but I'm a big Coldplay fan, so I just got finished listening to their new album, Viva La Vida.

If you like Coldplay, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't love this album. If you don't like Coldplay, I doubt this will do anything to change your mind.

Also, they sound more like U2 than ever -- no surprise, given that Brian Eno was one of the producers.

My brother's a big fan, and I like 2 or 3 songs from the new album.

I like a reasonable amount of 'normal' music (around 300 songs on here) but film music gets 90% of my attention when seeking new material. I generally get stuff I hear on the radio or in a movie that I like.

It's brilliantly written and directed by Crichton, has wonderful performances ("'e's not moy son!") and an outstanding Goldsmith score... what more could one wish for?

Check out www.hans-zimmer.com they posted 3 really cool clips from John Powell's score to Hancock the 2nd clip has a beautiful theme halfway through likely his main theme.

My favorite Crichton novel is The Great Train Robbery, actually. It's the one that I can just pick up and read any time no matter how many times I read it before. You have to love it at the end...

"Why did you do it?"

"I wanted the money."

The one Crichton book that left the biggest mark on me, though I've only read it once, is Travels. It's basically an autobiography but it has some really good moments in it.

I haven't read Travels, maybe I should look into that.

I must say, Next is probably the worst book I've ever read. No central plot, dozens of subplots, most of which don't ever resolve. In fact, the only two that do have such weak conclusions that it is much less than satisfactory. And every other page seems to contain some sort of sexual reference, it gets annoying after a while. I really hope he does better next time, but I'm willing to give him another shot since Next was pretty much the only Crichton book I didn't like. The others that I have read have ranged from good to fantastic.

indy4 - who really needs to re read some of the good ones

The Happening by James Newton Howard

Not his most striking work, but quite a good listen actually. This is not a kind of score from which you any remember themes or standout cues. Main theme (or motif) isn't very memorable, but very effective. It's curious how I tend to like all JNH music to Shyamalan's films, yet underestimate pretty much all the rest (there are exceptions). Some nice tense writing. It's the kind of album that sounds better than any description might suggest. I like it, even if I can't quite explain why. If anything, a solid suspense music. Recommended.

Karol

In a sign that I have too many CDs, I'm going thru my soundtrack collection and I can't find Herrmann's score to Taxi Driver.

Now I could have sworn I bought that so I go check my database that I enter new CDs into whenever I buy them. I can't find an entry for it. I could have sworn I had it but I guess not. Perhaps I had borrowed from the library.

Anyhoo that gave me an excuse to go shopping. So I bought Michael Kamen's Open Range and X-Men and Herrmann's Taxi Driver.

"Why did you do it?"

"I wanted the money."

I haven't read Travels, maybe I should look into that.

I must say, Next is probably the worst book I've ever read. No central plot, dozens of subplots, most of which don't ever resolve. In fact, the only two that do have such weak conclusions that it is much less than satisfactory. And every other page seems to contain some sort of sexual reference, it gets annoying after a while. I really hope he does better next time, but I'm willing to give him another shot since Next was pretty much the only Crichton book I didn't like. The others that I have read have ranged from good to fantastic.

indy4 - who really needs to re read some of the good ones

Travels is definately worth looking into. It's a collection of stories and events from his adult life up to the point it was published, and some of them were really very interesting and even amusing.

I agree with you about Next. I had really wanted to like it becuase I think the concept behind behind it was interesting, but in the end it really just failed. It's not one that I plan on rereading any time soon.

He's been pretty good lately about getting a new book out there every two years though, so going by that schedule there should be an announcement on his website about a new book sometime in July or August then a release in November/December. He said during his tour for Next that his next book would be a Jurassic Park style adventure - so I have some high hopes for that.

I agree with you about Next. I had really wanted to like it becuase I think the concept behind behind it was interesting, but in the end it really just failed. It's not one that I plan on rereading any time soon.

Yes. I thought the stuff he came up with to show how ridiculous and dangerous the whole patent issue has become was quite good, and there were a few (very few) nice bits... but that's about it, not a good book in the end (and it didn't look like it was going to be after the first few chapters).

I didn't think Lost World was much better though.

Most of his novels post-Jurassic Park are lackluster. I enjoyed Timeline and parts of State of Fear, but that's about it. He's not exactly in his prime anymore.

On topic, I picked up Dave Brubeck's Time Out today, great jazz album.

Check out www.hans-zimmer.com they posted 3 really cool clips from John Powell's score to Hancock the 2nd clip has a beautiful theme halfway through likely his main theme.

Thanks for the heads up. I think that all three samples are promising. A bit cluttered...but promising.

He said during his tour for Next that his next book would be a Jurassic Park style adventure - so I have some high hopes for that.

:) Sweet!

Film music hardly makes up the majority of what I listen to.

I agree the new Coldplay album is very good its easily their best.