First Knight

Lost in Space - Broughton + pop songs

Somewhere in Time

Total=$20

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought The Fury for twenty Dollars! YES! So, what is generally considered better: the film recording, or the album recording?

I'm afraid you have to find out on your own this time.

Fair enough, I was just curious to know.

Also, I got the original Arista CD of Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday. Forgive me if this another unwelcome question, but what all on the expanded release is not on this one?

recently got:

Chicago (or Chicago II, depending on who you are)

Goodfellas soundtrack

Fresh Cream

just ordered:

The Boys From Brazil

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids

still waiting for (should come tomorrow, hopefully):

Looney Tunes: Back in Action

Star Trek: Nemesis

Timeline (rejected score)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Chicago (or Chicago II, depending on who you are)

The album with the excellent Danny Elfman Jazz pieces?

heh...sorry. i guess i should have been more specific. it's actually the album Chicago (or Chicago II, depending on who you are) by the band Chicago.

Also, I got the original Arista CD of Close Encounters of the Third Kind yesterday. Forgive me if this another unwelcome question, but what all on the expanded release is not on this one?

A poo tonne.

What is a "tonne", I am wondering.

EDIT: Oh, never mind, a quick search shows that it is British spelling for "ton". My apologies. Well, does the expanded release have previously missing significant cues, or what?

The Special Edition has about 37 mins more of music. That's not counting the Disco version of the theme that on the original album. The Varese album has the original end credits while the expanded CD has the "When You Wish Across The Stars" version of the end credits that appear in the Special Edition. Plus Williams combined several cues on the original.

Regular CD:

1. Main Title And Mountain Visions (03:13)

2. Nocturnal Pursuit (02:31)

3. The Abduction Of Barry (04:28)

4. I Can't Believe It's Real (03:18)

5. Climbing Devil's Tower (02:05)

6. The Arrival Of Sky Harbor (04:27)

7. Night Seige (06:18)

8. The Conversation (02:19)

9. The Appearance Of The Visitors (04:49)

10. Resolution And End Title (06:10)

Special Edition:

1. Opening: Let There Be Light (00:46)

2. Navy Planes (02:07)

3. Lost Squadron (02:23)

4. Roy's First Encounter (02:41)

5. Encounter At Crescendo Summit (01:21)

6. Chasing UFOs (01:18)

7. False Alarm (01:42)

8. Barry's Kidnapping (06:19)

9. The Cover-Up (02:26)

10. Stars And Trucks (00:44)

11. Forming The Mountain (01:50)

12. TV Reveals (01:50)

13. Roy And Jillian On The Road (01:10)

14. The Mountain (03:31)

15. Who Are You People? (01:35)

16. The Escape (02:18)

17. The Escape (Alternate) (02:40)

18. Trucking (02:01)

19. Climbing The Mountain (02:32)

20. Outstretch Hands (02:48)

21. Lightshow (03:43)

22. Barnstorming (04:26)

23. The Mothership (04:34)

24. Wild Signals (04:12)

25. The Returnees (03:45)

26. The Visitors/ Bye/ End Titles: The Special Edition (12:31)

Oh I bought Honey I Shrunk The Kids.

The expanded CE3K is an entirely different listening experience. The original album was a pretty choppy edit job. If you can, go for the expanded. I never truly appreciated this score until the expanded version came out. Plus, the sound quality is better. Plus they hold that one low note for a moment after the little boy says "Goodbye!" and then the orchestra swells with the liftoff of the mothership. It's just a little pause, but timing is everything.

Was never a big fan. Die Hard is probably the only score of his I really like. Brazil is wonderfully weird, but it's Gilliam so that's expected.

I would suggest giving Mona Lisa a few good listens; it's a score that grows on you.

Die Hard is an awesome score especially the complete version.

Anyways I do have Honey, I Shrunk The Kids and Jerry Goldsmith: His Last Recordings on order through MovieMusic.

I did enjoy some of Kamen's work, like Robin Hood, but mostly I found his music a bit unimaginative. He certainly was a good composer though, and I would have liked to hear more of him.

I ordered Dinotopia by Jones recently, but the order has apparently been lost. Should have been here weeks ago. :shakehead:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Um, did you buy these separately or as part of the five disc Indiana Jones box set?

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom

The Last Crusade

Um, did you buy these separately or as part of the five disc Indiana Jones box set?

separately. i already had KOTCS and while it would have been nice to get all the nifty extras, i opted to get just the three scores instead.

are you surprised his screenname ought to tell you his thoughts are often "foggy".

"Nifty extras"? The fifth disc with a significant chunk of the set's unreleased music is a "nifty extra"?

5123-9434.gif

You chose...poorly.

Ha, nice one John.

Aloha did choose poorly. Please no comments from the peanut gallery (Koray).

The interview and concert arrangement of the Raiders March are unnecessary.

The extra track from Raiders of the Lost Ark is superior to the Well of the Souls track that's on the single Raiders disc.

The extra music from Temple of Doom is good, but it's not better than anything on the single ToD disc.

But the extra music from Last Crusade do enhance the single disc Last Crusade, particularly the Wrong Choice, Right Choice track.

You saved $25. Bravo. Enjoy that tank of gas.

The fifth disc is essential to making TOD and TLC a rounded listening experience

That is true, plus it contains some of the best newly released material.

Don't forget the Raiders material. "Discovery the Ark" is great.

That's what I said!

The interview and concert arrangement of the Raiders March are unnecessary.

The extra track from Raiders of the Lost Ark is superior to the Well of the Souls track that's on the single Raiders disc.

The extra music from Temple of Doom is good, but it's not better than anything on the single ToD disc.

But the extra music from Last Crusade do enhance the single disc Last Crusade, particularly the Wrong Choice, Right Choice track.

::sniff:: OMG you guys are so mean to me...AS IF! ::sniff::

seriously though, if concord didn't put the extra music on the individual releases then they obviously didn't want me to have it.

no but seriously, i'll admit i screwed up. i remember reading about the extra cues when the indy box set was first announced. but when i saw that they were individually releasing them all my common sense and logic went out the window and i ordered them quick fast and in a hurry. i've got them now and i still thoroughly enjoy them (even with its problems). one day i'll get those extra cues.

one day...

seriously though, if concord didn't put the extra music on the individual releases then they obviously didn't want me to have it.

Uhhh I hate to break it to you but, Concord didn't do the initial releases of the original scores. The sound quality on those are inferior to the originals (maybe except DCC Raiders).

It's worth to get the Concord box set even if you all ready own KOTCS.

Uhhh I hate to break it to you but, Concord didn't do the initial releases of the original scores. The sound quality on those are inferior to the originals (maybe except DCC Raiders).

It's worth to get the Concord box set even if you all ready own KOTCS.

heh, that part was supposed to be a joke. sorry if it wasn't clear...or funny for that matter.

I ignored my doubts and purchased Danny Elfman's Wanted.

any good? i've listened to bits and pieces and i get the impression that its going to sound like Proof of Life or The Kingdom.

I do not know yet, I purchased it from Amazon.com. And I sincerely hope it does not sound like those scores... in fact, comparisons to those scores is what made me hesitate buying it for about eight months.

Oh, and I purchased 1941 from Amazon.com for twelve Dollars. I now have $49.00 remaining....

Le Cid - Massanet

That is that one opera based on El Cid, right? If so, is Rosza's El Cid related to it in any form?

Oh, and I purchased 1941 from Amazon.com for twelve Dollars. I now have $49.00 remaining....

Excellent purchase.

Thank you.

Le Cid - Massanet

That is that one opera based on El Cid, right? If so, is Rosza's El Cid related to it in any form?

Excellent purchase.

Thank you.

It's based on the story of El Cid but has no connection to Rozsa's version.

I'm trying to have fun but I have to say, it's not terribly interesting! It has a nice musical ballet sequence in it and that music is pretty cool, but beyond that there are very few highlights. I think the subject matter just isn't suited to the composer's style.

Oh, that is unfortunate. Would that ballet piece be called "Aragonaise", by any chance? If so, I think I may be fleetingly familiar with this opera....

Also, a quick search shows that Jule Massenet's "game", so to speak, was romantic operas, so Massenet, I would think, was very much in his element writing Le Cid.