Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a whole bunch of stuff...but just 20 minutes ago I got The Big Country, and I popped it in. Terrific, just as I thought would be.

Ahhh gotcha. I wouldn't want to loose that one too. I'm glad I was able to pick up the original 9 track version for Star Trek TMP. I've never had it in my collection and I was fortunate enough to find someone to scan the covers for it for me since when I bought mine it just came with the disc.

A lot of stuff:

Dune Expanded

The Cider House Rules

X-Men

Mars Attacks

Robocop 3

Lonesome Dove

Legends of the Fall

King of Kings

Ben-Hur: The Essential Miklos Rozsa

Citizen Kane: The Essential Bernard Herrmann

Citizen Kane: The Classic Film scores of Bernard Herrmann

Cinema Gala: Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane: The Classic Film scores of Bernard Herrmann

;)bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown

Received today:

The Last Run

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes

The Hindenburg

Max Dugan Returns

True Grit

Listening to Sherlock Holmes right now, great stuff!

I got a whole crap-load of stuff. Wrote a whole post about them a few weeks back, but it got erased. Just as well- I've gotten a whole lot more since.

In no particular order (with slight explanations why, aside from general completion goals):

Thomas Newman- Scent of A Woman (love 'Tract House Ginch'), Little Children (End titles are one of the best things Newman's written, rest of it should be good), Oscar and Lucinda (Got it after I heard a clip of the wonderfully exhubrent 'Floorwashing', fell in love with the main theme. 'The Glass Cathedral' is amazing'

Goldsmith- The Vanishing (Strictly for completiong. Not a very good album, and though I do like the theme, I already had it on the JG at Fox set), Angie (heard the main theme was good. I was not impressed)

Conti- Karate Kid (I had to, even though I can barely recall the films, much less the music)

Doyle- Wah-Wah (Heard it was very good, and I want to give Doyle another chance after a bunch of dissapointments)

Desplat- Painted Vale (Heard it was great, love Desplat)

Donnagio- Don't Look Know (liked it in the film)

Glass- Thin Blue line (was bidding on a John Adams CD, and the same guy had a whole bunch of minimalist stuff. I ended up winning this and 'The Chairman Dances' CD, but not the CD I wanted- 'Harmonielehre')

David Newman- Bowfinger (I just love the score)

Moross- The Big Country (Favorite western theme and score ever)

Kamen- The Iron Giant (Liked it in the film), Brazil (It was cheap)

Elfman- Dolores Clairborne (Loved the MFADT2 tracks)

Bernstein- The Man With The Golden Arm (heard it was a seminal score, I absolutely love it), Oscar (I'm one of hte few people who liked the film, and recalled good music in there. Haven't found it yet.), The Grifters (I like the theme, even though I find it annoying as hell)

Bachrach- Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid (I just had to have 'South American Getaway' on CD)

Fenton- 84 Charing Cross Road (It was selling out, the Varese pressure got to me. It'll probably get as much play time as the other Fenton score I own, Valiant (which is to say, none at all)

Randy Newman- Toy Story (I like Newman's scores. Surprisingly classicaly based. Very Russian)

Yared- Breaking and Entering (It was cheap, and I try to like Yared. Not impressed up to this point)

Fenton- 84 Charing Cross Road (It was selling out, the Varese pressure got to me. It'll probably get as much play time as the other Fenton score I own, Valiant (which is to say, none at all)

I strongly suggest Blue Planet and/or Deep Blue, plus Ever After.

I stumbled upon Blue Planet at the store the other day. Nearly bought it, but didn't after listening to some samples (the samples were rubbish, though - random segments in the middle of tracks, and crappy bitrates). Maybe I'll check it out online first.

In my continued support for the masterful Philadelphia Orchestra, I bought these recent releases...

philorch1ud3.jpg

philorch2hy3.jpg

This one is on pre-order, doesn't come out for another couple weeks.

philorch3pg9.jpg

I already have these, but I strongly recommend them on the performance, and on pure sound. All of these works were recorded live at the Orchestras new home for the last new years, with new accoustics. Thank God they got a great recording deal with Ondine.

philorch4bt5.jpg

philorch5wd6.jpg

Tim, who is exited to be seeing Mahler's 2nd Symphony ("Resurrection") next Saturday with this fantastic Orchestra! They'll be recording it too!

Arrived today:

Last Stand at Saber River - David Shire

Holly vs. Hollywood - Douglass Fake

The Changeling - Ken Wannberg & various

Listening to Last Stand at Saber River right now, very nice. :P

Lion in the Winter - John Barry, original recording

Citizen Kane - Joel McNeely Re-recording

Jane Eyre - Bernard Herrmann, conducted by Adriano

Cape Fear - conducted and adapted by Elmer Bernstein

The Mask of Zorro - James Horner

The Godfather Suite - arranged by Carmine Coppola

I stumbled upon Blue Planet at the store the other day. Nearly bought it, but didn't after listening to some samples (the samples were rubbish, though - random segments in the middle of tracks, and crappy bitrates). Maybe I'll check it out online first.

So check out "Deep Blue". Some of the material from "Blue Planet" is there (at least I have heard that it is so), but the "DB" album is said to be superior - more and better music, better quality of recording and so on... I own "DB" and I don't regret it - it's worthy buying.

So check out "Deep Blue". Some of the material from "Blue Planet" is there (at least I have heard that it is so), but the "DB" album is said to be superior - more and better music, better quality of recording and so on... I own "DB" and I don't regret it - it's worthy buying.

DB has better sound and the better orchestra - Fenton even seems to have beefed up some brass lines for the Berlin players. I'm still glad to have both releases, as some of my favourite bits from BP aren't in DB. But if you only want one, I guess DB is the way to go.

Not exactly a new purchase, but I finally got around to ripping the isolated score from the Adventures of Robin Hood DVD. It's nice, but I think I'll be listening to the two re-recordings more often.

Finally got Starship Troopers. Just started listening to it, but it's already almost over. (I'm loving "They Will Win".) I know there are several expanded versions out there. Any particular, most complete version to look for?

The Special Edition DVD has an isolated score. I think there are other boots out there, but I don't know what the quality is like.

Kendal.. I got the full complete score (minus the source music) for Starship Troopers which includes some unused music. By the way Kendal, did you get get my private message...?

200px-Raiders_soundtrack.jpg

Got it for $2.99 online, CD only, no case. FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Track listing

1. Raiders Of The Lost Ark (06:03)

2. Flight From Peru (02:23)

3. The Map Room; Dawn (03:55)

4. The Basket Game (04:47)

5. The Well Of The Souls (04:57)

6. Desert Chase (07:41)

7. Marion's Theme (03:10)

8. The Miracle Of The Ark (06:11)

9. The Raiders March (02:29)

AND:

8f4eff3304814002ab5b35e26823cb0a.jpg

Mark, did you get the Friedhofer and North Intrada scores? If so, what do you think of them? I'm still undecided about those two.

I pre-ordered Naxos' Sea Hawk 2-CD set. Looking forward to it. :shakehead:

The White Buffalo - John Barry

Bite The Bullet - Alex North

Bride Of Frankenstein - Franz Waxman

Cutthroat Island - John Debney