Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just recieved it today, only gave a couple of tracks a listen. Sounds very interesting and intense, but I need to listen to the whole thing.

I agree 10000% with Planet Earth - some of the most awe-inspiring music I've ever heard.

I recently found JNH's The Package, Ottman's Lake Placid (not a fan off Ottman but I'll give it a try) and a complete Family Plot, but have yet to listen to any of them what with project work...

Got Silvestri's Forrest Gump today. I've had the CD-R for years, wanted to order the original thing from Amazon these days, but stumbled across it today while I was looking for something else (how typical ;)). (I also bought Symphony X's latest, Paradise Lost.)

• 2 weeks later...

Found Silvestri's Forest Gump in Barnes and Noble today, this is the first time I've seen the score album. Also picked up the Silva rerecording of Lawrence of Arabia and Williams' The Patriot.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seahawk_8570110.gif

First impressions: The Sea Hawk falls short of the Kojian recording (I won't compare it to Gerhardt's because he recorded so little of it). The soprano solo is much too heavy operatic, and the two choir bits sound rather awful. But of course there's a LOT more music than in any previous release (OST recording included). And it does already make a much better impression on the second listen.

Deception though was stunning. Quite a great score, of which I previously only knew the Cello Concerto. And while the version of the concerto presented here is shorter than the concert reworking, and in some passages it's obvious the cellist isn't quite at the same level as those on other recordings, its drive is very formidable and overall, it doesn't have to hide behind its contenders.

Unfortunately, the sound seems a little muddy except in the fortissimo passages (of which Sea Hawk thankfully has many).

Now if this comes across as rather negative, it shouldn't... even after only one listen, I can very much recommend it. Just don't skip the other available recordings. :)

After a second listen, I can say that The Sea Hawk is very good indeed. No complaints there, except for the vocalists. The choir is horrid, and the soprano has a ridiculously strong accent. Other than that, great.

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at an independant used record/cd/dvd store in Princeton today and found some good stuff at GOOD prices!

Rhino 2-Disc Superman set - $11.99, this thing looks like it was never even touched by the previous owner!

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - $4.99 i think this was some sort of radio station sample or something...it is the whole album, regular packaging and all, but on the front of the booklet stamped in gold foil is "For promotional use only. Sale or other transfer is prohibited. Must be returned on demand of recording company". pretty interesting.

The Good the Bad and the Ugly - $7.99

The Godfather - $1.99

Lady in the Water - $6.99

They had a LOT of other great scores too...but i was on a budget.

I just got LOTR FOTR CR. The booklet was amazing, and I did like some of the extra music (particularly the stuff from the Shire), but there wasn't TOO much stuff I liked that wasn't already on the OST. The only reason I'm getting that and TT CR is just so I'm up to date on all the themes and stuff used in ROTK CR, which I am defenetly getting! I expected to be really wowed at first, though. Is it normal to feel this way after a first listening to FotR CR, or did you all love it right away?

Batman (Danny Elfman). Better than I thought! I was a bit reluctant to get this soundtrack at first, but I'm glad I did. I think a lot of the sound affects covered a lot of the good music in the film. This is my ninth Danny Elfman soundtrack. I love the carnival-like music when The Joker shoots his boss.

Goldsmith's "Star Trek:TMP" - original release (with only 40 min. of music)

That's the only version of ST:TMP I have.

Batman (Danny Elfman). Better than I thought! I was a bit reluctant to get this soundtrack at first, but I'm glad I did. I think a lot of the sound affects covered a lot of the good music in the film. This is my ninth Danny Elfman soundtrack. I love the carnival-like music when The Joker shoots his boss.

Yeah, that's one of the greatest Elfman's work and my favourite so far (at least among these which I've heard).

Goldsmith's "Star Trek:TMP" - original release (with only 40 min. of music)

That's the only version of ST:TMP I have.

I hope this cream de la cream will make me not miss the missing music that much

Michael Clayton, The Kingdom, and The Darjeeling Limited.

And how are they?

I have yet to listen to Michael Clayton.

The Kingdom is a very new sound for Danny Elfman, IMO it's basically a RC-score what will all the synth and all, but others would disagree with me (see The Kingdom thread I started).

The Darjeeling Limited, to my surprise did not include any original score by Mark Mothersbaugh. Instead, Wes Anderson used score from movies by some of his favorite Indian film-makers. It also includes the usual types of songs Anderson uses in his films. I particularly enjoy the songs by The Kinks.

Meh, the most exciting Radiohead-related release is the score to There Will Be Blood. It's been getting some great reviews.

I just bought Cream's Disraeli Gears, since I have yet to hear something by them that I don't like.

Plus, I can't think of a time of day when you can't use some good, old psychodelia.

I have just managed to get these recently

The Departed

X-Men

Mr Holland's Opus

Mouse Hunt

mousehunt is a GREAT soundtrack!!! The theme is so fun!!

Does anyone know of good places to buy soundtracks in NYC? I have been to J&R Music and Virgin Records and they have tons of CDs, but I am still disappointed in their soundtrack selections. Any ideas on other worthwhile places to look?

Cutthroat Island finally arrived. So far, it is a great listening experiance. I LOVE the main titles, I think they're almost as good as Superman main titles, and many things written by Danny Elfman. The 17 min. cue is great too, along w/ Carriage Chase. I look forward to being able to know this score more!

Anybody know what the difference between the two "Carriage Chase"s are? Alternate cues, album edits, etc...?

It's $1.99 on Amazon.

For a used CD, to which I have to add $6.89 for them to ship it here plus a waiting time of 6-8 weeks. ;)

EDIT: Plus I noticed that Malaysia aint covered by Amazon.com payments either. ;)

I went into NYC the other day and checked out the Academy Records store. They have a huge selection of classical music, but they also have some soundtracks. As far as Williams goes, they had Angela's Ashes, Hook, and Born on the Fourth of July for $4 (used), but they also had the Close Encounters Sp. Ed. (new) for $9, which I thought was a good price. I do wish they would have had a better selection of soundtracks, considering that they had shelves full of classical music.

Fellowship of the Ring (OST) - Howard Shore

Groundhog Day - George Fenton

Father of the Bride - Alan Silvestri

Pops Stoppers: Greatest Hits of the Boston Pops Orchestra - John Williams

The Very Best of Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops: Top 20

I LOVE the main titles, I think they're almost as good as Superman main titles, and many things written by Danny Elfman.

I have not heard a note from this score, but from this sentence, I have absolutely no idea what the hell to expect from the main titles.

Fellowship is great, but ROTK beats it by a lot.

Maybe my opinion will change when I get the ROTK CR, but right now, I have to agree.

:)

There really wasn't any major logic to my purchase. I was at used book/music place, picked up the other two scores and found out I could get three scores for $20, so I went back and double checked what they had and grabbed the OST. I had wanted it for a while, with all the non-CR material on it, so this was a convenient time to get it. I do love FOTR, though--and I'm not as familiar with ROTK, so I couldn't properly judge which I like better.