Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

31D840EXDNL._AA115_.jpg

I was kind of on the fence about this. I've seen the movie and liked some of the score. The rest of it, not so much.

You really need the promo score to appreciate what Kamen did.

I know it's still a month and a half away, but I can't wait!

Yeah that's a bit premature isn't it ;)

I must say I never ever pre-order.

I also jumped on that CD and ordered Heavy Metal.

Other soundtrack acquisitions have been of late:

Superman FSM Box Set- Williams, Thorne, Courage etc.

A Beautiful Mind- Horner

The New World- Horner

Heavy Metal- Bernstein

Non film scores:

Shostakovich complete symphonies- Bernard Haitink cond. (super cool!)

Prokofiev Complete Symphonies- Valery Gergeiv (awesome!)

Cold Turkey- R. Newman

Throw Momma from The Train- D. Newman

Point Break- Isham

Legend of Butch and Sundance- Poledouris

Alien- Goldsmith (at last)

The Blue Box

As well as all four Varese sets. I wish I'd waited to days, to get Heavy Metal in there.

Star Trek The Next Generation: "Encounter at Farpoint" by Dennis McCarthy

The Best of Star Trek 30th Anniversary Special

The Joshua Tree (Deluxe Edition) by U2

Conana the Barbarian: It's my first BP score. The only others scores I own from 1982 are ET and STII, so this is a welcomed addition.

Planet of the Apes: My 12th Elfman soundtrack.

The Bourne Ultimatum: Saw the movie awhile ago, but nothing impressed me. After listening to the iTunes samples, I think I'll give it a shot. It's my 3rd Powell soundtrack, but my first that's not co-composed by Harry Gregson-Williams.

I also ordered Beauty and the Beast, because I'm really enjoying Pocahontas, and those comments on the AM thread were just too hard to pass up. Also, Sleepy Hollow, loved the way it sounded in the film, especially the score to the Scissorhands-esque dream sequences.

In the last few days, I bought/received:

- David Newman - Matilda

- Alex North - Viva Zapata!/The 13th Letter

- Alex Poelman - Symphony No. 1 'The Seven Wonders of the Ancient World' for symphonic band

- Gustav Holst, arr. Geert Schrijvers - The Planets Op. 32 for symphonic band

The Bourne Ultimatum: Saw the movie awhile ago, but nothing impressed me. After listening to the iTunes samples, I think I'll give it a shot. It's my 3rd Powell soundtrack, but my first that's not co-composed by Harry Gregson-Williams.

One of the best action scores ever composed. Buy it.

Sleepy Hollow just arrived. I'm really enjoying this one so far (only on track 8). The Main Titles are brilliant (as usual), I love the dream sequences, and there's some great score other than those. I can really see myself enjoying this score more in the future, and it makes up for the last Elfman scores I bought, Planet of the Apes, which was very dissapointing. My 13th Elfman score (13! For an Elfman score, that's got to mean something!)

I just ordered from Varese:

Matilda - David Newman

North by Northwest: The Complete Score - Bernard Herrmann

Heartbeeps - John Williams

Looking forward to this shipment! :lol:

I like some of the music from Matilda, but I also think that some of it is a bit...corny. Then again, it was for a childrens' film. And besides, I can't base my opinion of a composer on just one score.

"Matilda Writes Her Name" is a great, great track.

"Home from the Hospital".....isn't.

The fact that it's a score by David Newman makes me not want to listen to it. My experience with his work has led me to believe that he will never compose something worthy of my ears. Mind you, that is my opinion. Many of you have done the same with other composers.

The fact that it's a score by David Newman makes me not want to listen to it. My experience with his work has led me to believe that he will never compose something worthy of my ears. Mind you, that is my opinion. Many of you have done the same with other composers.

I respect your opinion, but looking at your score list, I see you only have four scores by DN. That's way more than me, and I'm not saying I agree or disagree with your opinion (as I only have one score by David), but you might want to listen to more of his scores before making such a strong opinion of him. Again, I wouldn't know, but the four score you own could be the War of the Worlds of David Newman. :P

Williams can be corny, too. Sometime corn tastes good, though. :mellow:

So if you heard a great score, and found out it was by David Newman, you'd just grimace and say, "Oh, I guess I'll chuck it then. It's by...David Newman"? I know you've said you've got a lot of scores you haven't even listened to yet. Have you listened to The War of the Roses and The Sandlot yet? I haven't heard the former, but if it the sample on Varese is any indication, it should be great. The latter I'm quite familiar with, and since I don't have the CD yet, I can't tell how well the short selection represents the score, but it's a good one. Have you heard The Brave Little Toaster or Galaxy Quest? It seems like you're writing him off based on a small selection of (I think) lesser known stuff.

Braveheart by James Horner. Every time I hit the cd store I randomly check through the used soundtracks and occasionally I find something I don't have for the right price.

Williams can be corny, too. Sometime corn tastes good, though. :blink:

Yeah, I guess it's not really the corniness I mind. I don't know excactly what it is, there are just cues that doesn't sound...good. But others sounds fantastic.

Is Braveheart any good? There a billion used copies of it in a local CD store, but I've never actually gotten it.

Is Braveheart any good? There a billion used copies of it in a local CD store, but I've never actually gotten it.

It is, IMHO one of the finest Horner's achievements of the 90s. Since you have access to used copies, they are probably a dime a dozen, so you really don't have an excuse not to buy it. :blink: Really, it's a good soundtrack (yes, yes, with all the Hornerisms, obviously :eek:), so why not add it to your collection.

Williams can be corny, too. Sometime corn tastes good, though. :P

So if you heard a great score, and found out it was by David Newman, you'd just grimace and say, "Oh, I guess I'll chuck it then. It's by...David Newman"? I know you've said you've got a lot of scores you haven't even listened to yet. Have you listened to The War of the Roses and The Sandlot yet? I haven't heard the former, but if it the sample on Varese is any indication, it should be great. The latter I'm quite familiar with, and since I don't have the CD yet, I can't tell how well the short selection represents the score, but it's a good one. Have you heard The Brave Little Toaster or Galaxy Quest? It seems like you're writing him off based on a small selection of (I think) lesser known stuff.

I have The War Of The Roses/The Sandlot CD. It's decent, but nothing special. I'm actually watching The Sandlot in psychology this week, and the movie is just aweful. The score isn't anything memorable either.

I've said this before maybe once or twice: One or two good scores do not make the respective composer good.

Also, I'm not writing him off on a small selection. 95% of his filmography is trash. I've seen plenty of movies scored by him, me having only a couple scores doesn't mean I'm not familiar with his work.

Aw, come on! The Sandlot is a fun movie! :P

Now one or two good scores may not make the composer great, but if a composer puts out at least a couple of enjoyable scores, then he can hardly be deemed a talentless pile of crap, either. People diss Williams's score for AOTC (I'm not one of them). Many claim he was less into it because of the mediocrity of the source. So if the grandmaster can be thrown off by poor quality, then what does David Newman do with Norbit? (I don't know if Bowfinger is any good, although the "Fed Ex Delivers" cue is great). I'm listening to The Cat in the Hat on the Yahoo Music Jukebox right now, and I'm not hearing crap. Now, this is not 5 star brilliance, but it's definitely a pleasant listen. I'm curious as to what it is about his music you hate so much. And which scores of his would you call the worst of the worst David Newman scores? Like, pick something like 3-5 scores that really mess you over.

I'm impressed by some of the samples of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey at Intrada, and I'm intrigued by Throw Momma From the Train. Have you heard any of those? Also, what do you think of Galaxy Quest?

Throw Momma From The Train is decent. I can't actively recall Galaxy Quest, it's been awhile since I've seen it. However, it has received a lot of praise. Maybe I'll check it out again.

What I don't like about him is that his music is very generic and the same. There is never really anything thematic or structured. He's typecast into doing the absolute worst movies ever. It shouldn't be a deciding factor whether not to listen to a score, but to a degree it really is. I do not want to listen to something like Norbit or Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins.

His worst you ask? I cannot stand his Scooby-Doo scores. Jingle All The Way is dreaded. His Flinstones scores are bad.

Throw Momma From The Train is decent. I can't actively recall Galaxy Quest, it's been awhile since I've seen it. However, it has received a lot of praise. Maybe I'll check it out again.

Yeah, definitely check out Galaxy Quest.

What I don't like about him is that his music is very generic and the same. There is never really anything thematic or structured.

This may be a problem with the worse scores (which I haven't heard), but in the scores I've heard they are both enjoyable and thematic(not sure what you mean by structured). And if Newman's music is generic, dollop some more of that generic on my plate, please! :P I heard some thematic workings in TMFTT, the main theme in Galaxy Quest is a lot of fun, and it ticked me off to find there was no official score release. The Sandlot seems to be fairly poorly represented on the Varese Club release (does anyone know why they split the CD into two ridiculously short selections, as opposed to at least incomplete OSTs with reasonable running times?), and is possibly my favorite of David Newman's. It looks like none of the jazzy cues (really nice) are present on the release, and cues like "Squints' Big Move" and a lot of the cool, earlier Beast cues are absent. I noticed three memorable themes particularly. Also, I've only heard a track from Silva representing Driving Miss Daisy, but it seems like some of the early unreleased material would appeal to you if you like that score. I understand you might not be able to pay attention to the music if you're having to study the psych, but the music's very enjoyable.

He's typecast into doing the absolute worst movies ever. It shouldn't be a deciding factor whether not to listen to a score, but to a degree it really is. I do not want to listen to something like Norbit or Welcome Home, Roscoe Jenkins.

That's understandable. It would be nice to see him getting a really good movie. From the sound clips I've heard, those are far from his best material.

His worst you ask? I cannot stand his Scooby-Doo scores. Jingle All The Way is dreaded. His Flinstones scores are bad.

I'll have to look into those. Aside from hearing the main titles of the first Flintstones movie (which I enjoyed), I am totally unfamiliar to these.

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :P

Now I can get rid of that crappy sounding, illegally downloaded version I had and not feel guilty anymore! :fouetaa:

314RHrhruLL._AA110_.jpg

Got this off Amazon as an MP3 download. I'm glad they took my advice and put it up for sale. :P

Now I can get rid of that crappy sounding, illegally downloaded version I had and not feel guilty anymore! :fouetaa:

Couldn't you have bought the game at a bargain bin and just rename the mp3s from there?

So if you heard a great score, and found out it was by David Newman, you'd just grimace and say, "Oh, I guess I'll chuck it then. It's by...David Newman"?

Now that's an analogy that I think would apply well to a certain other composer. People here don't like them because of a stereotype, but there are smaller scores that you wouldn't easily recognise as by them. I can picture people then throwing out the album and thinking 'crap... I like a ******** score, what's happened to me...*gasp*'.

I like Newman's scores to Galaxy Quest, Ice Age and Brokedown Palace (that one's really beautiful). The promo from Bowfinger is also a little bit of fun, although the movie didn't really live up to my expectations. He doesn't really excite me as a composer, but I would be interested in any work from him that fell into these kinds of genres- and no, Norbit is not one of them. Haven't seen it of course but it looks like a perfect way to throw 2 hours down the toilet.

That's a big part of why I'm not really following Koray's train of thought here, because he's very vocal against that particularly stereotyping (I'm amazed at how many posts we've gone without specifically naming the composer we all know we're talking about! :P ), and yet seems to be demonstrating the same attitude against Newman, a composer who definitely can write and is talented, even if his style may not be his favorite.

I know Newman did Serenity recently, but I've heard less than favorable comments on it from his fans. At the same time, it seems that he may have been yielding to odd directorial demands score-wise. It would be nice for him to get the opportunity to really rip one out for a good movie.

Yeah, Ice Age was pretty good. I liked that opening theme.

Oh it's much more than the opening theme. There's some beautiful piano work and the last couple of tracks are a great ride.

Serenity.. just looked it up on IMDB and it almost looks worth seeing. I can imagine how a score for such a movie might work great within its context, and not so much away from it though. As you said, it's all too often about directorial demands. There seem to be many composers these days who just need to get onto a film with a decent budget and more freedom with the music.