IV. Jupiter - 7:36 / 8:04 / 8:12

V. Saturn - 9:22 / 9:55 / 7:48

VI. Uranus - 6:03 / 6:06 / 5:27

VII. Neptune - 8:47 / 7:56 / 6:37

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Solomon's Mines (Goldsmith) - Filling another gap in my collection; haven't listened yet

Tell us what you think when you have :lol:

Karajan/Dutoit/Marriner:

I. Mars - 7:21 / 7:12 / 7:42

II. Venus - 8:37 / 9:38 / 7:39

III. Mercury - 4:16 / 3:58 / 4:01

IV. Jupiter - 7:36 / 8:04 / 8:12

V. Saturn - 9:22 / 9:55 / 7:48

VI. Uranus - 6:03 / 6:06 / 5:27

VII. Neptune - 8:47 / 7:56 / 6:37

Great, thank you very much.

And after a second listen, it's not bad really. Jupiter sounds too heavy and oom-pah-ish, not very British. But some stuff in Saturn for example is quite different than I'm used to, and Neptune is very good. Overall, I thought it sounded more like Star Wars than I've ever heard this work before.

King Solomon's Mines (Goldsmith) - Filling another gap in my collection; haven't listened yet

Tell us what you think when you have :o

It's fun. Orchestra's having a hard time keeping up with the score, but it's listenable. Seemed a bit repetitive after one listen, but perhaps there's much more to pick up when I pay more attention. The Wagner rendition is REALLY poor (and the orchestra doesn't seem to be very disciplined, either).

Yes, I wonder if that's why you can hear Goldsmith just before take saying "This should be fun" with a hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Cold Mountain by Gabriel Yared, I'm mainly interested in it for the Jack White songs.

Return of the Jedi: The Original Radio Drama, purely for the collection I'll probably listen to it once.

I also received Baby today, along with a Dimitri Tiomkin trading card. Who else thinks we need a separate area for trading composer trading cards? :)

No we don't need a seperate thread for those.

I doubt 75% of the members here really care about the cards. Besides FSM has about 20 seperate threads for those damn things. ;)

I'm not really interested in them, if I get one in my order fine. I'm not placing 7 orders a week to get them all. In fact I think I gave away my Rozsa card. ;)

Sleepers (Williams)

Kings Row / The Sea Wolf (Korngold)

The Two Towers Complete Recordings (Shore - ordered from MTV.com!)

I have a Superman Box and a She magnet. Compared to those, the collector's cards are mainstream... most people probably would have a hard figuring out what the magnets represent to begin with. ROTFLMAO

Tell us what you think when you have ROTFLMAO

On my second listen now - love it. How could I not, it's like a mix between Rambo II (or perhaps III) and Legend.

Additions since last time:

Symphony #7 (Bruckner, Karajan, 1989) - Because I've read so many great things about it. It's really good, too, though no match for Celibidache's (and I didn't expect it to be).

Boris Godunov (Mussorgsky/Rimsky-Korsakov, Karajan) - Replacing an old & damaged CDR with the Decca Originals release... I have to do a direct comparison, but it does seem to sound even better

Alexander Nevsky/Scythian Suite/Lieutentant Kije (Prokofiev, Abbado) - I'm not a big Abbado fan, so I wasn't surprised when I found his Nevsky inferior to Previn's - but his Kije is great. My reason for getting this is the Scythian Suite though, and now I understand why it's getting so much praise. And Steiner seems to have liked it, too.

Got the Varesssse (just making sure I'm pronouncing it right) 30th anniversary set from 7Digital.

There are a few tracks not to my taste (Rodriguez' stuff and some of other more modern tracks) but overall it's an inspired selection, and it's definitely true what they say about these sets - they open you up to material you would never otherwise hear, either because they are composers you've never heard of, or the films didn't interest you.

Thinking about whether to get Lost S3 on a real CD or not (decided Indy definitely deserves that treatment). I don't own either of the first two so there's arguments on both sides.

Amistad just arrived! In addition to it being my 45th JW soundtrack, it is my 150th soundtrack! It's been a long way since my humble begginings of The Phantom Menace, and I have still a long way to go.

Next on my list:

I Am Legend

Heartbeeps

The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad

The Emperor's New Groove

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Oh, and Koray, god of the MV scores, is Powell's Horton Hears a Who! worth buying?

Stargate: Ark of Truth

Despite the fact I don't even have the original Stargate score, I went ahead and got it so I don't have to worry about it selling out before I bought it.

I received my copy of the Stargate: Ark Of Truth CD today from Peter... can't wait to hear it.

Peter? Who's that?

Still contemplating whether to get Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman.

I just saw that today, is it new?

Picked up from the used/new cd shop...

Sudden Impact - Schifrin

Mulan - Goldsmith

Shrek - Gregson-Williams/Powell

King of Kings - Rosza

Still contemplating whether to get Standard Operating Procedure by Danny Elfman.

I just saw that today, is it new?

Yeah, I've kwown about it for a few weeks. I saw it on Varese's page when Lost Season 3 was announced. It's some kind of documentary.

Roar

I finally created an Itunes account to get it. I wish it was available outside of Itunes. Legally that is.

Roar

I finally created an Itunes account to get it. I wish it was available outside of Itunes. Legally that is.

I really like having these things on CD. At least they released it.

I had to order a textbook for a class (my last college class!) so I ordered Lost Season 1 with it.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Turns out a local retailer wasn't familiar with release dates and put its CDs on sale in advance. Lucky! Let me just say that it's amazing. However, I really hate the last minute of "Finale." I just couldn't believe it when I first heard it. You guys will know what I'm talking about when the CD is released.

Thanks for sharing the soundtrack, Henry! Having just listened to it, I know what you mean about "Finale," but I can see it growing on me.

Whoa...have you guys listened beyond the last track? There's a hidden cue that appears to be a full concert arrangement of the Force Theme. Weird choice by LucasFilm.