Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting enough, it came with 2 booklets inside.

My CD of Paycheck had two back covers, strangely.

So I got one of them autographed :o

Current SAE batch:

In the Bedroom (Newman)

In Bruges (Burwell)

Mobsters (Small)

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (20TH Anniversary) (Goldmith- ashamed to say, I've only had the original CD and mp3's so far)

The Omen Trilogy (Goldsmith- only have the older release)

The New World (Horner)

Lost: Season 3 (Giacchino)

The Stuntman/ An Unmarried Woman (Frontiere/Conti)

The Accidental tourist (Williams)

Zodiac (Shore)

51mtEgqEhLL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Took a while to arrive (apparently, it ended up in someone else's mailbox). My classification after the first listen was "reasonably decent", but then, the first two albums took a few listens until I became all excited. Liking this much better on the second go already.

The complete 2 CD Alien finally arrived a few days ago (from FSM; I also ordered Don Davis's The Beast). I can't believe just what a masterpiece this is, I'm listening to it every chance I get. ^_^ The original score as it was composed and intended for the movie is light years ahead of what ended up being in the movie (due to Scott's decisions of course), and how great it sounds! Definitely one of the finest film music works of all time.

Glad you're enjoying it! Great score.

Got from Half-Price Books:

Mmhmm - Relient K

I'm torn right now. I've been spending on CDs and going to see KOTCS twice (third time my cousin paid for it), but I've gotten to the point where I really want to grab Monsignor and The Accidental Tourist, and as big of a Broughton fan, I'm kind of hesitating on The Ice Pirates. Agh...

Monsignor is a pretty nice score, I enjoy it. I would get it, if only, so it doesn't run out.

My SAE order just arrived (heh, I've never said that before)!

Got The Accidental Tourist and Heartbeeps, as well as a Basil Poulderious trading card (the only score by him I own is Conan the Barbarian). Haven't listened to either of them yet, but I can't wait. My 47th and 48th JW soundtracks.

Excellent. I haven't heard The Accidental Tourist, though I plan on getting it, and Heartbeeps is terrific. Have fun!

EDIT: And for Poledouris, I own The Hunt for Red October and The Jungle Book, and they're both great. I believe the latter is OOP, but when I got it it was for a reasonable price. Of course, that was several years ago now, so...

My SAE order arrived today, featuring The Accidental Tourist and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (in digipack). It also included a Dimitri Tiomkin card and an SAE fridge magnet (I now have two, both different).

I'm very happy with The Accidental Tourist. It's a lovely score and the improvement in sound quality is magnificent. I'm listening to a bit of it now.

I suppose after this I'll pop in Indy and see what all the hubbub's been about.

- Marc, who has yet to hear Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull on album...

[...] and an SAE fridge magnet (I now have two, both different).

I now also have two, but they're both the same, bloody hell! :D I'll complain to SAE! ;)

Anybody got any idea if it's worth getting Horner's Gorky Park (I saw it at the local CD store at not too high a price)? I don't rebember ever reading anything positive or negative about this score. <_< Any suggestions?

Godzilla - David Arnold

At $55, this is the most expensive CD I've ever bought.

That's all it goes for? Where did you get it from?

Ebay. I lost an auction but the seller gave me a second chance offer.

I had totally forgotten Godzilla was limited. I was surprised for a moment when you mentioned the high price.

- Marc, who would like to mention he has an autographed copy, just for the sake of gloating.

FSM Accidental Tourist, The River and The Prayer Cycle by Jonathan Elias.

Godzilla - David Arnold

At $55, this is the most expensive CD I've ever bought.

That's all it goes for? Where did you get it from?

Ebay. I lost an auction but the seller gave me a second chance offer.

Hmm, that's not an entirely unreasonable price, I guess I'll have to start checking there.

I had totally forgotten Godzilla was limited. I was surprised for a moment when you mentioned the high price.

- Marc, who would like to mention he has an autographed copy, just for the sake of gloating.

Me too. ROTFLMAO

Picked up Speed Racer and Beneath The Planet Of The Apes.

Had in my wish list for the longest time, just never got around to buying it.

(from FSM; I also ordered Don Davis's The Beast).

so what do you think of The Beast?

I think it's pretty good for a TV movie.

I wouldn't pay $1 for Godzilla.

Uh-oh. ;) What is it you didn't like about it.

Don't mind him; he's a bit eccentric.

I suppose I shouldn't have gotten so worried about it. After all, everyone has different tastes.

Still, I would like to know why you didn't like it, koraysavas90.

I wouldn't pay $1 for Godzilla.

You suck then.

redfoxfan, I'm assuming this is the LaLa Land version you bought from ebay?

Yes, as far as I know, that's the only score release.

Vosk, if you honestly believe I like mostly RC stuff, you're dead wrong. After all, I am on a JW website. I just don't like David Arnold.

Arnold, Bates, Tyler, Debney, Edelman. Those are the main composers I dislike. Everything else I'm fine with.

Oh no I support Hans Zimmer! Let's all just point out what Koray likes that we hate and criticize him for it.

Anybody got any idea if it's worth getting Horner's Gorky Park (I saw it at the local CD store at not too high a price)? I don't rebember ever reading anything positive or negative about this score. ;) Any suggestions?

Any Horner score (especially those early 1980s scores) is definitely worth getting. 1983 being one of his most profilic with Krull, The Dresser, Gorky Park and Brainstorm

Oh no I support Hans Zimmer! Let's all just point out what Koray likes that we hate and criticize him for it.

Kora, I think it's time you saw Elysium.

I just don't like David Arnold.

Then I don't like you.

Edit: On a side note my SAE order came today. I now own the Superman FSM blue box set as well as LaLa Land's Bad Boys. ;) I also got a SAE coffee mug with my order too that's pretty cool.

Vosk, if you honestly believe I like mostly RC stuff, you're dead wrong. After all, I am on a JW website. I just don't like David Arnold.

Arnold, Bates, Tyler, Debney, Edelman. Those are the main composers I dislike. Everything else I'm fine with.

Last time I checked a lot of people here don't hate Zimmer, they just find him far less stellar than you do.

And what have you heard from Arnold?

All his Bond scores, ID4, Godzilla, Zoolander, Stargate, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

I just don't like David Arnold.

Then I don't like you.

I don't hate you for liking him. But go ahead and hate, I can't do anything about it.

How about I put you across my knee and slap you till your arse cheeks are red raw???

;)

If you've heard all of those, well...I don't know man. That's just some flat-out fun music. ID4 particularly--love Russell Cates's theme.

All his Bond scores, ID4, Godzilla, Zoolander, Stargate, and probably some other stuff I can't think of right now.

You must be hearing different scores then. As stated by Delorean they're fun good scores. If you don't like those then there's no hope for you.

That's what I'm saying. It's a matter of personal taste, I don't like his sound. No reason to hate me over it.

I've mentioned it before, but I'm doing an overhaul of all my music. I've been importing all my CD's into my new Macbook. After I get everything organized I'm gonna listen to everything by composer, make accurate playlists and become familiar with everything.

So who knows, my opinions may change.

Concerning Arnold- Yeah, ID4 has always been a favorite of mine, every since I came out of that theater when I was still a teenager. The themes are patriotic and uplifting, even though I feel he could have done better with several of the cues. I really don't like his Stargate theme very much, and find those trumpet swells to be both loud and annoying. I suppose I think at times that his orchestrations can be a bit ridiculous, but that's personal preference. I'm really looking forward to his Narnia score a few years from now, though.

I like ID4, but I don't consider a masterpiece as so many do here. It's a great (not brilliant) score, much better than the crappy film.